Setup Help And Opinions?

virtua.jdub

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As I mentioned in the New Member section, I'm new to the IP Cam technology and looking to add some quality cameras for home security.

Based on the what I've read over the past couple days on the IPCAMTALK forums, I've narrowed down the camera technology to the Dahua IPC - HDW5231R-Z Turret cam. The great work from @nayr and @EMPIRETECANDY, and other members' experiences made this decision much easier.

With the cameras decided, it's not clear to me what configuration is best for me. I currently have EZVIZ WIFI Cameras mounted on my garage, which will be replaced. I do not have internet or the ability to run CAT5/6 cable to the garage from where the router (Google Onhub Mesh) is situated. To address this issue, I was planning on running Gigabit Powerline Adaptors to get a stable high speed internet connection to the garage. I would subsequently add a POE Switch (mounted to the ceiling of the garage) to power and connect the Dahua cams. I would then use my Icore3 HTPC which is situated next to my router, to run Blue Iris for recording video content. I'm hoping there is enough horsepower in this machine to run as a server.

The other option may be to get an NVR with POE instead of the switch - however, its not clear to me how I would access and configure the NVR with it mounted to the ceiling - I'm assuming you need a mouse and monitor - or can it be configured remotely from a computer via IP? I was thinking of adding potentially a 4th camera on the other side of the house - nearest the router by connecting it to the router with a POE injector. Would this 4th camera still work with the NVR, even though it wouldn't be connected to one of its ports?

As I live in the Canada, the weather can get quite frigid (-25C - -30C) in the winter time. I need something that will still run in the cold garage. The Dahua cameras I believe are rated for -30C, but I can't speak to the switch or NVR.

The other question I have relates to viewing content and receiving alerts on our mobile devices (Samsung S7 Edge). Are there any apps that interface well with the Dahua Cameras for viewing live and recorded content? This is where the consumer product like EZVIZ or Amcrest are attractive to the general consumer - because they produce apps across multiple platforms and offer cloud storage which is easy to setup with limited configuration.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

J

Setup.png FrontCam.jpg BackCam.jpg

Last edited:

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
that is a similar set up to mine i use power-line adapters that hook up to my dlink 8port gigabit
poe switches i have 4 power lines at the moment to 4 8port poe switches then 3 nvrs in a central location i can then run cameras to different switches then assign there ip numbers to the nvrs there upstairs and my laptop is down stairs using ivms 4200 you can use up to sixteen power line adapters in your network, i have on one nvr 3 4k cameras. and i haven't had any lag issues at all running maximum resolution on every camera 12 cameras working fulltime 6 on the bench in the garage running,i dont have blue iris but fenderman is an expert on that software i use hikvision with all my stuff thats only because what the system started off from you will need a nas storage device but ask fenderman whats the best solution eg how many cameras you will use, h265+ on or 264 on and how long you want to keep the recordings for

virtua.jdub

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your response @marku2 ! I really wasn't sure whether the Powerline adaptor would provide sufficient bandwidth for the cameras - but your response gives me more more confidence with my setup (given how it's a fraction of your sophisticated configuration :) ). As I've firmed up my decision on the camera, I'm currently reading up on what's required for the Blue Iris setup - as I believe this will be the only option to manage my camera installations not near the garage (I guess I could buy 2 NVRs). I'll keep an eye out for @fenderman 's posts. Thanks for the information Mate :)

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
The black box with a red strip is for the wifi ext for my I pod in the garage not for the cameras it was hooked up to the Poe switch and had heaps of lag now through the powerlines it's a game changer

virtua.jdub

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@marku2 thanks for sharing pics. I'll be ordering the Powerlines today, and rest of my gear later this week. Cheers!

virtua.jdub

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@marku2, I forgot to ask - which powerline adaptors are you using? Do you ever need to reset them? I was thinking of buying the TPLINK PA9020P per Wirecutter's review.

deljaso

n3wb
Reaction score
I had not thought of this - I just installed cameras and had them wired to a switch and nvr in a room on my second floor (no common walls with the first floor and I didn't want to cut THAT many holes to get to the first floor)...
My internet and wireless router are on the first floor. I was going to wireless bridge to gain access to the nvr from my computers, but I will try the powerline first! that TPLINK adapter looks great.

virtua.jdub

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@deljaso looks like you're just getting into this game as well. Running wires is not always possible - and at first I was thinking about running a wireless extender as well, but based on what I've read - that ends up being slower than than powerlines since it shares bandwidth with the existing router. In any case, I hope this configuration solves our respective problems. I ordered my cameras (Dahua IPC - HDW5231R-Z Turret) and POE switch from @EMPIRETECANDY last night so hopefully I get the gear soon.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
In Australia there the d-link av2000 gigabit ones
Never had to reset any but one I had plugged into an older surge protection
Board it didn't like that board the red light would come on so removed that board all ok
They hook up as a pair first plug in adapter a then sync b and when you want more plug in c and sync the button on adapter b then if you want another adapter d plug in and sync with c up to 16 in you network look out for the newer smaller ones as these take up the whole space on a twin outlet the newer ones are smaller

deljaso

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, I have been researching on and off for about a year (I tend to lose interest quickly and dragged my feet due to not wanting to rip holes in my walls). Was going to jump last fall, but the 5231 was out of stock at that time. Recently started looking again and pulled the trigger on 5 x 5231's and an nvr, I may add a HFW8231E-Z5 later on. I used this poe+ switch (out of stock now, but was 109) Amazon.com: BV-Tech 16 Port PoE+ Unmanaged Switch + 2 Gigabit Ethernet Uplink – 130W – 802.3at – POE-SW1602A: Computers & Accessories.
I have no complaints, it's all working beautifully. 12 mm is not enough zoom for some spots (my eaves are about 26 ft off the ground), so that's why i might try the Z5 bullets later on.

I was going to just keep the nvr separate from my network, but getting to my hidden room to review footage/events is a bit of a chore and I will end up never looking at it if I don't get it connected to my network, hahahhaa.

Next after that will be some kind of dongle to get the display on my tv (I don't want to have a computer hooked to the tv).

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, I have been researching on and off for about a year (I tend to lose interest quickly and dragged my feet due to not wanting to rip holes in my walls). Was going to jump last fall, but the 5231 was out of stock at that time. Recently started looking again and pulled the trigger on 5 x 5231's and an nvr, I may add a HFW8231E-Z5 later on.

I was going to just keep the nvr separate from my network, but getting to my hidden room to review footage/events is a bit of a chore and I will end up never looking at it if I don't get it connected to my network, hahahhaa.

Next after that will be some kind of dongle to get the display on my tv (I don't want to have a computer hooked to the tv).
They sell hdmi signal senders not sure what's a good one but these days wires are becoming obsolete or less of a pain to run after the home is built

deljaso

n3wb
Reaction score
They sell hdmi signal senders not sure what's a good one but these days wires are becoming obsolete or less of a pain to run after the home is built
Yeah, I wish that I could use something simple like a firestick or chromecast and place the extensions/apps on chrome/ie on the device to bring up the nvr's web interface.

deljaso

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, I wish that I could use something simple like a firestick or chromecast and place the extensions/apps on chrome/ie on the device to bring up the nvr's web interface.

virtua.jdub

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@deljaso if you have a laptop or a network card that supports it, you can probably use MIRACAST/WIDI which is basically wireless HDMI from your computer to the TV.