Should I upgrade my CPU?

Johnman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If using a nas, it is better to write whole complete files to it. Not records or blocks one at a time.

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.
THanks

I have put a 2TB seagate skyhawk HDD in the NVR PC and set BI to write NEW clips to that

I can also format it like you said

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Had a test of this last night. The CPU actually increased a little
are you certain you used the correct slots for the memory? They need to be in slots of matching colors.

Johnman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
are you certain you used the correct slots for the memory? They need to be in slots of matching colors.
Yeh I got 2 blue and 2 white.
2 modules are in blue and 1 in white slots
I just took the one out from the white slot

Johnman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
disable all camera's. then see what CPU is when UI3 is open. enable 1 camera at a time and check status.
Thanks Yeh did that, It naturally decreases but I was able get the cpu down to like 20% with all cameras running using limit decoding when required
but this degraded the performance of live viewing severely
there was like 5 second delay on each motion and the fps was like 1 fps

I disabled limit decoding when required on all cameras and now the live view is now usable but the CPU is running at 50%

which is ok i guess. I would much prefer it to be say no delay at all and a nice 30 fps on all camera but I might need to upgrade CPU for that

I am happy with this for the short term though

Now just trying to fix the Layout problem in UI3.. cant get it to match my console UI layout
I replied in the blue iris post about it

HugChopShop

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Yeh did that, It naturally decreases but I was able get the cpu down to like 20% with all cameras running using limit decoding when required
but this degraded the performance of live viewing severely
there was like 5 second delay on each motion and the fps was like 1 fps

I disabled limit decoding when required on all cameras and now the live view is now usable but the CPU is running at 50%

which is ok i guess. I would much prefer it to be say no delay at all and a nice 30 fps on all camera but I might need to upgrade CPU for that

I am happy with this for the short term though

Now just trying to fix the Layout problem in UI3.. cant get it to match my console UI layout
I replied in the blue iris post about it
I'm also on an older i5 and wondering what it can handle. What changed between the initial problem of grossly overloading the processor and the current situation with sufficient viewing and 50% processor?

Johnman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm also on an older i5 and wondering what it can handle. What changed between the initial problem of grossly overloading the processor and the current situation with sufficient viewing and 50% processor?
I turned off ALL limit decoding when required on all my cameras

it runs the cpu at a higher rate. Mind you it goes up and down between 40 and 60% now

Also originally I was viewing the cameras using UI3 web interface which originally increased the cpu usage

Johnman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Why would you access UI3 from the BI PC? You already have BI running, just view it.

So right now I have 20 cameras, 18 2MP and 2 4MP running at 15FPS for a total of about 11700kB/s and 670 MP/s.

I have an i7-8700 3.2GHz with 32GB DDR4 3000 memory on a micro ATX motherboard. OS, BI and the BI DB is on an 256GB PCI-E drive. One EVGA GTX 1050 Ti graphics card for HA decoding. Video goes to two WD Purple 10TB drives. Snapshots, saved clips and other data goes to a WD Blue 500GB NAND SSD. Recording 24/7 direct-to-disc in BI format. I use UI3 on my office computer to view the BI feed. If need be, I use RDC to connect to the BI server from my office computer. Otherwise I go upstairs and log in to the BI computer.

Having said all of that, the BI CPU runs at about 16% with UI3 running in my office. With both UI3 and an RDC connection it runs about 22%. Memory tends to run flat at about 9GB in use (29%). The GPU runs at about 43%. Since the BI server has two NICs, the camera Ethernet runs about 2Mbps send and 96 Mbps receive. The normal LAN Ethernet runs at about 5 Mbps send and receive. The only things running on this BI PC is BI, Network Time Sync, and an antivirus.

This should give you an idea of what a system runs at.
your tempting me to upgrade

it would be nice to have all 8 cameras running at high res and a smooth fps during live feed.

AMDs are pretty strong and cheaper at the moment. Unsure how BI goes with AMD Ryzen CPUs compared to Intel i9 and i7s though

I also run plex media server on this box but we dont really use it often. and the agent just runs in idle which uses 0%
Are you running Windows server or windows 10 or something?

