Scotland CCTV Newb

Reaction score
Hi All
I was going to say that I was looking for!!!, but the truth is I dont know what Im looking for.

I am looking for CCTV kit to cover the front and back of the house (4 dome cameras) mounted up on the soffits of the house, with NVR inc HD for recording. Monitoring on PC phone app was be nice.

Was looking at the POE reolink systems, 5mp cameras, but they seem to get varied reviews. The myriad of available systems is head spinning.

My installer is recommending 3.6m lens but other than that its all ive got (friends brother doing a home job as a favour)

Any help or suggestions would be welcome budget is max 500 £

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Stay away from domes. Go with turret-style cameras.

Read the Wiki here and the Cliff notes. It is a LOT to take in, but well worth learning a lot before you make any decisions or purchases.

Plan on a lot more cameras.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Stay away from domes. Go with turret-style cameras.
That's good advice.

But also - mounting high up (I'm assuming from your mention of soffits) will only give you an 'overview' of activity.
What happened, but not who did it. Insufficient detail.

The myriad of available systems is head spinning.
It is, there are loads and loads of offerings.
But if you stick with big brands such as Hikvision and Dahua, not only will you get a good, reliable product, but you'll get loads of info and help on this forum.

If you know what you are doing (bit it's a big if, there is a lot of junk out there), and are not looking for the very latest models, used kit can be a good way to reduce the outlay. Until you upgrade.

BTW, I've cycled past your way quite a few times - Pencaitland Railway Path ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Note reolink is a lying scamming company and has fake Amazon reviews. See fakespot.com

Reaction score
That's good advice.

But also - mounting high up (I'm assuming from your mention of soffits) will only give you an 'overview' of activity.
What happened, but not who did it. Insufficient detail.

It is, there are loads and loads of offerings.
But if you stick with big brands such as Hikvision and Dahua, not only will you get a good, reliable product, but you'll get loads of info and help on this forum.

If you know what you are doing (bit it's a big if, there is a lot of junk out there), and are not looking for the very latest models, used kit can be a good way to reduce the outlay. Until you upgrade.

BTW, I've cycled past your way quite a few times - Pencaitland Railway Path ?
Thanks,

I dont live in Edinburgh but I do work there, so you will have cycled past as such!!

Reaction score
Note reolink is a lying scamming company and has fake Amazon reviews. See fakespot.com
I went onto fakespot and updated the analysis just there for their 5mp kit with 4 bullet cameras. It got an A grade with minimal deception, one flag was that 9 reviews had been removed by Amazon. You are not the first person though to say the reviews on there are fake

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I went onto fakespot and updated the analysis just there for their 5mp kit with 4 bullet cameras. It got an A grade with minimal deception, one flag was that 9 reviews had been removed by Amazon. You are not the first person though to say the reviews on there are fake
They post lots of fake reviews... Amazon remove them... But they don't catch all of them and neither does fake spot... Setting that aside the company lies both to its customers and on this forum and to this forum... Their hardware and firmware is also subpar.... Avoid that junk like the plague... The 5-megapixel kit will be poor for low light at night vision... Among other issues it will have... But sometimes you need to learn the hard way.

Reaction score
They post lots of fake reviews... Amazon remove them... But they don't catch all of them and neither does fake spot... Setting that aside the company lies both to its customers and on this forum and to this forum... Their hardware and firmware is also subpar.... Avoid that junk like the plague... The 5-megapixel kit will be poor for low light at night vision... Among other issues it will have... But sometimes you need to learn the hard way.
Thanks, it did seem a bit fishy so I will be avoiding them. No point joining a forum like this and then ignoring the advice from members with more experience that I. Hik vision will definitely be one of the contenders

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Read the wiki, in the blue bar at the top of the page.

If you want fewer problems go with dahua or hikvision cameras. Make sure they are from a good vendor. Stay away from the Chinese hacked cameras from these same manufacturers