Review - TOP-201 Super Mini 720P HD IP-Cam (The Cheapest IP Cam So Far !!)

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. Tried - did not work either - I say this camera stinks due to the software not the hardware...the company is lazy in not updating - better just to spend more money to get software that is not infested with bugs!

d00k

n3wb
Reaction score
@badmop

Do you care to share your yahoo mail setup? - As of now I can get nothing to work, gmail stopped working last week. The debug messages indicate there is an SSL issue:
"SSL: Closing on protocol error 42
sslRead error in sslDoHandhake"

"SMTPD: Mail Connect...
Error 2 connecting to server...
SMTPD: connect mail server failed
SMTPD: connect mail server failed!
ProcessMsg opResult = 0"

Setting StartTLS also seems impossible, so one could use port 587 instead without SSL. Anyone know where the SSMTP /smtp daemon config files are located?

Last edited by a moderator:

avgjoeuser

n3wb
Reaction score
I attempted to download the latest firmware to my 6510 based cam and appear to have bricked it. The firmware WAS V4.02R12.00006510.10012.1307 with a Build Date 7/3/2014. Following the instructions early in this very long thread, I attempted to upgrade to "General_HZXM_IPC_HI3518E_50H10L_S38_V4.02.R12.20150910_ALL.bin" and the progress bar froze halfway through. Bummer. I waited for an hour but no progress. After a refresh the camera is unavailable. I can see the link light for the port it is plugged into on the switch and it is slowly flashing on and off as if it cannot establish ethernet link. The camera was working fine up until the attempted upgrade. I knew this was a risk but am hoping someone has a recovery procedure. Any ideas?

avgjoeuser

n3wb
Reaction score
I had this same problem. It actually worked for a while then stopped. Changing to a non-gmail smtp server fixed it. Based on what I read Google will block this kind of use of their smtp servers. Dont blame the software, blame Google.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey, sorry I didn't get to your message sooner.. Here are the settings I use to SEND mail by Yahoo, to my Gmail receiving address. (which you could do yahoo to yahoo, or any other email)

SMTP Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Port: 465
Username: xxxxx@yahoo.com or xxxxx@ymail.com
Password: mypassword
Sender: xxxxx@yahoo.com (my yahoo email)
Authentication: SSL
Title: HD DVR (subject for your outgoing email)
ATTACHMENT BOX is checked

Mail Receiver: xxxxx@gmail.com (my gmail email)

That covers it, let me know if you have any issues! :)

@badmop

Do you care to share your yahoo mail setup? - As of now I can get nothing to work, gmail stopped working last week. The debug messages indicate there is an SSL issue:
"SSL: Closing on protocol error 42
sslRead error in sslDoHandhake"

"SMTPD: Mail Connect...
ProcessMsg opResult = 0"

Setting StartTLS also seems impossible, so one could use port 587 instead without SSL. Anyone know where the SSMTP /smtp daemon config files are located?

d00k

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, straight forward setup. Oddly using exact same yahoo smtp setup here, does not work, get similar results as with gmail.
Tried a couple of cameras and different firmwares.

Using SSL on port 465:
SMTPD: Mail Connect...
SSL: Closing on protocol error sslRead error in sslDoHandhake

Using port 587, no SSL:
SMTPD: connect mail ip: 188.125.69.59
SMTPD: Recv Fail: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first, Need: 334

avgjoeuser

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, straight forward setup. Oddly using exact same yahoo smtp setup here, does not work, get similar results as with gmail.
Tried a couple of cameras and different firmwares.

Using SSL on port 465:
SSL: Closing on protocol error sslRead error in sslDoHandhake

Using port 587, no SSL:
SMTPD: connect mail ip: 188.125.69.59
Google and Yahoo both monitor and then block this kind of use of their smtp servers. Do some research. I know because they both worked for me for a while and then stopped after a hundred emails or so. So the settings are NOT the problem or they would have never worked in the first place. My personal SMTP server never fails to work.

d00k

n3wb
Reaction score
You may be right, but I've tried a couple of others aswell from my own webhosts that fail too. I got one that works, however not knowing too much about the SSL protocol, it seems error code 42 means bad ssl certificate, which is the error I get.
And without SSL everything seems to need starttls, which appearently cannot be enabled, unless its hacked into sophia or perhaps the settings flash part, not found any config files for the sstmp after extracting every file from the firmware.
Anyway I agree it's not the settings, and the gmail smtp definately was a change on google's side committed last week as I have spoken with several people having it stop working last week.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've had 500 some emails sent in just a matter of days before and no issues, but it may happen sometime.

Reaction score
Hello An Greetings from Germany,

sorry first for my bad english, i hope you understand!

