Review-SD4A425DB-HNY 1/2.8" CMOS 4MP 25x Starlight Auto-tracking MiniPTZ

Lucian

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You two using BI?
What firmware are you on?

I haven't had any problems with this at all. Perhaps a setting.
I purchased 2 from Andy. Both working well so far

Reaction score
I am giving serious consideration to using this cam to replace three overview cams mounted in the second story windows. Two are SD12203T-GN cams and the third is a fixed lens dome that is five years old.

The 12203 do quite well being 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensors, so I am a little hesitant on this miniptz being 4MP on a 1/2.8" sensor. But I am intrigued with the auto tracking and the longer optical zoom. Since they are in windows they cannot use cam IR and I really want them in color anyway.

Depending on your views and if @EMPIRETECANDY has a good price on the Memorial Day sale, I might just pick one up to try out in those positions and see how it performs for my use cases.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@samplenhold Agree x25 and auto-tracking are very appealing. You will probably need more light at night as you have suspected (when compared to your current 3x PTZ)

Last edited:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I am finding that my current location may not be good for the long term. With the trees having leaves now, and expecting them to grow, I don't know how much longer I will be able to see anything on the sidewalks in front of my house. I've considered talking to the neighbor across the street to see if I can put in a wireless bridge and mount it on their front soffit...

How low is too low for a PTZ?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am giving serious consideration to using this cam to replace three overview cams mounted in the second story windows. Two are SD12203T-GN cams and the third is a fixed lens dome that is five years old.

The 12203 do quite well being 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensors, so I am a little hesitant on this miniptz being 4MP on a 1/2.8" sensor. But I am intrigued with the auto tracking and the longer optical zoom. Since they are in windows they cannot use cam IR and I really want them in color anyway.

Depending on your views and if @EMPIRETECANDY has a good price on the Memorial Day sale, I might just pick one up to try out in those positions and see how it performs for my use cases.
Given the light you have, I think it would be fine.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I ordered this camera and just got it set up to test it out. The web interface seems to be the one about which people don't have much good to say. It wants me to download and install a plugin. If I click the link, it tries to find webplugin.pkg but returns a 404 not found error. I'm using chrome on a mac. I don't get the same notice on safari. I also don't see what's missing in chrome that's present in safari. Is there missing functionality in chrome that I just haven't run across yet?

Screenshot 2023-05-09 at 7.27.49 PM.png

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Actually as close to the street as it is and with most everyone here older and retired, I expect a lot of "WTF are you taking my picture for?" comments :rolleyes:
One of the main reason I'm considering buying this SD4A425DB-HNY mini ptz is because of the dome design make it difficult to see where the ptz is pointing at unless people get really close to it. I bought the Hikvision mini ptz a few years back for the same reason even though I'm aware of the dome camera shortcomings.:)

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
One of the main reason I'm considering buying this SD4A425DB-HNY mini ptz is because of the dome design make it difficult to see where the ptz is pointing at unless people get really close to it. I bought the Hikvision mini ptz a few years back for the same reason even though I'm aware of the dome camera shortcomings.:)
That's the same reason I ordered this one.

dubber

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I wish there was a way to adjust the sensitivity or movement of the camera once it detects/get triggered.

Please see attached video.

That moment when the camera detected an object/target and start the tracking process, that same moment was when I believe (In my opinion) the right frame to see the face.

Unfortunately because of the sudden movement, it got blurry. lol (Around 4 second mark in the video)

Maybe a firmware update to fix this or a feature request? @EMPIRETECANDY

Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wish there was a way to adjust the sensitivity or movement of the camera once it detects/get triggered.

Please see attached video.

That moment when the camera detected an object/target and start the tracking process, that same moment was when I believe (In my opinion) the right frame to see the face.

Unfortunately because of the sudden movement, it got blurry. lol (Around 4 second mark in the video)

Maybe a firmware update to fix this or a feature request? @EMPIRETECANDY

Thanks
Try a tighter initial zoom and increase the track size target.

This is also where spotter cams can help as it could turn the PTZ to the right and start tracking them before they are on your property so that it is the optimal zoom and focus by the time they are the closest to the camera.

dubber

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Try a tighter initial zoom and increase the track size target.

This is also where spotter cams can help as it could turn the PTZ to the right and start tracking them before they are on your property so that it is the optimal zoom and focus by the time they are the closest to the camera.
When I increase the track size target, it tracks the wrong person/area lol

Example: infant and parent/ dog walker and dog/ stroller and parent, the camera would start zooming into dogs, infant, stroller etc and not zoom in "enough" to see both objects.