SD flash card cameras, no Wi-Fi---- IMPOSSIBLE FIND

Reaction score
Anyone have any luck findng such a simple, common sense item for sale on the market anywhere?
In my opinion, you are overthinking what you need. Since you have power available, my advice is to put up a couple of good PoE cameras and record the video on a PoE-enabled NVR. Install a router to create an "ad hoc" network at your property for the cameras and NVR to operate in. It won't have an Internet connection, and neither will it need one. The cameras will record to the NVR, which you can set up for motion detection only. When you visit your property, you will easily be able to review any of the video clips on the NVR without climbing ladders to remove SD cards.

This has numerous advantages. First, the video is not stored in the cameras, so destroying or stealing them won't cause you to lose your evidence. Second, you can hide the NVR so a thief won't easily spot it and steal it. Third, you can connect the NVR to a UPS to continue recording even if your property temporarily loses power. Fourth, a good surveillance-rated hard drive will last much longer, and be much more reliable than an SD card.

For a few hundred dollars you can have a system that will do everything you need. You can configure it and test it at home, then take it up to your property and install it there. The only drawback is that you won't have access to a network time server, so you'll need to remember to reset the NVR clock whenever you visit.

Also, with the right cameras and NVR you won't have to choose between continuous-time recordings and motion-detection clips. You can have both - the motion clips (or still shots) for quickly reviewing what happened, and continuous-time recordings in case you need a more complete record.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
My comment is that in reality surveillance cameras are not what they are portrayed as in the movies, like "The Accountant" or "Enemy of the State". I guess if your budget is big enough and you don't mind cameras the size of a microwave hanging off the house it could be more like Hollywood makes it appear to be, but even then it won't be.

The reality is that for $40 you won't get a camera that will provide useable video, especially at night. It takes the right combination of sensor size matched to the camera resolution to get good night video. The least expensive cameras that meet your "specs" are 2MP on a 1/2.8" sensor and generally cost $100, each, and up depending on the other features.

Jeff Jot

n3wb
Reaction score
$240?!!
I'm exhausted looking for an affordable solution to this.
Maybe I'll just use the little spy camera I already have, and go buy a dummy camera for 'display deterrent' purposes for about $10 bucks.
It would mean mounting an outlet outside.... but beggars can't be choosers.
Crazy how hard this is to find.

I've bought at least 3 'Alexa Ready' cameras loaded to the hilt with features for around $39, I don't want any of those... just plain old SD loop recording.
Why should it cost 4x as much?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well, you may think those Alexa Ready cameras for $39 are loaded to the hilt with features, but then try to use it when it matters the most (you got robbed) and all you get a blur....the sensors are poor in them and are made cheaply and just plain don't work except for maybe a baby or pet monitor. All the infrastructure is back home in China supporting that cheap camera via the internet for all to see.

There is a perp in this picture....can you find him????? I will give you a hint, he is in between the two columns....does this provide any useful information to you other than knowing what time you were robbed? The police certainly cannot do anything with this picture to identify the perp....this is the kinda quality one gets from cheap consumer grade cameras...

1631904642856.png

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
There are currently three types loosely speaking as it pertains to Micro SD cards. I won’t get into the different memory types as you can easily Google the same.

Regardless the following Micro SD cards have been used since their initial release with no failures in any of the installs which encompasses thousands of security cameras with edge recording.

If you’re serious about edge recording the industrial class of memory is the only ones to buy which uses the latest memory technology to insure years of trouble free recording.

It should be clearly noted 128GB capacity of the same is extremely expensive and not available via Amazon so will need to find an authorized seller to obtain the same.

Lastly, edge recording should NOT be used as the soul means to save video! It must be stored in multiple places and locations to guard against possible memory failure which will happen even if it takes 10 years!

These offer a 2 year warranty:

These offer 10 year warranty:

These offer a lifetime warranty:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You get what you pay for in Surveillance technology.
The photo of the Felon who had a Postal Workers key and stole our outgoing mail, is depicted here. one of several visits before we figured out what was going on.
this was after the USPS master key was changed. He could not get into the mail. Afterwards I upped my game and you can see the license plates in these cameras.... or a better night vision as well.
the big honkin Camera hanging out front will catch your eye. as it should.

Attachments

Reaction score
$240?!!
Maybe I'll just use the little spy camera I already have, and go buy a dummy camera for 'display deterrent' purposes for about $10 bucks.

I've bought at least 3 'Alexa Ready' cameras loaded to the hilt with features for around $39, I don't want any of those... just plain old SD loop recording.
Good security cameras are not cheap. Cheap security cameras are not good. You are allowing price to sidetrack you from your goal.

How much damage could a thief cause to your property? How much could he steal? Several thousand dollars, potentially? Tens of thousands? If so, isn't it worth spending a few hundred dollars on a camera system that at least has the potential of providing you with actionable evidence if a crime occurs?

A system with a couple of decent PoE cameras and an NVR can be put together for about $500, and it will be worth every penny if a crime does occur.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
$50 cameras have thier place. Like in my underground parking garage. The 24-7 lighting make it easy to recognize folks. No need for a Varifocal Super Zoom cam in that scenario. (yet)

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
$240?!!

Hi @Jeff Jot

Woah .. you're now noting a change in your requirements.

The original requirements are here:

Welcome @Jeff Jot

Please confirm / adjust the requirements list I have attempted to put together from your post:

1) SD card memory storage
2) Not WiFi
3) Not Cloud Storage
4) Not required Alexa / Siri .. etc ( thus no Cloud Connectivity )
5) Not Spy / Hidden Camera
6) Not solar powered
7) Not Battery Powered. ( ok, so wired power )

ok .. so a wired camera, that has SD memory card slot for storage, which can do some motion detection. ( note, motion detection is not yet perfect, so many also setup an alarm system or record continuously )

Is that about right?
Due to the pandemic the supply chain has been disrupted and there are fewer deals around.

If you want to drop the microSD card slot, you perhaps could find a slightly more affordable camera.

Right now, the camera Andy recommend with the discount code is imho a good option that meets your requirements.

Set up a coupon for you, 19% off. 39USD cams can be a toy cam, can't be really good for security purpose.

View attachment 101883
Do you have any requirements that the camera is able to perform? Or do you think a dummy camera is good enough?

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@jeffjot
One possibilty for the "IMPOSSIBLE" camera:

Get a $44 IP3M-943W from amcrest.com or at ebay from amcrestdirect.
You would need a router and phone or PC for initial setup, but then install it anywhere without a router. It should just keep recording motion events to SD card in a loop, even after a camera power off/on or reboot.
Just remove SD card for viewing when necessary.
Or get a $19 router and turn it on when needed. Then use your phone or laptop to view camera recordings or save recordings. If some camera is too far from router, just move router and phone closer to camera. If you get a router, use it it for initial camera setup.
Camera comes with a 12V wall wart adapter. you can make an extension cable with proper wire size to extend distance to 120V AC receptacle if needed.

When the popup window appears in the following link, chat with the guy and you may get a discount.

I have used this router for many years.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks Jack7 ....I just bought a couple for a renter, who just needs a package monitoring camera.
(edit) he said out of stock on all three colors :/
ebays show availability from Amcrest Direct on the white model

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Jack7 ....I just bought a couple for a renter, who just needs a package monitoring camera.
(edit) he said out of stock on all three colors :/
ebays show availability from Amcrest Direct on the white model
FYI - Andy or others may have similar options for those OK with smaller sensors ...

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
$240?!!

You obviously don't understand what you don't know.
$40.00 cameras WILL fail you when you most need them.
The first line of defense is a good hard wired monitored alarm system.
Study this: Cliff Notes
And this:

Attachments

Jeff Jot

n3wb
Reaction score
You would need a router and phone or PC for initial setup, but then install it anywhere without a router. It should just keep recording motion events to SD card in a loop, even after a camera power off/on or reboot.
Or get a $19 router and turn it on when needed. Then use your phone or laptop to view camera recordings or save recordings. If some camera is too far from router, just move router and phone closer to camera. If you get a router, use it it for initial camera setup.
Camera comes with a 12V wall wart adapter. you can make an extension cable with proper wire size to extend distance to 120V AC receptacle if needed.
Having already bought and returned 3 cameras because they would not perform this simple function, can I be sure that this camera can have its 'operating software' downloaded at home off my router..... never mind why it couldn't just come with its operating software right out of the box...... then I can drive out to the site across town where there is NO Wi-Fi or router, just a 120V plug...... plug it in, and supposedly this thing is going to forevermore motion record in a loop to say a 128 GB flash..... allowing you to simply pop out the flash card at any time and view the video files, Simple Simon, Happy Life?

