SD49225T-HN frequent restarts

ThomWi

n3wb
Reaction score
I've had my SD49225T-HN for about 10 days now. You can see my setup in the following thread.

My setup (SD492225T-HN) and request for software recommendations

The camera seems to be restarting itself several times a day. On power-up I have it set to point at my patio. I notice at different points throughout the day after using the camera, and expecting it to still be pointed elsewhere, that it has pointed itself back at the patio. The logs show "Abort" followed by "Start Up" but every once and a while there's a "Reboot" as well. My initial thoughts are 1) Flaky Network, 2) Flaky POE injector, 3) Camera drawing too much power, 4) Flaky Camera.

1) Flaky Network.
I've pulled the ethernet out of the router, waited a minute, and plugged it back in. The camera didn't restart and the stream picked right back up like nothing happened. So I'm ruling this out.

2) Flaky POE injector.
I'm using this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EUAL55U/). No idea how to test if it's doing the job, or occasionally dipping below 802.3at spec. However, I'm inclined to rule this out as I see the following from the "Life Statistics" on the camera.
Supply Voltage Abnormity Duration 0day(s) 0hour(s) 0minute(s) 0Sec.

3) Camera drawing too much power.
No idea how to test for this, but one would hope this wouldn't even be possible. Below you see my video specs. I use the Main Stream on occasion to manually look around the yard, track wildlife, etc. The Sub Stream is used to FTP to my NAS when motion is detected.

On a side note, my original intention was to use the Surveillance Station software on the QNAP NAS to record the Sub Stream, but it seems that software will only allow me to record the Main Stream. So instead I rely on the camera's motion detection to push the sub stream to the NAS via FTP.

The camera has never restarted while I am watching the Main Stream and manually controlling the PTZ. I would think that is the single situation which would have the greatest power draw (highest bit rate stream, lots of motors running). Instead the camera is restarting during time I would consider it idle.

4) Flaky Camera.
I suppose when all else is removed this is the last option left.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues? Any advice?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
I've had my SD49225T-HN for about 10 days now. You can see my setup in the following thread.

My setup (SD492225T-HN) and request for software recommendations

The camera seems to be restarting itself several times a day. On power-up I have it set to point at my patio. I notice at different points throughout the day after using the camera, and expecting it to still be pointed elsewhere, that it has pointed itself back at the patio. The logs show "Abort" followed by "Start Up" but every once and a while there's a "Reboot" as well. My initial thoughts are 1) Flaky Network, 2) Flaky POE injector, 3) Camera drawing too much power, 4) Flaky Camera.

1) Flaky Network.
I've pulled the ethernet out of the router, waited a minute, and plugged it back in. The camera didn't restart and the stream picked right back up like nothing happened. So I'm ruling this out.

2) Flaky POE injector.
I'm using this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EUAL55U/). No idea how to test if it's doing the job, or occasionally dipping below 802.3at spec. However, I'm inclined to rule this out as I see the following from the "Life Statistics" on the camera.
Supply Voltage Abnormity Duration 0day(s) 0hour(s) 0minute(s) 0Sec.

3) Camera drawing too much power.
No idea how to test for this, but one would hope this wouldn't even be possible. Below you see my video specs. I use the Main Stream on occasion to manually look around the yard, track wildlife, etc. The Sub Stream is used to FTP to my NAS when motion is detected.

On a side note, my original intention was to use the Surveillance Station software on the QNAP NAS to record the Sub Stream, but it seems that software will only allow me to record the Main Stream. So instead I rely on the camera's motion detection to push the sub stream to the NAS via FTP.

The camera has never restarted while I am watching the Main Stream and manually controlling the PTZ. I would think that is the single situation which would have the greatest power draw (highest bit rate stream, lots of motors running). Instead the camera is restarting during time I would consider it idle.

4) Flaky Camera.
I suppose when all else is removed this is the last option left.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues? Any advice?
I have with a camera on the order of a SD59225. I would have to say it's your POE+ Power Injector. It's only rated at 1 amp output. Look at the specs. Your camera requires 13w idle, with 20w with IR on. Your POE Injector is not able to handle that. Frequent restarts are one indication of not enough power.

And what is with the '200 day' warranty on the injector? Certainly not a sign of a quality product, IMO.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ThomWi

n3wb
Reaction score
@weigle2 Thanks for weighing in. Just to play devil's advocate, if the POE injector uses the 802.3AT standard doesn't that mean it has to deliver the 25.5 watts that the spec demands? Also, why wouldn't the camera detect the supply voltage abnormality?

I'll look for a better quality POE injector. Any suggestions? It will need to be fairly slim to fit in my electrical box.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@weigle2 Thanks for weighing in. Just to play devil's advocate, if the POE injector uses the 802.3AT standard doesn't that mean it has to deliver the 25.5 watts that the spec demands? Also, why wouldn't the camera detect the supply voltage abnormality?

I'll look for a better quality POE injector. Any suggestions? It will need to be fairly slim to fit in my electrical box.
Its highly likely that its an af injector...junk brand - specs are not accurate...its telling that it does not state poe+ anywhere and is geared towards phones that dont need at...
the injector does not need to be in a box, it should be near the switch...or better yet use a poe+ switch.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

PoE Switch Options 2018-02-21.xlsx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JayS_IPCams

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am having the same issues :( I tried a couple different POE+ injectors. One being on the list @giomania gave the BV POE-I100GH.
I still get frequent reboots :(
Any other ideas, or do I run a second 12v wire? which of course kinda beats the POE+

My wires is a CAT6 FTP-shielded (properly terminated and worked for over a month on another camera). Length is about 30 ft at most.

