Send Pushover notifications with pictures and hyperlinks

RevJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok Couple of questions. I can make it pushover aspect work from command line. Are you setting your notifications under alerts tab or the trigger tab under immediate actions? Is there a trick to testing the macro options in Blue Iris itself? Also from I can tell you replace the &CAM &Memo info with your your verbiage? I was trying to confirm that the options in the BI are using: @C:\BlueIris\Alerts\&ALERT_PATH. I assume "&ALERT_PATH" is the jpg image of the current snapshot. I also wondered if I using deepstack do I have to mention required AI objects? My sms setup only alerted on confirmed deepstack items.

My strings below works in cli, when I replace the macros with the required api info and alert_path with a file name. but I have yet to get any notifications from BI with this string.

-s --form-string "token=%996" --form-string "user=%997" --form-string "message=<b>&CAM</b> &MEMO" -F "attachment=@C:\BlueIris\Alerts\&ALERT_PATH"

RevJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh I forgot to ask is there away to make it with use a group of camera snaps like in sms when one of the group trigger?

RevJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok Couple of questions. I can make it pushover aspect work from command line. Are you setting your notifications under alerts tab or the trigger tab under immediate actions? Is there a trick to testing the macro options in Blue Iris itself? Also from I can tell you replace the &CAM &Memo info with your your verbiage? I was trying to confirm that the options in the BI are using: @C:\BlueIris\Alerts\&ALERT_PATH. I assume "&ALERT_PATH" is the jpg image of the current snapshot. I also wondered if I using deepstack do I have to mention required AI objects? My sms setup only alerted on confirmed deepstack items.

My strings below works in cli, when I replace the macros with the required api info and alert_path with a file name. but I have yet to get any notifications from BI with this string.

-s --form-string "token=%996" --form-string "user=%997" --form-string "message=<b>&CAM</b> &MEMO" -F "attachment=@C:\BlueIris\Alerts\&ALERT_PATH"
Ok I guess I missed read something on the first page of this thread, so this test function for this type of setup won't work. So now my issue is what am I doing wrong in BI to make it alert. I going to test using the msgbox mentioned in that post but I got lost on the camera preset it make reference to for testing your string, I need referred to as preset.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Are you setting your notifications under alerts tab or the trigger tab under immediate actions?
Alerts tab > On Alerts…

Is there a trick to testing the macro options in Blue Iris itself?
Yes. See the prerequisite requirement about the Blue Iris service account and provided links in the “Debugging” section in post #1 in this thread.

Also from I can tell you replace the &CAM &Memo info with your your verbiage?
Yes, you may use any text you desire. Including HTML markup.
HTML markup requires argument --form-string "html=1"

I assume "&ALERT_PATH" is the jpg image of the current snapshot.
This is the path to the most recent alert image on the camera.
Note that it must be saved via the record tab, or via the “Burn label mark-up…” checkbox on the Trigger tab > AI dialog.

I also wondered if I using deepstack do I have to mention required AI objects? My sms setup only alerted on confirmed deepstack items.
No.

is there away to make it with use a group of camera snaps like in sms when one of the group trigger?
No. Single camera alert images only.

I going to test using the msgbox mentioned in that post but I got lost on the camera preset it make reference to for testing your string, I need referred to as preset.
Create the “run a program” action as follows…
Camera settings > PTZ/Control tab > Edit presets > Select unused preset > On call…

Last edited:

RevJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Alerts tab > On Alerts…

Yes. See the prerequisite requirement about the Blue Iris service account and provided links in the “Debugging” section in post #1 in this thread.

Note that it must be saved via the record tab, or via the “Burn label mark-up…” checkbox on the Trigger tab > AI dialog.

No.

Camera settings > PTZ/Control tab > Edit presets > Select unused preset > On call…

Well as it turned out the alerts were working today, for the most parts, I thought I choose my busiest camera but I guess not, The only issue I noticed is sometimes the pushover alert comes without a pic, even though it indicates there should be one.

RevJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Alerts tab > On Alerts…

No.

Yeah I have the run as service setup up correctly, and I use the burn image option under AI.

RevJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did anyone notice a change in their amount of notifications after switching to pushover. I seem to get less now, but I need to double check the ai response times I think I tried to shaved 250ms off them and wonder if that altered the frequency of alerts. I figured since I altered my storage locations for dB, alerts and new to an ssd I might be able to save a few milliseconds. But perhaps I need to wait until I replace my gpu with something newer.

tward392

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Actually, I remember only getting 3,000 per month, but now I'm getting 10,000... Not sure when that changed since I haven't looked for a while.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wohoo thanks to OP for making this post.