Or is the software going to be wiped out every time the camera loses power, forcing me to have to take down the camera, drive back across town and set it up again every time I power off to check the SD card?
I need to know this for sure, as I said, fool me once, fool me twice, fool me thrice. All the other models online said they would do this, and no, they did NOT and I had to return them.
Why can't someone, ANYONE just make a simple security camera that motion records in a loop to an SD card? Why does it always have to 'download' something, Cloud Storage something, subscribe to something, Alexa something, use a blinking router?

Also why won't this forum simply allow you you to highlight and copy your text so you can save it before posting???? Oh for the simpler days. Talk about frustrating. But that's beside the point......

Last edited:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score

Having already bought and returned 3 cameras because they would not perform this simple function, can I be sure that this camera can have its 'operating software' downloaded at home off my router..... never mind why it couldn't just come with its operating software right out of the box...... then I can drive out to the site across town where there is NO Wi-Fi or router, just a 120V plug...... plug it in, and supposedly this thing is going to forevermore motion record in a loop to say a 128 GB flash..... allowing you to simply pop out the flash card at any time and view the video files, Simple Simon, Happy Life?

Or is the software going to be wiped out every time the camera loses power, forcing me to have to take down the camera, drive back across town and set it up again every time I power off to check the SD card?
I need to know this for sure, as I said, fool me once, fool me twice, fool me thrice. All the other models online said they would do this, and no, they did NOT and I had to return them.
Why can't someone, ANYONE just make a simple security camera that motion records in a loop to an SD card? Why does it always have to 'download' something, Cloud Storage something, subscribe to something, Alexa something, use a blinking router?

Also why won't this forum simply allow you you to highlight and copy your text so you can save it before posting???? Oh for the simpler days. Talk about frustrating. But that's beside the point......
I don’t know what you’re going on about. Every current Dahua / Hikvision security camera incorporates an internal Micro SD card slot to use whatever capacity it allows.

Login to the camera and review the recorded video (loop). If you need to remove the memory card to view the contents you’ll simply need to have a computer running either the companies proprietary viewing software or a universal one.

Spend under $150.00 on the two brands I noted and your fine. Spend more than $150.XX you’re doing great. Spend above $450.XX the world is your oyster!

Reaction score

I keep wondering at what point you are going to realize that your time, effort, and frustration are costing you more than the money you're trying to save. The solution you need is already available. Install one or two decent PoE cameras with an NVR. It won't require a connection to the Internet, and it will robustly recover from a power outage.

Jeff Jot

n3wb
Reaction score
>>I keep wondering at what point you are going to realize that your time, effort, and frustration are costing you more than the money you're trying to save.>>>
I'm not trying to save money!!!! I just want a simple camera that will motion record to an SD flash card in a loop WITHOUT WI-FI OR ROUTER required!!!!!
This site I need it for does not have a router or Wi-Fi Access available.
Sorry to verify so much but I've already bought 3 and returned, that claimed in their ads would do this, and did not! Thanks!!!!!!

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The problem is he wants all that for $30. That just ain't gonna happen. I think it stems from watching Hollywood movies and seeing the magic of surveillance camera portrayed in them, courtesy of editing, exceedingly expensive cameras and the special effects department using a whole team of computers.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But you are trying to save money when we pointed you to an excellent active deterrence camera that exceeds all that you want except for the price point and you made a big deal about the price of that camera.

And Like I said in post #3 that a cheap Amcrest would work...and if you know what you are doing, you don't even need to initially hook it up to the internet....

This one says you need to initialize it the first time hooked to the internet, but I did it without being hooked to the internet and it works just fine...

I would still opt for the higher end Dahua, but this Amcrest is going to provide better image than any other cheap $30 camera you have tried so far...