Single ridge home corners installing ptz domes without screws!

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
You hang it down from the soffit....don't connect to the siding (or in your case citing).

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
another option (vs PTZ's) might be to use some of those 'double-dome' units like Dahua's IPC-HDBW4231FN-E2-M.
One ethernet, two eyeballs. Tho being domes, you do need make sure they don't get direct sunlight or other lighting that can cause reflections etc...

OR, if installing 2 cams on one ethernet, one can use ethernet splitter/combiners at both ends, like these:
RJ45 Ethernet Cable Combiner/Splitter 1 Pair, 2-in-1 POE Cat6 Cat5e Data Adapter | eBay (not my listing, just an example)
These passive splitter/combiners take advantage of the fact that 100Mb ethernet only uses 4 of the 8 wires.
you don't need gigabit speed (which uses all 8 wires) for any single cam.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Hi @stealthrt

No, not against PTZ.. in fact many here have and like PTZ models, you can see it in the reviews.

The thing issue is that a PTZ is a challenge to have to cover 270 degrees... cheaper and more effective to have 2-3 non-ptz cameras cover the area

I had the same though but in practice there are some issues with the fixed multiple cameras, for example depending on what the use is you can't cover close to the house easily. I use mine to check on the dogs in the back yard and when they are close to the deck in the landscaping they are out of view. I found for my needs a PTZ gave me full coverage.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had the same though but in practice there are some issues with the fixed multiple cameras, for example depending on what the use is you can't cover close to the house easily. I use mine to check on the dogs in the back yard and when they are close to the deck in the landscaping they are out of view. I found for my needs a PTZ gave me full coverage.
Yes,.. ideally you have fixed cameras covering critical views which need watch over 24/7, and augment with a PTZ or 2 for additional needs ( scenic view, animal watching, larger property,... )

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Properly planned system, and laid out cameras, will always trump a PTZ for security.
Study here: Cliff Notes

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I agree, but sometimes for the casual homeowner, installing a PTZ is simpler than planning out multiple fixed cameras
What's the point in even having cameras if you're going to install one that will not be looking in the right place(s)?

How usefull would a dashcam be if it rotates whenever it wants? Get in a wreck and the camera is looking at the passenger seat? Money well spent?

Sent from my new phone. Autocorrect may have changed stuff.

Reaction score
What's the point in even having cameras if you're going to install one that will not be looking in the right place(s)?

How usefull would a dashcam be if it rotates whenever it wants? Get in a wreck and the camera is looking at the passenger seat? Money well spent?

Obviously I am far from an expert, and I see your point, but many systems utilize PTZ cameras. if you need coverage for X fixed views than properly pointed fixed cameras work great. If you need to be able to view areas that make it difficult to setup enough fixed cameras to cover then PTZ camera works better.
In my driveway I have a fixed camera since it covers the area I need, but in my backyard I found a PTZ worked better for me.

Dave

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Obviously I am far from an expert, and I see your point, but many systems utilize PTZ cameras. if you need coverage for X fixed views than properly pointed fixed cameras work great. If you need to be able to view areas that make it difficult to setup enough fixed cameras to cover then PTZ camera works better.
In my driveway I have a fixed camera since it covers the area I need, but in my backyard I found a PTZ worked better for me.

Dave
If you need to be able to view areas that make it difficult to setup enough fixed cameras to cover then PTZ camera works better.

Dave
If you need to view more than 1 area, install more cameras. I work with a company that does cameras on hotels. We commonly remove PTZ cameras to replace with fixed cameras. Why? Because they are never looking in the right place at the right time. We can end up with 32 or 64 cameras on most jobs. Last one we did had either 4 or 5 NVR's.

At my dad's place with have a 16 channel DVR (and will be adding 2 IP cameras to it, as it supports 2 IP cameras as well).

More cameras > PTZ cameras

Reaction score
So are you saying PTZ cameras are not good in any situation? I see alot of people installing them, just curious at this point. I understand the reasoning but are we saying it is always better to install a slew of fixed cameras if needed instead of PTZ?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So are you saying PTZ cameras are not good in any situation? I see alot of people installing them, just curious at this point. I understand the reasoning but are we saying it is always better to install a slew of fixed cameras if needed instead of PTZ?
Hi @SouthsideCigar

Think we've covered in various notes and threads here already, as well as touching on some points in the thread.

Outdoor rated PTZ cameras cost significantly more than non-PT cameras ( even those which are varifocal ).

For the price of one PTZ camera you can get 2-3 non PT(Z) cameras and get more FOV coverage.

If you look at some setups, like those at mall parking lots - they have a combination.

A good PTZ with a good zoom - which is manned, and security personnel are using it to keep an eye on "mobile targets". The non-PTZ cameras work to keep an eye on areas which need watching all the time. ( entrances, exists, doors, intersections, overview.. )

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi @SouthsideCigar

Think we've covered in various notes and threads here already, as well as touching on some points in the thread.

Outdoor rated PTZ cameras cost significantly more than non-PT cameras ( even those which are varifocal ).

For the price of one PTZ camera you can get 2-3 non PT(Z) cameras and get more FOV coverage.

If you look at some setups, like those at mall parking lots - they have a combination.

A good PTZ with a good zoom - which is manned, and security personnel are using it to keep an eye on "mobile targets". The non-PTZ cameras work to keep an eye on areas which need watching all the time. ( entrances, exists, doors, intersections, overview.. )
This is totally accurate.

PTZ cameras are useful for something like loss prevention who will operate the cameras to follow a shoplifter or see if someone put something in their pocket.

In a residential setting, I would almost go as far to say PTZ cameras are useless.

PilotC150

n3wb
Reaction score
@stealthrt, do you have soffits (eaves)? are they vented (tiny holes) ? I hang mine from the soffit/eaves, litterally. Three small holes for the screws and one hole for the cable, all invisible. I use these winged anchor screws. Most soffit pieces are small, you could open one up, push the screw through the camera and the hole, then tight the wing down above the soffit.

View attachment 56716

View attachment 56715
This is exactly how I mounted one of my cameras, and will be mounting a couple others the same way. It worked great and feels really solid.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
My eve has siding with holes for venting every 3 foot or so. I took 2 pieces of 1x4", one cut to the width of the eve, painted them white, screwed them together with stainless screws and ran the screws through the vent holes (about 1/8" holes). The 1x4" on the bottom is just the size of the camera base. When I remove them no extra holes at all. The ethernet cable I slid between the edge piece and the siding. It bends the siding just a bit, but it will go back when you pull the wire out.

Reaction score
I love my PTZ's, i have two and i will be adding one more. They are not used as primary, this one is doing LPR (license plate reading) right now. But during the day i move it all around when i want to. I have other cameras for overview and will be adding more for zoomed in view to catch faces close up. Just get a camera or two when ever you want to add to your system.
IMG_2388.jpg