Same HV Cam $313 on B&H and $150 on Amazon?!

DroMike

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have many Amcrest cameras but keep hearing Hikvision cams have better night vision. Curiosity peaked, I found an article on the web that compared the two companies, and comparable cameras:

1. Hikvision's Hikvision DS-2CD2085G1-I and
2. Amcrest's IP8M-2496EB.

(ultimately, they gave the Hikvision the slight nod)

The article provided purchase links, Amazon and B&H Photo. However, it mentioned that B&H was an authorized seller and one would be able to get Hikvision's full 3-year warranty ONLY from purchasing it from them. I clicked on both links. Both showed the exact same model number, but there were two discernible differences:

(1) The B&H header prominently displayed the words, "Hikvision Darkfighter DS-2CD2085G1-I...," and the Amazon header read, "Hikvision Original DS-2CD2085G1-I....," but in the specs did say "Powered by Darkvision," and

(2) The B&H price was $313 and the Amazon price (the actual seller is "Bestay") was $150, less than HALF the price from B&H.

Q: WHY is there such a large price discrepancy when the article provided direct links to them if they are the exact same model number? Does one actually have this "Darkvision" night lighting and the other not (although Amazon' link said, "Powered" by Darkvision), or, alternatively, is this 3-year warranty from B&H so important that they charge twice as much for the camera? What am I missing?

For your convenience, below are the URLs to the article and both purchase links for ostensibly the same Hikvision camera:

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, keeping in mind that I haven't followed the links to look, it is always possible that the third-party seller on amazon is selling a gray-market version of the camera (one originally sold for a different region where they normally price things lower). It is a common occurrence, although usually the model number will be different.

It is also very common practice in the CCTV industry to grossly overcharge customers because most customers are actually camera installer businesses who will just pass the expense on to their unwitting customers.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have many Amcrest cameras but keep hearing Hikvision cams have better night vision. Curiosity peaked, I found an article on the web that compared the two companies, and comparable cameras:

The article provided purchase links, Amazon and B&H Photo. However, it mentioned that B&H was an authorized seller and one would be able to get Hikvision's full 3-year warranty ONLY from purchasing it from them. I clicked on both links. Both showed the exact same model number, but there were two discernible differences:

(1) The B&H header prominently displayed the words, "Hikvision Darkfighter DS-2CD2085G1-I...," and the Amazon header read, "Hikvision Original DS-2CD2085G1-I....," but in the specs did say "Powered by Darkvision," and

(2) The B&H price was $313 and the Amazon price (the actual seller is "Bestay") was $150, less than HALF the price from B&H.

Q: WHY is there such a large price discrepancy when the article provided direct links to them if they are the exact same model number? Does one actually have this "Darkvision" night lighting and the other not (although Amazon' link said, "Powered" by Darkvision), or, alternatively, is this 3-year warranty from B&H so important that they charge twice as much for the camera? What am I missing?

For your convenience, below are the URLs to the article and both purchase links for ostensibly the same Hikvision camera:
You are confused. Both hik and dahua have great low light cameras. It depends on the model. Both also make horrible cameras for low light. The BH version is 209 not 313. The $60 is for purchasing from an authorized reseller with warranty. I have removed your link to the fake review site which mostly post information gleaned from this forum and I consider it spam.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Hi @DroMike

Same reason why sometimes I can find the exact same product for 30-50% less from another vendor, or even another time from the same vendor (*) ... deals come and go, vendors have different profit margins, business expenses.

( * - example Lorex - sometimes their asking price is insane.. and then some deals during BF-cyberweek when you can get a kit for a lot less.. )

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Study this: Cliff Notes

DroMike

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"'I SEE,' said the blind man...!" Thanks everybody for your valuable insights and the education. - Mike