SD6AL433XA-HNR Laser PTZ Tracking Issue

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I really wish I knew why it is skipping frames and going fast forward on the video.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow - you really want this to work by taking that tree out LOL!

OK - now that we got that figured out you can start knocking parameters back down - gain at 100 and NR at 63 is probably too high.

Does the laser have Smart or Auto? Now with that tree gone, it may work better with the smart or auto.

Is the skipping only when you are putting it here or is it doing it in the NVR also? Do you have an SD card in the camera and if so, does it exhibit this behavior?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are about there now! It's the fine tweaking that can take the longest though LOL.

As long as it plays back for you ok is what is important but I wonder if it is a bandwidth issue with the NVR?

What bitrate are you running on this camera and then within the NVR itself for all your cameras? Does the iframe and FPS match?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I’d work with one control at a time.
Either put gain and Iris back to something more neutral like 60 and play with the laser IR
OR
Leave the laser IR where you have it and play with gain and Iris.

Laser IR has the same settings almost as regular IR. SmartIR, ZoomPrio, Manual

From the looks of SmartIR it’s not going to work at your distance. It’s more of a “flood” and tapers off at extreme distance.

I would try exposure at 1/60, gain and Iris at 60-70 and manual Laser IR playing with the intensity and angle. If you can get reasonably good light on target then try to get exposure to 1/120 ideally which may mean bumping gain and Iris up a smidge more and/or increasing laser IR intensity

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you guys for your help last night. In regards to a resource issue with the NVR, I just went in and made sure and actually had to change a couple of the spotter cams to H265 encoding, Smart Codec off, Resolution 1920*1080, 15 FPS Bit Rate Type CBR, with matching IFrames, and 4096-bit rate, no Substream enabled. A question, is there a way of improving the NVR's capabilities (additional RAM, etc)?

Tonight I will continue with the videos and tuning the camera in based on your suggestions and thank you again for all your help and advice.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A question, is there a way of improving the NVR's capabilities (additional RAM, etc)?
Switch to the NVR known as Blue Iris/PC LOL.

One of the many issues with NVRs is they are what they are without much room to make improvements - maybe a firmware update here and change a fan out there, but most have found they are underpowered CPUs...

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure what NVR model you’re using but I have a number of them installed including a 5216 full of 5442’s running 30fps and 8192 CBR, and a 5232 with 24 5231’s running the same.

My 6 series ptz is running 10240 /30 fps along with 4 other 5442’s on a lite model 4208 NVR

I think it’s more a connection issue, though I dont run h.265.

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
BigRedFish: Do you think changing my encoding would help? I would do anything to get mine running like yours, please let me know how to make it happen sir, thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lowering the bitrate to the lowest amount you can before you see degradation will be a big improvement. Next is lowering FPS. Movies are shot for the big screen at 24FPS....

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Video compression is not a concern, I have twin 10 TB WB Purple Drives and very little activity up here.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In that case, go with H264 and no smart codec. A lot find that provides the best video quality. Almost all of my cameras I have tried both and didn't see the big storage savings touted (mine was literally a few minutes difference) and I felt like H264 looked better.

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What I am running.
My NVR is: NVR5216-16P-I
8 Cameras: IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E
2 PTZs: SD6AL433XA-HNR Laser

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
So you have 2 ptz’s. This video skipping isn’t happening with the first one right?

My gut is it’s a distance issue or cable issue with this 2nd camera. But there are so many details we don’t know that it’s hard to say. Hopefully turning off h.265 and smart codec it will fix it.

Last edited:

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
BigRedFish: Not sure about the first PTZ since I haven't tried posting any videos with it since it was first installed, may try tomorrow. The second PTZ on live view watching through Smart PSS seems flawless and worked well on Playback at first but changed the night before and much worse last night could be we had Smart PSS running at the same time to inform the person outside which way to step to stay on the pavement. The second PTZ is alone on a Nano connection that seems to be working perfectly but I haven't posted any daylight videos, also may try that tomorrow to test and see.

The rain has gotten heavy tonight and will be for some time so I will not be testing, sorry, I was really looking forward to it. We're really close and I appreciate everyone's patience and suggestions to get this dialed in. Thank you.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@Captain_B if you want me to take a look at the cam and NVR just drop me an updated DM and I can look to connect remotely and see what's going on + assist in dialing in if you like. I do not suspect the 5216 being the cause of the skips. Do you have the ability to install an SD card as well ? If so then Samsung Endurance Pro are my recommendation, this will serve 2 purposes, 1) always give you a backup should you have any issues with NVR etc and 2) allow us to narrow down route cause of the frame skip. Could be a number of things hence recommending jumping on your system. Let me know. Happy to help