SD flash card cameras, no Wi-Fi---- IMPOSSIBLE FIND

Jeff Jot

n3wb
Reaction score
First, let me express my general frustration that every online forum eventually divides everyone up into so many blinking Sub-Forums, you can't ask a general question anywhere without most people not seeing it and its so much more inefficient. But things have been like that for decades.

Now for my next complaint, lol!

While digital cameras are all the rage everywhere, ALL of them today INSIST on requiring WI-FI access for their use- so that governments, companies and hackers can enjoy themselves peeping through them at their leisure.
I don't need this!
All I want is a motion camera that shows itself as a theft deterrent, and also records evidence of break-ins, etc, to an SD flash card. This is out on property where I am NOT paying for Wi-Fi nor do I want to pay for a monthly subscription or give hackers their peeping, or let Alexa spy on this boring place, its not necessary. Just a plain old motion camera that records to say a 128 GB flash drive in a loop, so it overwrites when it gets to the end and starts over.
Someone breaks in or mayhem happens? Why then there's video footage of who did it. Thats all I need!!!

But where is such a camera sold?
I've bought 4 cameras off Amazon that all claim they "also" motion-write to an SD mini flash card, and they just don't work. I have a teeny noveltly 'spy' camera that does this perfectly fine, but I don't want that, I want a camera that is open in plain view and that will deter break-ins by its presence. Does this make sense?
I don't want it solar powered, or battery powered, because I don't want to have to go and change batteries or have it not work when a cloud goes by.
Just a plain plug-in camera that motion-writes to an SD flash. Anyone have any luck findng such a simple, common sense item for sale on the market anywhere?

Jeff Jot

n3wb
Reaction score
@Greg thanks that is the general idea, but doesn't really present itself as a theft deterrent and its also battery powered which means I have to keep driving over to the site and checking the batteries.
I imagine I could rig a mount to the building and perhaps hot-wire it to a DC adapter (possibly, not guaranteed that would work) but it would still look weird. Is there anything out there that really looks like a traditional security camera?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First, let me express my general frustration that every online forum eventually divides everyone up into so many blinking Sub-Forums, you can't ask a general question anywhere without most people not seeing it and its so much more inefficient. But things have been like that for decades.

Now for my next complaint, lol!

While digital cameras are all the rage everywhere, ALL of them today INSIST on requiring WI-FI access for their use- so that governments, companies and hackers can enjoy themselves peeping through them at their leisure.
I don't need this!
All I want is a motion camera that shows itself as a theft deterrent, and also records evidence of break-ins, etc, to an SD flash card. This is out on property where I am NOT paying for Wi-Fi nor do I want to pay for a monthly subscription or give hackers their peeping, or let Alexa spy on this boring place, its not necessary. Just a plain old motion camera that records to say a 128 GB flash drive in a loop, so it overwrites when it gets to the end and starts over.
Someone breaks in or mayhem happens? Why then there's video footage of who did it. Thats all I need!!!

But where is such a camera sold?
I've bought 4 cameras off Amazon that all claim they "also" motion-write to an SD mini flash card, and they just don't work. I have a teeny noveltly 'spy' camera that does this perfectly fine, but I don't want that, I want a camera that is open in plain view and that will deter break-ins by its presence. Does this make sense?
I don't want it solar powered, or battery powered, because I don't want to have to go and change batteries or have it not work when a cloud goes by.
Just a plain plug-in camera that motion-writes to an SD flash. Anyone have any luck findng such a simple, common sense item for sale on the market anywhere?
Welcome @Jeff Jot

Please confirm / adjust the requirements list I have attempted to put together from your post:

1) SD card memory storage
2) Not WiFi
3) Not Cloud Storage
4) Not required Alexa / Siri .. etc ( thus no Cloud Connectivity )
5) Not Spy / Hidden Camera
6) Not solar powered
7) Not Battery Powered. ( ok, so wired power )

ok .. so a wired camera, that has SD memory card slot for storage, which can do some motion detection. ( note, motion detection is not yet perfect, so many also setup an alarm system or record continuously )

Is that about right?

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
a wired “spy” like hidden camera is more difficult to find. Most advertised models are wifi. I was thinking in a camera with a pinhole lens, included inside an electrical clock or radio. It will requiere a diy process, plus you need to install the unit near a network connector.

Jeff Jot

n3wb
Reaction score
@mat200 yes that is exactly correct.
House wired 'spy' cameras that just write to flash SD in a loop were pretty easy for me to find. I have a couple as novelty items but spying on people is not really my game, nor do I have the time for that..... anyways eventually these things almost invariably get found by the person being spied on, and you're both out the money and likely to be spied on yourself next. Not worth it really unless you're just a kid having fun with them, lol.

