Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The IVS triangle warning is not limited to this model; its applicable to other models as well ;)

Campbell

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, having issues and Andy was unable to assist. He has gone back to Dahua and waiting response.
I'm also not able to get IVS to trigger on this camera, works fine on my other Dahua's (older models IPC-HDW5831R-ZE & IPC-HDW4831EM-ASE) but this one doesn't seem to want to trigger at all for me. I had the licence issue on this camera, but Andy got that resolved promptly for me. Still wondering if I'm missing something simple somewhere. Can anyone tell me how IVS setup on these AI cameras may differ to the older (non AI) cameras?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm also not able to get IVS to trigger on this camera, works fine on my other Dahua's (older models IPC-HDW5831R-ZE & IPC-HDW4831EM-ASE) but this one doesn't seem to want to trigger at all for me. I had the licence issue on this camera, but Andy got that resolved promptly for me. Still wondering if I'm missing something simple somewhere. Can anyone tell me how IVS setup on these AI cameras may differ to the older (non AI) cameras?
Any chance that the Smart Plan tab lost having IVS select? I set my first 5442 up this morning and granted I'm using it with Blue Iris, the only issue I ran into was my first IVS setup didn't save. I'm 90% sure I hit "save", but when it didn't trigger and I went back to investigate, there was nothing there. I put it in again, made sure I hit "save", and it's been triggering BI reliably since.

Campbell

n3wb
Reaction score
Any chance that the Smart Plan tab lost having IVS select? I set my first 5442 up this morning and granted I'm using it with Blue Iris, the only issue I ran into was my first IVS setup didn't save. I'm 90% sure I hit "save", but when it didn't trigger and I went back to investigate, there was nothing there. I put it in again, made sure I hit "save", and it's been triggering BI reliably since.
Thanks for that tip, but yes it's selected in the Smart Plan, I might try a full factory default and reconfigure this evening and see if that helps. SInce it sounds like I'm not experiencing something normal here.

immageek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for that tip, but yes it's selected in the Smart Plan, I might try a full factory default and reconfigure this evening and see if that helps. SInce it sounds like I'm not experiencing something normal here.
The 5442 that I had had the same issues with IVR and mine didn’t have the triangle of death either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Campbell

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, after around 7 factory defaults and reconfigurations of IVS it's started to work, so I have no idea on what caused it, but it is working now. Hopefully it continues to!

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
What part of IVS wasn't working? The setup? Not drawing green boxes around objects? Drawing the green boxes but no red trigger lines? Red trigger lines but no trigger noted? Etc....
In my case, the setup works ok but there are no green boxes.

Campbell

n3wb
Reaction score
Setup was all working fine in the web interface, but no actual events were being generated. I had email alerts setup to confirm as well as a packet capture for the ONVIF events and nothing was being sent when an object triggered the tripwire. It was pretty strange.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
If you want a fourth person to try out the new 5442TM-AS firmware, I'm willing. I've got the camera covering my driveway like bigredfish. I really really love the quality!

Are you able to get the 5442TM-AS in 6mm?
yeah, bro, i am thinking send you the firmware for checking. Will send you at US night time.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I compared the 5442 6 mm turret side-by-side against a 5231 zoom bullet, and I do believe the 2 MP starlights have been de-throned for the best night vision. External IR is used, and both cameras have their internal IR turned off. The IPC-HFW5231E-Z is zoomed to the same FOV as the fixed FOV IPC-T5442TM-AS. The 5442 is running double the bit rate as the 5231 (4096 vs. 2048 kbps). When run at 2048 kbps, the 5442's image quality is reduced, but is still better than the 5231's. It's not a controlled lab setting, but I tried my best to make sure that focus and exposure settings were not a factor in the comparisons. Here's the camera setup and full frame night image:

cameraMount.jpg fullView-5231.jpg

These are some major crops of animals walking by, to have motion in the images. 5231 on the left, 5442 on the right:

1xrabbit_5231.jpg 1xrabbit_5442.jpg
2xrabbit_5231.jpg2xrabbit_5442.jpg
cat-5231.jpg cat-5442.jpg
fox2-5231.jpg fox2-5442.jpg
fox3-5231.jpg fox3-5442.jpg

The final 2 crops were very dark and auto-enhanced with photo software:

fox1-5231.jpg fox1-5442.jpg

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree

gln2

n3wb
Reaction score
After a firmware upgrade I see that it's recommended to do a camera reset. Does a restore to factory default through the cam's webpage suffice, or would I have to get on a ladder, open up the camera and then hold the reset button (next to the SD card slot) down? After that I would have to re-aim the camera, of course.

Just want to avoid the extra work if the camera's webpage "Factory Default" button click is all that is needed.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I used the default button on the camera interface worked fine. I did reboot the camera 2-3 times after till it all took affect.