Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

PlexApex

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a newer firmware that adds true Smart IR or is this camera still limited to Auto IR only? Side question: why does Andy charge $18 or more for the PFA130-E junction boxes and other AliExpress vendors charge $11 or $12? Thanks.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there a newer firmware that adds true Smart IR or is this camera still limited to Auto IR only? Side question: why does Andy charge $18 or more for the PFA130-E junction boxes and other AliExpress vendors charge $11 or $12? Thanks.
Most of those post slow post so a min of 3 week wait?

PlexApex

n3wb
Reaction score
Auto IR is now takes the place of Smart IR
Does Auto IR in the latest firmware fix the IR issues that were documented in the initial reviews? I'm just setting up my home system and plan to purchase two of these cameras, but I'm interested to know if I should leave IR off or try the Auto IR.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Side question: why does Andy charge $18 or more for the PFA130-E junction boxes and other AliExpress vendors charge $11 or $12? Thanks.
When you’re ready to order, send him an email or start a forum conversation with him, he can sometimes do a little better on the prices vs his stores (if you’re cool with paying via PayPal).

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Everything @aristobrat said ; AND 1 more little tidbit. If you have a Chase Freedom card then PayPal is on their 5% category this quarter for another saving ;)

When you’re ready to order, send him an email or start a forum conversation with him, he can sometimes do a little better on the prices vs his stores (if you’re cool with paying via PayPal).

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Other sellers ship via e-packet, which takes longer. Also, if you're in the US, Andy has these on sale for Black Friday, new and used

Reaction score
Most likely, because of his shipping method to the US, DHL. It is crazy fast from China/Hong Kong coming in usually 3 or 4 days. I will gladly pay his prices because of his honesty, dedication and overall customer service. He really cares about his business and customers. There, I said it.

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here’s my thoughts on Andy and other vendors whom I’ve never shopped. Andy is a trusted and proven vendor here, 2 BIG adjectives. To me and I don’t care if I’m buying a camera or any item on eBay I need to trust a vendor and there’s never going to be a time when I value saving $10 more than having the peace of mind when I order anything. I ordered 5 cameras a while back from Andy, small order maybe $600 to $700 and I did so with zero hesitation. I could not do that with any Ali Express vendor. My cameras were delivered from Hong Kong to Perdido Key Florida in 38 hours. How’s that for service? I’ll be placing a much larger order in time and I’ll sleep easy when I send payment. Just my two cents.

PlexApex

n3wb
Reaction score
Here’s my thoughts on Andy and other vendors whom I’ve never shopped. Andy is a trusted and proven vendor here, 2 BIG adjectives. To me and I don’t care if I’m buying a camera or any item on eBay I need to trust a vendor and there’s never going to be a time when I value saving $10 more than having the peace of mind when I order anything. I ordered 5 cameras a while back from Andy, small order maybe $600 to $700 and I did so with zero hesitation. I could not do that with any Ali Express vendor. My cameras were delivered from Hong Kong to Perdido Key Florida in 38 hours. How’s that for service? I’ll be placing a much larger order in time and I’ll sleep easy when I send payment. Just my two cents.
Thanks for the feedback. I've ordered two of these cameras and the booby-cam to try out in various places around my residence. DHL says they arrive tomorrow and I'm excited. I've been coming up to speed on Shinobi and so far it seems to meet my needs. I'd prefer not to spin up a Windows VM on my Linux server to run Blue Iris at this time.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
It’s an expired software license of sorts. Some got through, I had one. There’s a fix but it may not be necessary if your IVS works ok. If not let me know and I’ll help you through the process of getting it updated.

Involves downloading the Chinese version of the config tool...sending an exported file to Andy, He sends you back a file which you upload to the camera.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I think I need to update. I can draw triplines and intrusion boxes. They show up as IVS rules on smartPss. Motion detection works. What doesn't work is that the green boxes never get drawn around the objects that should trigger IVS events. Any help appreciated.

Are any of the other 5442TMs having IVS problems?

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Mine don't work full stop even after the latest firmware update and I got the Error in post#513 I ended up selling it to a mate who would never use that feature.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you see a red triangle when navigating to information, version then looking at algorithm version in the cam web GUI ?

I think I need to update. I can draw triplines and intrusion boxes. They show up as IVS rules on smartPss. Motion detection works. What doesn't work is that the green boxes never get drawn around the objects that should trigger IVS events. Any help appreciated.

korbzz

n3wb
Reaction score

Yes, having issues and Andy was unable to assist. He has gone back to Dahua and waiting response.