[Review] VTO2000A & VTH1550CH & VTNS1060A Intercom Kit

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm looking at the VTO2000A-C with 3 button module VTO2000A-B to be connected to 6 VTH1550CH monitors
It's a 3 house community with a single entrance, so the idea is each house has 2 monitors and each of the 3 entrance buttons will call one pair of monitors and a individual householders smartphone app..
All pretty straight forward so far, I hope.
The issue is the distances involved - from the gate to the third house is 100m.
The VTNS1060A switch has a maximum distance between points of 50m - and the cabling is underground so difficult to put a switch in the middle of the long runs (without installing an inspection hatch and running power to it).
So my thought is...do we have to cascade the switches over the POE ports of the previous switch?
There is an existing network connection between the 3 houses by cat5 - they have a shared CCTV system.
Could I use the existing network infrastructure and just put a VTNS1060A switch in each house to power and connect the VTHs (monitors)? The 3 switches would be linked by the existing network infrastructure and switch 1 would also connect to the VTO (entry panel).
My concern is that I keep seeing 'Dahua Protocol Network' with relation to these products which gives me concern that they wont communicate correctly over a standard network, but that could just be their way of saying it's a 'non-standard' 24v POE switch and ensuring we buy their particular switch.
I hope I've made my case clear but to summarise:-
VTO >> VTNS1060A >> standard switch >> VTNS1060A >> VTH

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can give.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi @MallorcaCCTV,
good question!
I knew I had Dahua presentation somewhere, here's a screenshot from it:

They draw at the left hand side a "generic" Network switch, at the right hand side the VTNS specific devices. The only thing is that here, they power the VTO with 12VDC directly (and not powered from a VTNS switch). I understood that the VTNS is only "special" in the way it uses non-standard POE, for communication between VTO & VTH, that is and remains TCPIP.

Hope this helps,
CC

Reaction score
CC, you may be my new best friend.
That diagram mimics the install I'm looking for.
It saves me time and money as I'll need fewer VTNS, they don't need to be cascaded so no 50m limit with associated install costs (getting power to switches etc) and, bonus bingo, I can use the existing network we installed a few weeks back for the CCTV.

Because I'm a curious guy, not that it has too many practical uses, but do you think this idea could be extended to allow a remote VTO-VTH setup?
If it's all IP protocol then I see no technical reason this couldn't work, it works for IPCam/NVR configs e.g. an NVR can be configured to access an IPC over the internet, so in theory a VTH should be able to remotely access a VTO, with the correct port forwarding etc.
As I say, not much practical use as if you wanted to view the VTO remotely you'd just pull up the app on your smart device, but, as I said, I'm a curious guy.

Thank you again, I can now order the kit I need in confidence.

Last edited:

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
CC, you may be my new best friend.
That diagram mimics the install I'm looking for.
It saves me time and money as I'll need fewer VTNS, they don't need to be cascaded so no 50m limit with associated install costs (getting power to switches etc) and, bonus bingo, I can use the existing network we installed a few weeks back for the CCTV.

Because I'm a curious guy, not that it has too many practical uses, but do you think this idea could be extended to allow a remote VTO-VTH setup?
If it's all IP protocol then I see no technical reason this couldn't work, it works for IPCam/NVR configs e.g. an NVR can be configured to access an IPC over the internet, so in theory a VTH should be able to remotely access a VTO, with the correct port forwarding etc.
As I say, not much practical use as if you wanted to view the VTO remotely you'd just pull up the app on your smart device, but, as I said, I'm a curious guy.

Thank you again, I can now order the kit I need in confidence.
Hi my new-best-friend :)

To start, if you have implemented these port forwardings for IPC/NVR, may I kindly ask you to close these (insecure) gaps: there are thousands of IPC and alikes being scanned, you can read the success stories within the Cliff Notes. Am I saying that I won't be your friend anymore? Not at all: there are, even for DIY guys, easy solutions for it! For an end-user point of perspective, nothing blocks you to install a VPN client on your phone (iOS/Android) and connect to your LAN and simulate to your phone as being on your home LAN (eg your home wifi). If you're talking about 2 building blocks, each with their own LAN (eg subnet), there are even semi-professional constructions possible (eg site2site VPN) which are transparant for the endusers (eg you don't need to install a VPN client to look at the VTO in the other building). Is this hyper complex? No. Does that cost a lot of money? No, the software is free (google OpenVPN server/client), but you need to run it on some hardware. ASUS routers do have a built-in OpenVPN (both server & client) instance onboard, but other network gear (eg EdgeRouter from Ubiquity) do have them to. The first is in the 100-150€ range, the latter I bought for less than 50€. And off you go, with a much better protected network, and a vast amount of firewall possibilities and capabilities.