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Your i5-3570k 3.40Ghz benchmarks just a bit lower than my i5-4590 3.3GHz with 12GB RAM and I run 20 cams with my stats showing an overall 5800kB/s & 555 MP/s at the moment. My CPU has been sitting at ~65% mainly with 3.7G RAM used. I have 2x 4TB Purple surveillance drives for storing files and Windows 10 on a 500GB drive where BI is installed.

Johnman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Your i5-3570k 3.40Ghz benchmarks just a bit lower than my i5-4590 3.3GHz with 12GB RAM and I run 20 cams with my stats showing an overall 5800kB/s & 555 MP/s at the moment. My CPU has been sitting at ~65% mainly with 3.7G RAM used. I have 2x 4TB Purple surveillance drives for storing files and Windows 10 on a 500GB drive where BI is installed.
whats your fps at when you display say 10 cameras at the same time? I have 8 cameras so id like to get an idea what hardware/cpu will perform flawlessy while viewing all 8

Question
How do I check my Kb/s and MP/s like you mention?

Johnman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks. checking it out. Will pick a decent one thats affordable and wait for a deal from ebay. Will have to buy another mobo to though

Intel supports quick sync right so it should perform better for video live streaming. But right now AMD's are kicking ass through raw core performance. I built a video editing computer recently and for the first time ever went AMD Ryzen 3700x. Even without quicksync it still performed better for video editing
Saying that. Do you think this would be the same deal with Blue-Iris ?

Look at this comparison chart

Last edited:

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
whats your fps at when you display say 10 cameras at the same time? I have 8 cameras so id like to get an idea what hardware/cpu will perform flawlessy while viewing all 8

Question
How do I check my Kb/s and MP/s like you mention?
I don't really understand your question about "10 cameras at the same time". I have 20 cams connected to BI and my main console has 17 of those showing all the time using 5800kB/s & 555 MP/s. You can see your stats by clicking on the little icon that looks like a rising stock chart with the little lightning bolt in it. Right beside the question mark icon in the upper left for me. When that window loads, click on the "cameras" tab and after 5 seconds or so at the bottom left your stats will appear.

Your system should easily be handling the 8 cams you have, easily. Go thru the Wiki on CPU optimization - it helped me drop from 97% CPU utilization down to under 75% and saved me from buying a new CPU or even a full system!

Last edited:

Johnman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't really understand your question about "10 cameras at the same time". I have 20 cams connected to BI and my main console has 17 of those showing all the time. You can see your stats by clicking on the little icon that looks like a rising stock chart with the little lightning bolt in it. Right beside the question mark icon in the upper left for me. When that window loads, click on the "cameras" tab and after 5 seconds or so at the bottom left your stats will appear.

Your system should easily be handling the 8 cams you have, easily. Go thru the Wiki on CPU optimization - it helped me drop from 97% CPU utilization down to under 75% and saved me from buying a new CPU or even a full system!
I meant if you disabled 10 of your cameras and just have 10 running what your stats were? As it would give me a rough idea what to expect if I got the same cpu

my cpu is handling it. Id say just. I have already optimized it and although I got the CPU down to 20-30% with all cameras live viewing. The performance was crap. 5 second delay at least when motion is occuring. I turned off "limit decoding when required" and it improved that issue but the CPU is hovering at 60-80%
This is running 8 cams at 15 fps ( max res)
60-80% cpu
2.5GB ram used
4500 Kb/s 450MP/s

Found where to check the MP/s
thanks

It is very important to understand that the number of cameras is irrelevant to blue iris. Its the total fps x resolution. So 10 4k cameras at 20fps will be very different than 10 1080p camreas at 15fps.
Yeh I just worked it out using the forumula listed down the bottom of the choosing hardware wiki

I worked out to have all cameras running at their max resolution at 20 fps ( went the higher performance ) I would be running at 760MP/s

so I was checking out the i7-8700k / i7-9900k

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Wow, the Blue iris performance stats pages are interesting to look through. It looks like Core i5 4th Gen are enough for a starter setup. Was thinkin a Core i7 3rd Gen was Minimum.