Seeking some guidance choosing first home camera setup

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I gotta say that AI in cameras can be a good solution for sure, but for someone chasing the latest and greatest AI in a camera this could be a faulty approach in my opinion.
New cameras come out every year. Your cameras will be left on the technical spec roadside in just a few years
AI is very new to the security camera field on the whole. Improvements are constant.

Please note that after reading this thread I may have missed something, but what I read was someone who is:
A: budget concerned but at the same time
B: wants the best AI available.
But trying to buy the best AI in a camera means you will have to possibly replace the camera every 2 years or so - if you want to keep up with AI improvements.

One of the many improvements or refinements is facial recognition

For facial recognition, I agree, it is many years away from being useful.
I tried to use it in my garage to turn on my Sonos player when I entered the garage.
I would stare at the camera forever just to get the music playing.
It does work, I have ideal lighting and camera angle, but like others mentioned the success rate on first hit was about 5%-20%.
It could take about 15-30 seconds for it to finally recognize me and turn the music on. Sometimes I gave up!
The idea was that I would pull into the garage, exit my vehicle and my favorite music would start playing.
Once, my wife was taking out the trash and triggered the music to start - her face is no where in the system.
But overall it never worked very well, especially if I was not within 5 feet of the camera.

I set it up about 5 weeks ago. Now if I want to have the music turn on I have to exit my vehicle, walk over to the camera, make sure I am about 3-4 feet from the cameras, stare at it for about 20-40 seconds. Make sure that I keep moving while staring at the lens and then pray it might work. I have to keep moving since I have it set to run a facial scan every 1.5 seconds. So if you stop moving for very long at all it stops scanning your face. That routine got old.

AI still has many areas that need improvement - it is relatively new to the private security camera field.

DeepStack AI (used by Blue Iris) still thinks my neighborhood cat is a human sometimes at 2am when it crosses my driveway. I get an alert and it wakes both me and my wife up. Blue Iris itself as of this writing is in the middle of switching over to supporting an entirely new AI server for its AI needs.
Note that Blue Iris only supported DeepStack as its default AI for a scant 24 months!! Early adopters to the new AI moved over many months ago making that not even 19 months!
When a major improvement like that comes along for cameras, the only solution will be to purchase a new camera.

I only bring this up so that one can debate the long term versus short term benefits of wanting the best AI and having budget concerns as well.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK looks like you are on the right path now.

Plenty of threads here on why Dahua should update the firmware LOL....but for the moment the most functionality is usually obtained using Internet Explorer. And yes Microsoft abandoned it in favor of Edge, but there are still ways to use it LOL.

isabido

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Whoops I don't know what happened to my previous post but I think you've been able to read it.

In the case of wanting to detect an animal, for example, that climbs on the sofa, you should remove the HUMAN filter, right?
1661612163578.png

I wanted to ask you if it is important to calibrate the IVS? I'm watching some videos on how to do it to understand it better.

1661612231824.png

For IVS to work, it is not necessary to enable SMD 3.0 (which will be this menu, right?)

My intention is to activate it obviously, it's just to know in detail how it works and its possibilities.

1661612315654.png

Thanks in advanced!

isabido

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
By the way, with this option activated, the poor delay that the image has is incredible.
1661612454844.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is correct - if you do not want human or vehicle, then you uncheck that and then add a min size box that equates to just smaller than the object you want to trigger on.

Yes, when using Smart Plan and IVS, you leave motion detection and Smart Motion Detection off.

I always start my cameras without doing the Global Config/Calibration and then do it if I am getting false triggers. I try to set mine up for the optimal field of view, but if you have it too high for example, then you might need to do the calibration.

IP cameras are always going to have a lag. Especially if they are going thru a router. And the tighter the field of view (like you are playing with) means the camera needs more time to identify the object and run the algorithm, so that can add a smidge delay as well.

isabido

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just fyi, I've unwatched this thread.
I have a proper thread of my own now.
I'm sorry Ethernaught, I didn't mean to upset you like this. If necessary, I delete all the messages and move it to another post where we can share this matter.

My English is very bad, I'm really sorry

Ethernaught

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm sorry Ethernaught, I didn't mean to upset you like this. If necessary, I delete all the messages and move it to another post where we can share this matter.

My English is very bad, I'm really sorry
No no no! It's ok, my friend.
I just made a proper thread for my issue that's all. This was just my introduction thread. It's ok.

ps: Your English is good, better than some native English speakers. Haha.

Ethernaught

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Right, my bad:

isabido

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@wittaj It has me crazy again, the IVS recognizes the event and fires the deterrence led. But the snapshot is not registered.

It is also happening to me that after making changes to the IVS rules, I have to deactivate and re-activate the Smart Plant to make it work again.

1661618540116.png

1661618611764.png1661618561107.png
1661618825752.png

isabido

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Right now I have this scene, and the 3 rules work correctly, the entry one, sit on the sofa and remove the cushion.

But none of the events are recorded as a snapshot.

1661619062008.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need an SD card in the camera for it to record the video or snapshot. Then you need to go to playback and switch it to show the snapshots

Yep, when you use any browser other than Internet Explorer, you can get goofy things like you are experiencing with the Smart Plan. Heck even using chrome could be why you aren't seeing the snapshots.

isabido

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Obviously I have an SD card installed!!

I was recording correctly, the motion detection. But I formatted to get everything "clean" and see the IVS events, and it doesn't do it correctly.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We have to state the obvious here sometimes LOL. Many people have come here thinking these cameras have memory LOL.

Post your playback screenshots.

Also try the browser Pale Moon if you do not have access to Explorer. Chrome can be problematic for some cameras.

isabido

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am using Internet Explorer. I don't think it's a browser problem now, if you look at the SD storage it doesn't increase even though it's detecting events.

It's strange he was hours before registering the movements. And I could review the snapshots perfectly.

1661620068326.png

1661620216130.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting. Mine all look like this:

1661620690472.png

Does the pulldown under time where it says general, event, alarm, etc. have a dropdown that is just jpg?

isabido

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Okkkkk, I thought snapshots were short clips (video) of the event! And they are still images!

That if most of the time when going through the Rule the photo does not capture the moment.

On the other hand, I have had video CLIPS before the IVS events, maybe? Now I can't get them to record.

1661620967652.png
1661620924543.png

isabido

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Excuse my newbie questions! I have already managed to register the event as a video CLIP.

The problem is the same as in the case of the snapshot, it does not record the action of the moment in time.

In Reolink, it seems that it was always recording a small buffer, so that in case of triggering an event, it could record to the SD just the moments before the action.

1661621444021.png

isabido

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is something that you surely already know, here is a sample of how the video has not been recorded when I have removed the CUSHION from the sofa. You can see how the intrusion LED blinks and how I put it back in its location.