Review - TOP-201 Super Mini 720P HD IP-Cam (The Cheapest IP Cam So Far !!)

Sparkey

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Absolutely amazing that this little camera has generated so much interest. I'm running 6 of them via BI and can attest to the fact that they are reliable. I'm nowhere near as tech savoy as some of you here but I do enjoy following this saga. Keep it going.

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Absolutely amazing that this little camera has generated so much interest. I'm running 6 of them via BI and can attest to the fact that they are reliable. I'm nowhere near as tech savoy as some of you here but I do enjoy following this saga. Keep it going.
Indeed. I have 7 Hik 2032s, 2 cheap trendnets, a crappy dlink and a really old 4xem. I don't need any more cameras.
So of course I have 3 201s arriving next Wednesday. :)

bls

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I agree. I have 4 boards, several more boards in cameras from several different manufactures and 3 more boards on the way. It's hard to beat $17.50 for a board with a cable, lens & IRC that's 1280x960 or 1280x720 with 2-way audio and an Alarm I/O input and only $4 more if one decides to add POE. See my web page at http://ve6sbs.sbszoo.com/projects/ipcam_ipc/53H13PE-S/53H13PE_mods.htm for where I have been buying mine and http://ve6sbs.sbszoo.com/ for links to several IPC camera pages with how I've added POE, audio and alarm inputs.

jds580s

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea of the horizontal field of view in degrees of one of these board cameras with the 3.6mm, 2.8mm, and 2.1mm lens? The sensors are 1/4" correct?

Thanks!

Reaction score
or to any other RJ-45 hard-wired Ethernet jack in your home. It doesn't have to be connected directly to the router, as long as there's a physical network path to the router.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
or to any other RJ-45 hard-wired Ethernet jack in your home. It doesn't have to be connected directly to the router, as long as there's a physical network path to the router.
Hmm, i see...
So to see this camera on my phone do i need a poe device to be connected too?

Here is my specs of my system:
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/5083-Laptop-or-Desktop-Pc-to-run-Blue-Iris?p=43922#post43922
See post 3.

I am planing to use the Blue Iris software for my pc and android app on my phone when i am away.

Thanks.

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well I installed my first TOP-201 yesterday. "Installed" may be a stretch, I double-sided taped it to a wooden railing in the garage, beside my really old 4Xem cam.
Can't do any of the cam changes I want to do until I'm off crutches. Even then, a ladder may be somewhat painful after that....

I have to say, even having read the reviews, and watching sample videos, I'm amazed at the quality of this cheap ip cam. It's also much smaller than I thought.
Will be using one in the garage for sure, and probably replacing the USB Lifecam I use for spying on the dogs remotely.

Sabot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have one as well for watching my newly rescued dogs. Never thought I would care but it's a nice way to watch how they interact without me present. I was hoping the TOP-201 would work with my IR illuminator but no luck. It's great when their is light tho. I was thinking of trying one of the IR versions on Ebay. Any feedback on them? I am also trying to find out if there are any wireless. Would be nice to put in various spots to keep an eye on the pups!

sephiro499

n3wb
Reaction score
I have one as well for watching my newly rescued dogs. Never thought I would care but it's a nice way to watch how they interact without me present. I was hoping the TOP-201 would work with my IR illuminator but no luck. It's great when their is light tho. I was thinking of trying one of the IR versions on Ebay. Any feedback on them? I am also trying to find out if there are any wireless. Would be nice to put in various spots to keep an eye on the pups!
How do they perform in low light? I was thinking instead of using night vision just use motion flood lights and that would provide enough light for the camera to see.

Sabot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The TOP-201 didn't see the IR light. They work marginal at best in low light. Very little detail. I'm still very impressed by the little camera!

Sparkey

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hmmm, I have 2 in the den and I'm using a cheap IR light from Amazon and both cameras see just fine in the dark. In fact, they see better than the 2 Foscams I had previously that had ir emitters built in.

skywise

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm running a couple of the cameras and they do pretty good in low light, can still see clearly until almost full dark.
But when it does get full dark, they get pretty pixely.

sephiro499

n3wb
Reaction score
You can't use these pointed towards a glass window. :(
Yes I have read that before that the glass window will reflect the IR light. Do the manufacturers of IR cameras NOT use glass? Are there special techniques or glass coatings that they use to eliminate this phenomenon?

Edit, so why not buy the IR version, cover the IR LEDS (leave the light sensor uncovered) and use and outdoor IR illuminator? Would that eliminate the reflection problem.

Last edited by a moderator: