Setting up NetTime Time Sync Tool on Windows 10

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for this. One thing I would add is where to enable the overlay. I spent a while looking into the camera's interface and wasn't able to figure out how to do it. I enabled an overlay in BlueIris and it seems to be appropriate. All of my others already had the time enabled but one did not. Thank you again. This will come in handy in case someone requires video proof.
In most case's, it's prudent to disable the overlays in BI, and use the overlay from the Cameras.

DavidW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In most case's, it's prudent to disable the overlays in BI, and use the overlay from the Cameras.
I am just saying I wasn't aware of it being disabled in BI or where the control of it was. I assumed in the camera since for some reason it was the only camera without it. Something in the guide may help other people with not much familiarity.

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My apologies for posting to this thread as I do not want to be guilty of hijacking; if I need to start a new thread, please let me know. Please also keep in mind that I’m not an expert with networking, so I’m sure these will be dumb questions.

My home network consists of an EdgeRouter X broken into several VLANs. The BI computer/server sits on network A while all of my cameras sit on network B. In the EdgeRouter, I have firewall rules set to prevent the cameras from accessing the internet. IP addresses in network B also cannot access other devices/addresses in the same network to include the router logon page.

Should I install this tool on my BI computer (network A) and adjust the firewall rules to allow the cameras to access the computer? In doing so, does that not allow the cameras to have access to the internet?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
start another thread.

If the camera traffic is running through the router you have a problem. You may overload the router. BI and the cameras should be on the same network.

Cape Fear

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just bumping on through here, to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. I have been struggling with the Win10 native NTP server function, I think I have it set up correctly but I can't get my cameras to sync. I did a little more digging here on IPCT and found this thread. I installed NetTime and followed the instructions, now everything is working smooth as silk. This place is great!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, Windows has a lot of hidden little features like the NTP server which are not user friendly at all. I was never successful getting it to run either which is why I found NetTime. As a bonus, NetTime keeps your clock in sync much better than Windows does on its own. I've seen computer clocks drift as much as a whole minute when left on Windows defaults.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Originally, the native windows time service was never meant to give you more than 5 minutes of accuracy. It’s probably tied to active directory and Kerberos timeouts. NetTime is definitely the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you have to manually set DST in the Dahua settings each year? If so, seems like a PITA.

Why not just run NetTime on the BI computer, turn off camera time overlay and use BI time overlay. That way DST will be correct year in and year out... or am I missing something?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have to manually set DST in the Dahua settings each year? If so, seems like a PITA.

Why not just run NetTime on the BI computer, turn off camera time overlay and use BI time overlay. That way DST will be correct year in and year out... or am I missing something?
In the U.S., daylight saving time starts on the second Sunday in March and ends on the first Sunday in November, with the time changes taking place at 2:00 a.m. local time.

In the camera, you have the option to set it up like that so that you only have to set it once in the camera and it is done and will do it automatically every year.

Yes you could use the BI overlay, but that does add CPU usage to the computer, albeit probably not as much now with the substreams option, but it is still going to add some overhead.

The biggest reason though is that the attorney and law enforcement members here have said that having BI add the overlay constitutes a manipulation/modification/altering of the video after the fact and in a lawsuit, the defense would claim the video has been altered to try to get it dismissed in court.

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In the U.S., daylight saving time starts on the second Sunday in March and ends on the first Sunday in November, with the time changes taking place at 2:00 a.m. local time.

In the camera, you have the option to set it up like that so that you only have to set it once in the camera and it is done and will do it automatically every year.

Yes you could use the BI overlay, but that does add CPU usage to the computer, albeit probably not as much now with the substreams option, but it is still going to add some overhead.

The biggest reason though is that the attorney and law enforcement members here have said that having BI add the overlay constitutes a manipulation/modification/altering of the video after the fact and in a lawsuit, the defense would claim the video has been altered to try to get it dismissed in court.
Thanks for the clarification. I'll set it up that way.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm setting up another Blue Iris system and was going to refer back to my older BI system for NetTime setup. However, on my older system I cannot get the GUI for NetTime to pop up. I double-click the shortcut to the NetTime app but the GUI never appears. Any ideas?

anotherone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How do I bring up the nettime settings window?
The one that looks like this:
nettime.jpg

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Click on the icon on the taskbar next to the system clock.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been having problems with my Dahua cameras keeping proper time, even with the NTP server configured. California still uses DST. I discovered that I need to mark my time zone as UTC - 8:00 (even when the current time zone is UTC - 07:00) and then check mark the DST option, setting also the start and end dates. It's as if the camera looks most at these settings before looking at the the NTP server.