I went from not knowing what Pushover was to being fully setup in ~30 minutes.

The only issue I had was sometimes the links would take forever to load or would timeout. I suspect this is due to some issue with NAT Hairpinning/NAT Loopback on my network.

*EDIT: I think this may have actually been related to something cached in google chrome. But either way, all good now. *

Issue is now solved by replacing "&WAN" with "http://<DNSName>:<port>" and setting up split DNS. Now the links load quickly.

I was able to add the Hi-Res and UI3 links to my email alerts as well. I have my Pushover alerts set only when Required AI Objects is a Person, Cat, or Dog and an email alert to fire for any confirmed triggered alert.

My thinking is that I don't want the alert fatigue of getting pushover alerts every time a car passes by... but it is good to have some images (attached via the email alert) sent to my gmail in case of emergency. ie a car crashes into my house and blows away my entire home, hopefully the email alert would have sent by then. A farfetched scenario but it could happen I suppose.

Last edited:

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for this! I've been using E-Mail for this but its too slow. Question for you, I don't need any HTML. I just edited the title of the alerts to be which camera, and then I just want "Person Detected at 1:00PM" or whenever the alert fired. Any idea how to get the alert time in there? Here is what I have. I want the time just incase the notification is delayed for some reason

Code:
curl https://api.pushover.net/1/messages.json -s --form-string "token=f" --form-string "user=f" --form-string "message=Person Detected at %X" --form-string "title=Bedroom Window" --form-string "device=Device" -F "attachment=@E:\Alerts\FRLEFTDS.20220914_131115.0.130-1.0.0.jpg"
Also a note, my Blue Iris box is running Server 2019, for whatever reason curl would not connect to pushover. I had to download curl manually and call it, then it worked (Despite 2019 having curl out the box!)

Perplexed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just wanted to say thank you. I was really trying to avoid punching a hole in my firewall (I hate port forwarding) for Blue Iris to get notifications of triggers when I'm not home. I have the ability to VPN into my home network, but that's a bit of a pain in the butt to use constantly.

This worked GREAT for getting motion notifications. Now I can get alerts when I'm not on my home network/vpn. If the alert is concerning, I can simply VPN in at that point and use the iOS app to get further details.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with missing notifications? I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to log and retry ones that fail to go through

99% of the time they work, but sometimes Pushover won't notify for one. I can confirm it's not a BI issue, as for most of these I have E-Mail + Pushover. So I can see the email come through, but not a Pushover

RevJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with missing notifications? I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to log and retry ones that fail to go through

99% of the time they work, but sometimes Pushover won't notify for one. I can confirm it's not a BI issue, as for most of these I have E-Mail + Pushover. So I can see the email come through, but not a Pushover
What I have found is that if you have bad or week service I don't always get the image in the push. But I have not noticed any missing alerts.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
You can also send custom messages directly to the Blue Iris logfile.

Example… note the highlighted entry.
1663696944535.jpeg

To do this you need to use the following HTTP interface command…
1663694220144.jpeg

Here I’ve added this HTTP Interface command to the action set on the Alerts tab.
Note that it follows the pushover curl command action, and ’write to file’ action (see item 2 in the Debugging section of post #1 in this thread).

1663694257230.jpeg

The code for the URL box is
%008/admin?log=pushover%%20notification%%20attempted:%%20&CAM%%20[&MEMO]&level=0

Feel free to customize the message as you like, with the caveats in Notes #1 & #2 below.

NOTES:
1. Because the code is a URL, it cannot contain spaces, so be sure to use %20. Better yet, use %%20 (as shown), just in case you define a Blue Iris macro %20. The double %% will insert a literal percent mark and prevent expanding a macro.
2. Be sure to use the &CAM macro in the message. As shown in the 1st screenshot above, BI logfile entry will always show the 'object' column entry as 'External'.
3. The %008 macro Is necessary because the &LAN and &WAN macros already contain the ‘http://‘ substring. Using these macros will cause the action to fail.
4. Depending on how you have configured your Blue Iris web server (i.e., if ‘Use secure session keys…’ is unchecked), you may need to to add &user=username&pw=password to the code in the URL box.

Last edited:

RevJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So if i understand you correctly this just adds a log entry for each pushover notice along with a status of the push?

Correction I missed that you were doing a new action.