Hope this helps!
CC

AlbertoIt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @catcamstar i have a couple of questions about intercom system.
1-when i started i set it to take snapshot when someone ring at the door and it was ok, now i have just noticed that it isn't working (it takes pictures only manually).
I have set "auto capture" ON in the main vth (the one with sd card) and enabled "auto snapshot" in the vth. Did i forget something else? do i have to set auto-capture ON even in the slaves vth?
2- Since i have 2 free ports in the vtns do you know if it's possible to connect another ip camera and make it works with the others that i have connected to a nvr (which is in the same net of the intercom)?
Thanks

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 3 utilizzando Tapatalk

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi @catcamstar i have a couple of questions about intercom system.
1-when i started i set it to take snapshot when someone ring at the door and it was ok, now i have just noticed that it isn't working (it takes pictures only manually).
I have set "auto capture" ON in the main vth (the one with sd card) and enabled "auto snapshot" in the vth. Did i forget something else? do i have to set auto-capture ON even in the slaves vth?
2- Since i have 2 free ports in the vtns do you know if it's possible to connect another ip camera and make it works with the others that i have connected to a nvr (which is in the same net of the intercom)?
1) as I only have 1 VTH connected, I cannot comment. What I would suggest is to configure the VTO on your NVR, and let him take "snapshots", then you'll grab faces even before (or without) having to press the buttons.
2) if I read the specs right, the VTNS provides 24v Passive PoE outputs, which is double of the normal PoE (like my HFW, it needs DC12V, PoE (802.3af)(Class 0)). My electrical engineering classes are from looooong time ago, you could try to "downscale" to the POE-standard (af) by cutting the 24V into 12V, but I wouldn't risk burning the cam.

Hope this helps!
CC

AlbertoIt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1) as I only have 1 VTH connected, I cannot comment. What I would suggest is to configure the VTO on your NVR, and let him take "snapshots", then you'll grab faces even before (or without) having to press the buttons.
2) if I read the specs right, the VTNS provides 24v Passive PoE outputs, which is double of the normal PoE (like my HFW, it needs DC12V, PoE (802.3af)(Class 0)). My electrical engineering classes are from looooong time ago, you could try to "downscale" to the POE-standard (af) by cutting the 24V into 12V, but I wouldn't risk burning the cam.

Hope this helps!
CC
I'm not sure the vtns provides 24v. Maybe you got confused with the input voltage. Since the vth and vto input is 12V the vtns output must be 12v as well.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score

AlbertoIt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes you are totally right. Mine was just an assumption based on the fact that VTH and VTO input is 12volt so the VTNS poe output should be the same...but i learnt that with dahua nothing must be took for granted :))

0blar

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi
Any reseller contact to get the intercom ?
I already contact Andy, but he doesn't sell it anymore

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi
Any reseller contact to get the intercom ?
I already contact Andy, but he doesn't sell it anymore
That's unfortunate that @EMPIRETECANDY does not sell it anymore. If you're from Europe mainland, there are still plenty of shops selling it (however at massive uplifts).

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY can you please confirm if you can get this as i am after the same setup.

Can i use this without the POE switch, just wondering whether the NVR POE can power this?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY can you please confirm if you can get this as i am after the same setup.

Can i use this without the POE switch, just wondering whether the NVR POE can power this?
I can confirm that the VTO/VTH will not work without the VTNS switch. There are other doorbells which do work on "standard" POE ports.

riogrande75

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Off course VTO/VTH work without VTNS. Just power them with any 12-24Vdc power supply. There are pins on the back where you connect power wires. You can even split your ethernet cable to transmit it in parallel with data in one single cable.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T819 mit Tapatalk

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
does anyone what is the 2 wire monitor and how is it different to the other version?

AlbertoIt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
does anyone what is the 2 wire monitor and how is it different to the other version?
Two wires is intended to be used as replacement of a traditional intercom leaving same cables.

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is the difference with the VTH 5421 which includes wifi, i guess we can also connect via cable/poe if needed?

I am currently thinking of getting a 10" monitor and the price difference between VTH1660 and VTH5421 is nothing. I like the white colour with VTH5421 but not sure if it would work the same way as in this thread as i need to connect all using UTP cabling and not wireless.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
What is the difference with the VTH 5421 which includes wifi, i guess we can also connect via cable/poe if needed?

I am currently thinking of getting a 10" monitor and the price difference between VTH1660 and VTH5421 is nothing. I like the white colour with VTH5421 but not sure if it would work the same way as in this thread as i need to connect all using UTP cabling and not wireless.
To my understanding, if you don't have the UTP cabling, you NEED to install the power supply somewhere. And if you want your installation to be neat & clean, you'll have to dig a hole in the wall to hide the transformator in it. My VTH1550CH is white too, with a "silver" design strip at the bottom. High WAF factor ;)

tomczyslaw

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just bought the VTO2000A and VTH1550CH set and trying to get it running. The point I'm stuck with I suppose is adding the master VTH to VTO setup through Web Service. All manuals and videos I've found are based on some other (previous?) web service where you just add VTH in Indoor Manager, but the Web Service 2.0 I'm getting has different menus. Under Household Setting I see "VTO No. Management" and "Room No. Management" but in both I don't see any records and clicking the "Add" button doesn't bring any window to fill in details... Did any of you encounter such problem?

From the VTH itself I added the VTO and it's visible with green icon in settings, but the general icon on home screen says about VTO connectivity problem and the door monitor doesn't work.