Reboots even in the daytime, so amps shouldn't be an issue from spec sheet... although it is cold out, and it says it has a heater, so perhaps thats it?
Doesn't reboot during PTZ movement (or at least hasn't yet), which I would guess draws much more power.

Flaky Cam or POE+? how do you tell which it is?

Thanks

ThomWi

n3wb
Reaction score
I still have the problem, even with a better POE injector. I noticed that it is worse in cold weather, like the last couple months up here in Wisconsin. I’ve chalked it up to flaky camera. I wonder if a firmware update would help, but I’m afraid to apply one not being confident that it would re-boot into English.

JayS_IPCams

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I still have the problem, even with a better POE injector. I noticed that it is worse in cold weather, like the last couple months up here in Wisconsin. I’ve chalked it up to flaky camera. I wonder if a firmware update would help, but I’m afraid to apply one not being confident that it would re-boot into English.
@EMPIRETECANDY warranty? or do you have a new firmware?

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would try doing a factory reset first and if you don’t want to have too much hassle maybe save your settings and re-load them?

JayS_IPCams

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would try doing a factory reset first and if you don’t want to have too much hassle maybe save your settings and re-load them?

its a brand new camera with no settings except IP address space... what would a factory reset accomplish, aside from a bit PITA as I have to bring a laptop to the location to direct connect and be on the same address space to setup again :(

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I am having the same issues :( I tried a couple different POE+ injectors. One being on the list @giomania gave the BV POE-I100GH.
I still get frequent reboots :(
Any other ideas, or do I run a second 12v wire? which of course kinda beats the POE+

My wires is a CAT6 FTP-shielded (properly terminated and worked for over a month on another camera). Length is about 30 ft at most.

Reboots even in the daytime, so amps shouldn't be an issue from spec sheet... although it is cold out, and it says it has a heater, so perhaps thats it?
Doesn't reboot during PTZ movement (or at least hasn't yet), which I would guess draws much more power.

Flaky Cam or POE+? how do you tell which it is?

Thanks
Those are junk injectors and should be removed from the recommended list. Before spending all the money to send it back I would definitely test it with a good 12v power supply. I use this one for testing and is over rated but cheap.

Quality 12V DC 5A 5 amp 60W POWER Supply ADAPTER Transformer LED Strip, CCTV, PC 701806054234 | eBay

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its a brand new camera with no settings except IP address space... what would a factory reset accomplish, aside from a bit PITA as I have to bring a laptop to the location to direct connect and be on the same address space to setup again :(
Agreed that would be pointless, provided you already performed the recommended best practice of a factory reset while bench testing the camera.

Mark

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those are junk injectors and should be removed from the recommended list. Before spending all the money to send it back I would definitely test it with a good 12v power supply. I use this one for testing and is over rated but cheap.

Quality 12V DC 5A 5 amp 60W POWER Supply ADAPTER Transformer LED Strip, CCTV, PC 701806054234 | eBay
To be completely transparent, the name of the file is “POE switch options” and the name of the thread is “POE switch suggestion list”.

I was very cognizant not to have the word “recommended” in those titles.

That said, if these injectors are problematic, I can note that in the spreadsheet.

Mark

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

JayS_IPCams

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks... I have a brandname TRENDNet PoE+ adapter i'll try next. The first one that didn't work was a Unifi 48v 0.5A adapter, although technically 24W, I worried it was maxing out on occation.
Still doesn't explain why during the daytime (no IR on) it happens :(
If that doesn't work, I'll see if I can make time to re-wire with a 12v adapter (I have a 6A one similar to @Tinman has i can use) and some outdoor 16AWG wire that should work well.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The camera seems to be restarting itself several times a day
I've been dealing with what may be the same issue since I installed my SD49225T-HN several months ago, with this exception: instead of "rebooting" my SD49225T-HN seems to become unresponsive for 5 or 10 minutes (whereas a reboot takes only several minutes). In addition, my SD49225T-HN appears to respond to ping requests during the time it is unresponsive.

I've tried several things to remediate this issue, and I will be trying more.

My SD49225T-HN is running off a PoE+ 802AT switch.

@ThomWi...please post the firmware your SD49225T-HN is running.

Here is the firmware my SD49225T-HN is running...
  • System Version 2.622.0000000.7.R.R4.2510.9A.NR, Build Date: 2018-04-04
  • WEB Version 3.2.1.563437
  • ONVIF Version 16.12(V2.4.1.513183)
  • PTZ Version 3.02.93.RHNZ_170518_22722

Last edited:

ThomWi

n3wb
Reaction score
System Version2.621.0000000.1.R.R4.2510.9A.NR, Build Date: 2017-10-23
WEB Version3.2.1.508074
ONVIF Version16.12(V2.4.0.485616)
PTZ Version3.02.93.RHNZ_170518_22722

JayS_IPCams

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have same as @QTM

System Version 2.622.0000000.7.R.R4.2510.9A.NR, Build Date: 2018-04-04
WEB Version 3.2.1.563437
ONVIF Version 16.12(V2.4.1.513183)
PTZ Version 3.02.93.RHNZ_170518_22722

Can we downgrade? and where do we get a reliable firmware?

Thanks