Can anybody German ? or a good understand english for me ;-)

Ipcamtalk is the only site where i can find help for my TOP-201 Camera

An my english is not the best ,but its hard all to understand was written here....

I have some questions an hope you can help me,

1)

my System OSX el capitan and windows 10

the ipcam adress 192.168.0.20
user:admin
port 34567 (I have see it in the CMS Software)

rstp port 554 (I have see it in the CMS Software)

also:
1) i wanna see the picture of the IpCam with my Iphone is the a app for ?

2) Has anybody use this on a synology NAS ?

3) If i use the CMS Programm i have a NICE sharp picture

4) if i go to 192.168.0.20 in osx safari it will open the webinterface and if i make play theres a message "missing plugin" no picture at windows only with firefox an quicktime plugin How can i see a Video on my MacBook ?

5)I want that my camera working with a enigma2 linux Satelite Receiver Called VU+ an a plugin called CamoFS that shows me a picture or a video from the Camera ,i need a Jpeg and video url (rtsp?) mpeg or h.264 Stream

if i
rtsp://192.168.0.20:554/user=admin_password=_channel=1_stream=0.sdp?real_stream
i see a godd video but not in best quality , how can i change this ?

link:http://www.vuplus-support.org/wbb3/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=21302

I hope you can help me,

Thank you so much!

d00k

n3wb
Reaction score
1) You can use XMEye along with the serial ID you find under Version information via their p2p cloud service.
2) It works with surviellence station software as Onvif Camera

Reaction score
Thank you so much!

is the top-201 identical to another cam ?

Like Foscam or another Big Manufacturer ? Because some Tools ask for it

and rstp stream works perfekt

which output options are there?

What is the address for the live image with jpg?

greeting Hans

Greetings Hans

themow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Im getting "failed to connect to server" when trying to send snapshots to gmail. I followed the directions on this thread to a T. Camera is on 6510 1407.

themow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to get this camera to record to NAS? I have seen references in this thread but cant find any solid info and cannot get anything to record to my NAS

Stef

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to say that I have a couple of HI3518E+OV9712 outdoor "bullet" IP cameras and that a couple of weeks ago the SMTP feature stopped working (I get "failed to connect to server" when I press "mail testing"). I tried both google and yahoo. Has anyone tried another mail server with success after being blocked by google/yahoo?

d00k

n3wb
Reaction score
I set up my own smtp server and disabled SSL to get it to work. If I enable SSL on my smtp server, the camera rejects it with bad SSL certificate, same error as with gmail/yahoo/hotmail.

d00k

n3wb
Reaction score
I just noticed that the gmail smtp SSL certificate was renewed on Oct. 28, which fits when gmail stopped working.
Common name: smtp.gmail.com
SANs: smtp.gmail.com
Organization: Google Inc
Valid from October 28, 2015 to January 25, 2016
Serial Number: 7676810273737534362 (0x6a8982453e31eb9a)
Signature Algorithm: sha256WithRSAEncryption
Issuer: Google Internet Authority G2

Wonder if they changed from SHA-1 to SHA-2 (didn't check what they were using before). Because the only SSL smtp server I can get to work is using SHA-1. So maybe the camera software doesn't support SHA-2 certs.

Stef

n3wb
Reaction score
I just noticed that the gmail smtp SSL certificate was renewed on Oct. 28, which fits when gmail stopped working.
Common name: smtp.gmail.com
SANs: smtp.gmail.com
Organization: Google Inc
Valid from October 28, 2015 to January 25, 2016
Serial Number: 7676810273737534362 (0x6a8982453e31eb9a)
Signature Algorithm: sha256WithRSAEncryption
Issuer: Google Internet Authority G2

Wonder if they changed from SHA-1 to SHA-2 (didn't check what they were using before). Because the only SSL smtp server I can get to work is using SHA-1. So maybe the camera software doesn't support SHA-2 certs.
It seems to me that you have figured out what is wrong.
So what is required is a firmware update or we are stuck with SMTP servers which use SSL SHA-1 or no encryption.

Stef

n3wb
Reaction score
I found a mail server with SMTP without encryption on port 587. The mail testing works ("test message sent success") but the actual email notification on motion detection does not, with or without the snapshot attachment. I don't think the mail server is at fault because both IMAP and SMTP work fine with the Windows10 mail app.

d00k

n3wb
Reaction score
Make sure you get a motion detection event, ie. enable Write log under Setting -> Alarm -> Video Motion and check the log after triggering. Also it can be quite useful to login to the camera om Port 9527 and check any debug messages when triggering motion detection (use netm -p). If you haven't rebooted the camera after enabling motion detection and send email, that's probably it.