Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In my neck of the woods I was told I would need two clear pictures before the police would be able to do anything: one of the license plate and another one that shows the driver. This was in regards to people driving across a community greenway next to my house because it's a shorter route out of the neighborhood. If you're really serious about using a camera to catch the folks throwing trash, I'd def. try to understand if the police will assist (and if so, what they need) before investing much money in a camera for that.

IMO, the only thing special about most of the popular camera models used for LPR here is that they often have lenses with higher optical zoom. That makes them good for ID'ing anything that's further from the camera, not just license plates. For example, if you have a camera hanging under the soffit of your house and want to try to ID someone walking on the public sidewalk that's 50ft in front of your house, you're going to need a camera with a higher optical zoom.
I always wondered if the prosecutor agreed with the police stance on something such as this.

Slugger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm just now building my system, and I've read the Wiki, the Cliff Notes multiple times, and this whole thread at least twice. Based on that and the multiple camera review threads, I purchased four of the 5442 turrets as the best bang for the buck camera and will purchase more when the varifocal turrets are available.
Is there any indication the varifocal 5442s will come anytime soon? If so that may factor into what I buy now....

Reaction score
Is there any indication the varifocal 5442s will come anytime soon? If so that may factor into what I buy now....
I vaguely remember @EMPIRETECANDY giving an update a week or two ago, probably in a different thread. Said something along the lines of will get some in 2-3 weeks or so. At that time I was thinking that meant late June early July.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I also think he also said early indications were the varifocal 5442 turrets wouldn't be as good spec wise on paper as the non-varifocals are if I remember correctly.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
With the bullet form factor 5442 I tested and use, (which have had a Varifocal option for some time), the specs are true in that the fixed lens is a bit brighter than the VF, however the VF 5442 is still head and shoulders better than most any of the other series cameras IMHO (other than the 7442 series)

Same settings, 1/30 all other default

Varifocal
5442VF_IPC_main_20190907213645_@7.jpg

3.6 Fixed Lens
Fixed_CAM 17_main_20190907213643_@7.jpg

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Last I saw said that Andy should have them in mid June for testing.

Sorry, I thought you meant the turret version. The bullet version is in stock now.

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
He seems to have them in stock on his Amazon storefront. I'll PM Andy.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I vaguely remember @EMPIRETECANDY giving an update a week or two ago, probably in a different thread. Said something along the lines of will get some in 2-3 weeks or so. At that time I was thinking that meant late June early July.
Me too, I tried to search here and no go, now if I can only find which Thread. Oh, I think I remember, there is actually a Thread with the model # of the new 5442 Varifocal in the title. Now what was the model #? :)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey @David L you were the one who found it the other day when we were trying to remember it in another thread!
The model number is IPC-HDW5442T-ZE

Here's the original thread that @bickford started a few weeks ago (thanks to David for helping us remember):
Haha, wow I am losing it :) for some reason I was searching a T5442 model. Thank You...

Yeah it was last Wednesday that Andy gave us 2 to 2 1/2 weeks ETA

Thank you again...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So how does one get a list of the Threads we are watching?
Also how does Bookmarks work here? How do you add Bookmarks here?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The "Forums" tab at the top of the page has a pull-down with useful goodies in it:

View attachment 63506
"Threads with your posts" was how I found your link because I remembered that you responded to one of my posts. :cool:
There you go, wow I got stuck in trying to find it in my personal account settings, you saved the day twice today :) Thank you again...

1591755878542.png

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I hope you clicked fast shipping to get the review on here quicker :)

Look forward to some clips
I received the cam yesterday, it will be a Saturday install, I bought a pf130-a mounting box for it, the box for the 5442 turret is different, it is coming today, 1 day shipping from amazon.:)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I received the cam yesterday, it will be a Saturday install, I bought a pf130-a mounting box for it, the box for the 5442 turret is different, it is coming today, 1 day shipping from amazon.:)
I got mine yesterday evening too, THANK YOU (ANDY) @EMPIRETECANDY, bought the PFA130-E mount, may or may not use it, depending on placement. My small issue is the CAM did not come with a power supply, I planned to use a POE Injector at my switch which does not have POE ports. I got an Injector cable but need to order a Power Supply. Just don't know if I need a 1 amp or 2 (12 volt P/S). 1591878924090.png Looks like the Specs show 2 Amp but on Dahua's site they sell a 1 amp (DH-PFM321D-US) Found this 2 amp version. Oh I see they do have a 2 amp 320 model. I AM CONFUSED :)
1591877156727.png1591879440332.png

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
The camera will draw as many amps as it needs so getting a 2amp model won't hurt. You just have to make sure the voltage is correct.

Would be better to swap out the switch for a PoE model and call it day.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The camera will draw as many amps as it needs so getting a 2amp model won't hurt. You just have to make sure the voltage is correct.

Would be better to swap out the switch for a PoE model and call it day.
Thank you, I was thinking the same, if I get a 2 amp, the CAM will pull what it needs, better to have enough available. But wondering why the older model is 2 and newer model is 1 amp.

So when I bought my Managed Switches, I first looked at the POE+ switches but being a $100 price difference I went with a Non-POE switch, figuring I will just do Injectors, also thinking the CAMs would come with the P/S. Only was planning on a few CAMs too. Anyway, in order for me to use VLAN I cannot just go buy a cheap switch now. Maybe I should of shelled out $100 more bucks, too late now. Now I have to shell out $20 per Power Supplies :) Oh BTW these Switches Rock!!!

1591881362206.png1591881406484.png