Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I understand what you mean, but between the base plate and cam cover, both don't perfectly align and snap into place. It partially sticks out; both parts are not machined to the point where they can mate perfectly. I never had this problem prior, but I have come across several of these units with other users, and they all exhibit the same thing.

@Arjun when the grub screw is closed is there much of a gap between the base plate and cam cover? From your pictures it looks like the grub screw is biting into the wrong place and I’d expect it to make a mark on the flat surface rather that the sloping edge - if you know what I mean

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
When placing the cam cover over the plate, you should be able to orientate the cam cover from an angle, and twist into place. But once that happens, one of the tabs dislocates (like a train derailment) and the cam cover just pops back out.

DavidR1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I will bring some cheap 4mp cams with audio from dahua,a special model for us, so can get good price, i think will kick all IPC-HDW4433C-A out easily. Fixed lens and motorized lens.
Hey @EMPIRETECANDY any word when you'll be getting these special models? Will they have 1/1.8" sensors?
Yes, will get the fixed lens and make it testing out next week, will sell a little higher/less than the HDW4433C-A, help guys here use some cheap and reliable cams for limited budget.
@EMPIRETECANDY: Any new information available regarding these budget models for IPCT? I'm ready to place another order with you for more mainstream cameras but was waiting to see how your testing turned out on these. If testing has gone well and you feel they're worth trying, I'd add one of those to my order as well.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY: Any new information available regarding these budget models for IPCT? I'm ready to place another order with you for more mainstream cameras but was waiting to see how your testing turned out on these. If testing has gone well and you feel they're worth trying, I'd add one of those to my order as well.
Will have a review on 8th.Nov. I have to say, will destroy most cheap CAMS on the market. :headbang:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Best budget camera thus far is the 2231, if that falls under the budget category; its not even an entry level camera. Looking forward to see what gets revealed in the next couple of days, keep us posted Andy :D Thanks

Will have a review on 8th.Nov. I have to say, will destroy most cheap CAMS on the market. :headbang:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
When placing the cam cover over the plate, you should be able to orientate the cam cover from an angle, and twist into place. But once that happens, one of the tabs dislocates (like a train derailment) and the cam cover just pops back out.
Can you you post a pic?

8urt0

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well after reading through all of this I think i will pick up one of these to use on my driveway. (And now I am following this thread) But also curious about these budget cams @EMPIRETECANDY has mentioned can not wait to see a review on these.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
This is by no means military-grade metal. See how easy it is to deform the metal by just the set screw itself; its cheap metal but gets the job done ;) This is what keeps the prices "affordable" :lol: :p pun intended View attachment 50008
TBH I hope that's something Dahua should look at. I'm not sure the cheap price tag is an excuse. The saving between casting this and a better metal is probably a few tens of pennies. If the camera cost $2 or $3 more, I'm sure people would buy it.

Juts out of interest, do other models use set screws as retainers? I can see the utility in the set screw being able to burrow into the surface a little as it helps retain it. The issue I see is where the iron filings go afterwards. Get them in the electronics and there's the potential to short the camera's circuit board or components. If the camera base can always go back in the same place, it would pay Dahua to use better quality metal, pre-drill a hole in the base to accept the set screw, then put an alignment mark on both parts to make aligning the screw with the pre-drilled hole easy when assembling.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
This is really good feedback, and I really hope can be acknowledged by Dahua. Alignment mark is important as well as better quality metal and set screw. I think the reason is that these cameras are still mostly intended to consumers (commercial and residential consumers) after-all. Overall, it boils down to performance. I think day and nighttime performance is a priority to Dahua (and the like) over quality of materials.

TBH I hope that's something Dahua should look at. I'm not sure the cheap price tag is an excuse. The saving between casting this and a better metal is probably a few tens of pennies. If the camera cost $2 or $3 more, I'm sure people would buy it.

Juts out of interest, do other models use set screws as retainers? I can see the utility in the set screw being able to burrow into the surface a little as it helps retain it. The issue I see is where the iron filings go afterwards. Get them in the electronics and there's the potential to short the camera's circuit board or components. If the camera base can always go back in the same place, it would pay Dahua to use better quality metal, pre-drill a hole in the base to accept the set screw, then put an alignment mark on both parts to make aligning the screw with the pre-drilled hole easy when assembling.

hebronep

n3wb
Reaction score
This is really good feedback, and I really hope can be acknowledged by Dahua. Alignment mark is important as well as better quality metal and set screw. I think the reason is that these cameras are still mostly intended to consumers (commercial and residential consumers) after-all. Overall, it boils down to performance. I think day and nighttime performance is a priority to Dahua (and the like) over quality of materials.
I am planning to buy at least 13 IPC-T5442TM-AS for my home video surveillance but waiting for the so-called loose eyeball to be sorted out first. In the meantime, I have bought the PFA130-E and PFB204W .... Hope Andy can get Dahua to resolve the loose eyeball issue and maybe better quality metal and set screw.

Thanks for highlighting these issues.

DiegoWEB

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Andy.
Will this review be release before 11.11?
My IPC-HFW1831E that I bought with you will probably be delivered tomorrow. As soon as it arrives I will buy the next one.
I wanna see if this new budget camera will be better than T5442TM-AS and IPC-HFW2831T-ZS.

Oh, and by the way, I couldn't find T5442TM-AS in Dahua Website. Does anyone here has its proper name or perhaps the correct dahua link?

hebronep

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Andy.
My IPC-HFW1831E that I bought with you will probably be delivered tomorrow. As soon as it arrives I will buy the next one.
I wanna see if this new budget camera will be better than T5442TM-AS and IPC-HFW2831T-ZS.

Oh, and by the way, I couldn't find T5442TM-AS in Dahua Website. Does anyone here has its proper name or perhaps the correct dahua link?
Dahua International equivalent is IPC-HDW5442TM-AS (T5442TM-AS is OEM from Andy)

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Andy.

You can check this one, it's a lite model, can instal at some place not very important, working great.

copland

n3wb
Reaction score
Well I can confirm the quality control issues others are speaking about. I just received my order from Andy and the 5442 can easily be manipulated and moved while the set screw is in place and tightened down. I ordered the 5231 as well, and it wouldn't move if I took a hammer to it.

On a different note, the set screw torx wrench provided in the packaging snapped off while tightening down the set screw. And no I wasn't over torquing it...just poor craftsmanship.

Has anyone come up with a solution to stabilize the camera?15735868085658089370719470067846.jpg15735868576266034814887293119401.jpg

mmmburritos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's a bummer, I've got one coming from Andy this Thursday. I was taking his word that it wasn't a problem, I guess I will see how bad it is when mine arrives.

DiegoWEB

n3wb
Reaction score
Gosh, and I have just bought one.
I mean, I knew about this quality issues in the past posts here, but I thought it was only in some lot.

@copland have you tried the solution from @Arjun posted here?
I hope mine have this issue addressed and fixed.
Do you have any feedback from Dahua, @EMPIRETECANDY?
I'm the guy from Brazil who ordered the second cam with you in AliExpress, via ePacket.

copland

n3wb
Reaction score
@mmmburritos I was told the same thing from Andy. Said it was only an issue because of a couple complaints. I was hoping that was the case, but no joy. It doesn't appear to be the set screw that's the problem, it's the rubber bumpers. They don't seem to be tall enough to really latch onto the ball.