I want something exactly like this in function but that looks like a real security camera, because of course people are less likely to commit a crime to begin with if they look up and see cameras. I could just put up dummy cameras but having actual video footage of a break in really pays off, especially in hit-and-run or burglary situations reported to police where you are SOL otherwise.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
sorry, did not catch your desire for a non-spy camera. Many cube wired camera could do the trick

Jeff Jot

n3wb
Reaction score
>sorry, did not catch your desire for a non-spy camera>>
Because the main purponse of the camera is to be a burglary deterrent simply by being visible. A spy camera is no good in this regard, that only helps you AFTER the crime and after the property is broken into and the stuff is stolen. Does that make better sense?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is the nice thing about this forum, is even though there are subforums, we see it all on the home/what's new page...

Um, most of us here have our cameras doing exactly that....

We have isolated the cameras from the internet so that they do not have access to the outside world.

You can do that with almost any Dahua, Lorex, Amcrest, Hikvision, among others...

Any of the cameras sold by @EMPIRETECANDY here and on his Amazon store do just what you are looking for...

Now it won't be exactly plug-n-play, you gotta know what to turn off in the camera, but if you don't plug it into the internet, then it won't see the internet either...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Jeff Jot

n3wb
Reaction score
Um, most of us here have our cameras doing exactly that....

We have isolated the cameras from the internet so that they do not have access to the outside world.
WONDERFUL! Yes, please, an exact link to a specific model that worked for you would be great. As I said I have already bought 3 different models off Amazon and returned them all because they did not work this way. Though they had SD flash cards, and claimed to do this, in practice they did not. I have found it a surprisingly hard item to find.
And NO, I do not ever want Internet with this camera, I don't have Internet at this site, I DON'T WANT INTERNET. Everyone is cramming Internet and Alexa and Cloud Storage down my throat every shopping page I go to. I just want to go to the camera, get on a ladder, pop the SD card out and viola, motion-detected AVI or MOV files showing who busted in and stole the stuff, which I can take to the police god forbid that ever happens. Otherwise without any evidence they just tell you, "Sorry, buy-bye". Thanks lol

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Because the main purponse of the camera is to be a burglary deterrent simply by being visible. A spy camera is no good in this regard, that only helps you AFTER the crime and after the property is broken into and the stuff is stolen. Does that make better sense?
Just use this one.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Keep in mind that you will need to buy an SD card. Also keep in mind "standard" SD cards won't last very long if used for continuous video recording which means cheap SD cards won't hold up for very long.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are not at the property every day, you will not want continuous loop. Depending on the camera settings (MP, FPS, bitrate) you could get a day to 4 days of continuous record on a 128GB SD card.

Jeff Jot

n3wb
Reaction score
Just use this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Loryta-IPC-T5241H-AS-PV-Eyeball-Network-English/dp/B07V1QW7RG/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=IPC-T5241H-AS-PV&m=A329YQ83EBQGJF&qid=1631841755&s=merchant-items&sr=1-1
Thanks, though this seems pretty loaded down with features I don't need though and wow, $144.00..... I just wanted a simple camera, the ones I have previously tried out only cost around $39. Wouldn't something like this not needing cloud, ISP and Alexa, Alexa Alexa be even cheaper? Surely.......

If you are not at the property every day, you will not want continuous loop. Depending on the camera settings (MP, FPS, bitrate) you could get a day to 4 days of continuous record on a 128GB SD card.
I absolutely DON'T! I don't want continuous loop, that would be way too much hassle. I don't want to have to spend days looking through footage. Just AI motion detect and loop recording to SD card would be fine. Honestly as I said I have exactly this in a teeny spy camera, it just doesn't look like a security camera and therefore is useless as a theft deterrent. Also the little bugger I have is not an outdoor camera. Crazy how hard this sort of thing has been to find.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Just use this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Loryta-IPC-T5241H-AS-PV-Eyeball-Network-English/dp/B07V1QW7RG/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=IPC-T5241H-AS-PV&m=A329YQ83EBQGJF&qid=1631841755&s=merchant-items&sr=1-1

Thanks, though this seems pretty loaded down with features I don't need though and wow, $144.00..... I just wanted a simple camera, the ones I have previously tried out only cost around $39. Wouldn't something like this not needing cloud, ISP and Alexa, Alexa Alexa be even cheaper? Surely.......
Set up a coupon for you, 19% off. 39USD cams can be a toy cam, can't be really good for security purpose.

1631842554367.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You get what you pay for, and for $40 you get a camera that phones home to china and needs internet access to gain access to the rest of the "software" that is put into better cameras that you can isolate from the internet.

It is much cheaper to simply have the camera "phone home" and have all the infrastructure for the rest of the functionality off in China somewhere.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @Jeff Jot

Many of us have IP PoE cameras, some of which fully meet your requirements.

Remember IP PoE cameras typically do not come with a power source equipment, so most members pickup something like a small PoE switch to get started with a couple of cameras.