Send Pushover notifications with pictures and hyperlinks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was testing through the command line, that is how I discovered the error. I never receive the notification, unless I use an image that is smaller then 2.5MB. The Dahua cam I am using is an 8MP (IPC-Color4K-T)
My 8MP cams work fine. Are you having the alert save to database only or Hi-res JPEG?

1673214691411.png

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I was testing through the command line, that is how I discovered the error. I never receive the notification, unless I use an image that is smaller then 2.5MB. The Dahua cam I am using is an 8MP (IPC-Color4K-T)
Thanks.
This is a good heads up for 8MP camera users.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Bump up the bitrate of the substream. Makes mine very passable to determine if it is something I need to be concerned with.

FWIW - My 8MP cams are the 4K/X and 4K/T

raidflex

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Bump up the bitrate of the substream. Makes mine very passable to determine if it is something I need to be concerned with.

FWIW - My 8MP cams are the 4K/X and 4K/T
What bitrate did you use for the sub stream?

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
The alert image displayed in the Pushover notification must be a file on the filesystem. And it must exist in the folder specified by this argument.
-F "attachment=@D:\BlueIris\Alerts\&ALERT_PATH"

How is alert image file created if not by using the 'Add to alerts list' option 'Hi-Res JPEG files'?

Last edited:

raidflex

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The alert image displayed in the Pushover notification must be a file on the filesystem. And it must exist in the folder specified by this argument.
-F "attachment=@D:\BlueIris\Alerts\&ALERT_PATH"

How is this file created if not by using the 'Add to alerts list' option 'Hi-Res JPEG files'?
Not sure but a JPG is created if I use the database option as well in the same folder.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since I am using the camera AI for the alerts, but I wanted BI motion to capture other motion, I found that if the camera triggered for other motion first, then received the ONVIF trigger, it wouldn't send an alert.

So I made a clone camera that only triggers on ONVIF and I only run substream on it and that is the one that triggers the Push. 1024 or 2048 bitrate can give a decent image, especially for a mobile device.

raidflex

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's probably because you have enabled "Burn label mark-up" enabled in the Trigger > AI dialog.
Yes I do have this enabled, so I should turn it off since I am not using HI-Res JPG correct?

Since I am using the camera AI for the alerts, but I wanted BI motion to capture other motion, I found that if the camera triggered for other motion first, then received the ONVIF trigger, it wouldn't send an alert.

So I made a clone camera that only triggers on ONVIF and I only run substream on it and that is the one that triggers the Push. 1024 or 2048 bitrate can give a decent image, especially for a mobile device.
Its too bad you cannot control the JPG size with HI-Res. I am only use 768 bitrate for sub, so I will increase this.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yes I do have this enabled, so I should turn it off since I am not using HI-Res JPG correct?
Your call.
I leave it enabled because I want to be able to inspect the mark-up labels using the 'Hi-Res' link my Pushover notification messages.
--form-string "message=<b>&CAM</b> &MEMO <a href='&WAN/alerts/&ALERT_DB?fulljpeg'>Hi-Res</a> <a href='&WAN/ui3.htm?rec=&ALERT_DB'>UI3</a>"

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ok, I've just learned something new.

Now I understand how Pushover notifications can successfully send an image using -F "attachment=@D:\BlueIris\Alerts\&ALERT_PATH" even if you are not saving Hi-res images or AI mark-up images.

It is because Blue Iris creates a temporary *.jpg file in the Alerts folder.
EDIT (2/22/2023): I was running v5.6.9.8 when I performed this testing. This feature appears to be MIA in v5.7.0.4 (see post #300).
EDIT (4/19/2023): Confirmed that the temp file is still being created (BI v5.7.4.2)... for an example, see
this post.

Screenshots from my testing...

Using these Trigger tab settings:
trigger tab.png trigger tab - ai.png

Blue iris does these two things when triggered...

1. Creates a temporary file named 'temp_{cam}.jpg' in the Alerts folder

alerts folder #1.png

2. Assigns macro &ALERT_PATH the name of the temporary file.

alert macros - FD.png

(obtained via my msg.exe trick)

EDIT (2/8/23): CAVEAT - Please be aware that these temp files are ephermeral. They will be replaced by the next trigger's image.
A consequence of this is if you later use a hyperlink in your Pushover message to view the Hi-Res image, it may show a newer image.

Last edited:

raidflex

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So the alert images are saving as large images again even though I have the "database only" option selected, and I am not reciving Pushover notifications.

I can see the AI getting triggered as well, so not sure what is going on as it was working fine for a while and just stopped.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
So the alert images are saving as large images again even though I have the "database only" option selected, and I am not reciving Pushover notifications.

I can see the AI getting triggered as well, so not sure what is going on as it was working fine for a while and just stopped.
Have you enabled AI markup images? If so, try disabling.

raidflex

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have you enabled AI markup images? If so, try disabling.
You referring to the burn AI Markup?

Edit: Yeah that did the trick, thanks. I still wish there was a way to get a clearer image, its pretty blurry due to the low quality. There really should be an option to resize the JPG.

Last edited:

rdxny

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know this has been asked, but I still cannot figure out the attachments/alerts in Pushover.
deleting "-F "attachment=@d:\Alerts\&ALERT_PATH", I can get pushover working.
But adding it back results in "-F "attachment=@D:\Alerts\fnf"
There are lots of jpgs in the d:\alerts folder, so why does this not work?

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I know this has been asked, but I still cannot figure out the attachments/alerts in Pushover.
deleting "-F "attachment=@d:\Alerts\&ALERT_PATH", I can get pushover working.
But adding it back results in "-F "attachment=@D:\Alerts\fnf"
There are lots of jpgs in the d:\alerts folder, so why does this not work?
1. Try the steps in the “Debugging” section in the original post.
2. If the macros are fully resolving, then make sure the *.jpg file actually exists… To test existence: Copy the filespec to the clipboard, hit the Windows key, type Ctrl-V, then hit the Enter key. If the files exists, Windows will open it in the default viewer.

Last edited: