Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Guys, like @looney2ns has already stated, put a piece of this (see picture) between the camera ball and the shell, that should lock everything in place ;) Cheers
I'll make a video if need be :)
Thanks to Arjun's solution, if any guys want to lock it dead, can try to do this. The ball part never down , so Normally no need to do anything after you pick camera out off box.
I will tell dahua for this, to check if they can do some improvement t in the later production.
Thanks to @mech , **Bonus, it's great for an additional waterproofing measure on your network connectors. **, this is a very good stuff for protecting the RJ45 port. Most outdoor cams burned because of the leakage at the port.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
So far, the best solution in my experience is using the soft side of Velcro. The ball doesn't move even one bit. Its very tight, but it works darn well :lol: You don't have to place velco on all four sides; only the sides where the ball is making contact with. This solution instills confidence and you don't have to mess with it much. Also, my recommendation is to change the set screw while you're at it; the ones from hardware shop has more surface area where it makes contact with the metal base, thus offering more grip. @EMPIRETECANDY
IMG-0355 (1).JPG

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm so happy because my balls are no longer moving. All it needed was very Soft and fine Velcro, Friction Tape (no lube required, a tad tacky but that's fine), and fresh set screws just a tad bit longer for better grip and wider surface area. Now the turret is strong and very satisfied. Good feedback equates into great results ;)

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep, and that picture will scream a thousand words :winktongue:

Just remember as well it's better to mount it low and point it up than have it sagging down. You get the facial shot that way.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Got hold of one of these cams today and no issues seen straight out of the box. Put on a test rig to test movement and didn’t budge. Going to grab some video tomorrow comparing a 5231 to this 5442 when mounted at install location and will link findings here as well.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm suppose to pick up a 6mm 5442 later today and will report my findings here as well. Andy says that it will likely budge as well as per his recent chat with me. Would be great if you can post a video of attempting to move the ball within the socket (similar to what I posted several posts above) ;)
Other than that, the balls need all the tender loving care it deserves.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't know people pay good money and expect their balls to be clamped tight, the thought makes me go weak at the knee's. I personally don't see a problem if it won't move in windy environments and if someone can move it manually then it's too low anyway.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The problem folks are discussing here is not to do with windy environments; its to do in a situation where it can still be manually adjusted by hand or balls (in this case kids and soccer balls, etc as per other comments) even when tightened. Installers may have a little hesitation installing these cameras if the problem persists in other lots. However, seeing that @Wildcat_1 claims no budge, its hopefully a good sign that Dahua is getting their act together. In the meantime, those that have purchased earlier batches will have to do some modifications to secure the balls from moving

funny-faces-on-camera-square.jpg

I don't know people pay good money and expect their balls to be clamped tight, the thought makes me go weak at the knee's. I personally don't see a problem if it won't move in windy environments and if someone can move it manually then it's too low anyway.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
The chances are if it's out of reach it's too high for a good facial shot. I don't see an issue in 1 sense in that if someone tries to reach they should be captured. On the other hand, it would be better to have the confidence in knowing it can't move either by hand or by nature unless a fastening is loosened first.

immageek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
. On the other hand, it would be better to have the confidence in knowing it can't move either by hand or by nature unless a fastening is loosened first.
This was my whole point and the issue I had with it. I get it that there's plenty of ways to disable a camera besides moving it, but why does this get a pass when it's preventable? It's a shame that the issue was pretty much blown off, but oh well, I just replaced it with one that did what I felt is right.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I received the 6mm 4mp Turret today, the good news is that its much better, to be specific, it doesn't budge by simply touching it. ;) The previous lots were a lot more loose and we're talking micrometers here, :lol:

You can move any camera with sufficient force. Its physics :p

No, I didn’t get paid to write this comment :lol: This comment doesn’t endorse anything/anyone in any form and way

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Got hold of one of these cams today and no issues seen straight out of the box. Put on a test rig to test movement and didn’t budge. Going to grab some video tomorrow comparing a 5231 to this 5442 when mounted at install location and will link findings here as well.
What firmware did it come with?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
All

As promised, I did test the mounting of both the 5231 & 5442 today (in the same location for consistency & with the same junction box, PFA130E) for ease of movement / ability to adjust when clamped. I’m pleased to say that I didn’t see any issues. This is certainly not a scientific test but I filmed my attempts to move face on with an iPhone and then also recorded the footage captured by the 5231 / 5442 so you could see what it was seeing at that time.

Video link below. HTH and let me know with any questions

hebronep

n3wb
Reaction score
All

As promised, I did test the mounting of both the 5231 & 5442 today (in the same location for consistency & with the same junction box, PFA130E) for ease of movement / ability to adjust when clamped. I’m pleased to say that I didn’t see any issues. This is certainly not a scientific test but I filmed my attempts to move face on with an iPhone and then also recorded the footage captured by the 5231 / 5442 so you could see what it was seeing at that time.
Many Thanks for Testing. Much appreciated.