Smart camera, smart NVR, or both?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah I’ve just not seen a measurable difference with h.265. I suppose if you arr managing hundreds of cams and HD space is a real issue maybe, but I haven’t seen enough disk space savings to offset the negatives in a home environment.

Last edited:

csJosh

n3wb
Reaction score
In the experiment I did today, the H265 clip was about 1/4 the size of the H264 clip (roughly 2100 kb/s vs 8200 kb/s). I'm using VBR with H265.
I just took a closer look at the frames. I can't tell a different between the non-motion areas of both clips.
I do think I can see a slight difference in the motion areas though. As I walk past an object with a lot of detail (eg a bit of messy pavement), it's a bit fuzzier in H265 than H264 for a moment (perhaps till the next I frame?). But then again, I just examined walking by a pile of leaves, and I don't see any fuzziness.

In my setup, when viewing files, I (hardware) transcode from H265->H264, because browsers don't support H265 very well.

At a high level, for my particular setup, I think the usefulness of the recordings is more limited by resolution / image sensor size, then it is by the encoding. I'm replacing the 5442 with the IPC-Color4k-T. I'm curious if I see more of a difference in encodings with the higher rez / bigger image sensor.

csJosh

n3wb
Reaction score
That’s quite a bit more than I saw, running CBR..
Yeah, I could easily believe that the relative performance tradeoff between H265 and H264 varies based on the specific environment, windy-ness, as well as of course the particular camera hardware.

We've unfortunately had a few incidents of crime recently that I caught on camera. One ended up coming out blurrier than it needed to because of poor camera settings (I hadn't set the minimum shutter speed so it was too slow). The other image / video was crisp, but I think was just resolution-limited. I think the urban environment I'm in is challenging, with fairly wide varying depth-of-field and large light contrast both in day and night. I'd ideally have like three cameras in a cluster covering the area (eg one overview, one PTZ, one always zoomed in to a certain area), but I don't want the front of my house looking like a spy facility. Never mind coming up with a deterrence strategy (I was going to post separately about deterrence)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is why we say test it for your field of view. If H265 works, then go for it. Just keep in mind if there are ever any issues, that would be the first thing to change and see if it calms down the VMS system you are using.

Do keep in mind in some scenarios, running VBR could result in the camera not reacting quick enough to get a clean capture for something fast moving. It is why most of us run CBR.

Who cares if it looks like spy facility - maybe it keeps the crime away and if not at least you get good captures.

You are the OP of this thread, so you can talk about deterrence here LOL.

Here are my thoughts on deterrence.

Having a house look like a spy facility is a form of deterrence. The wanna perp will see the cams and simply go to a better less secure home.

Most here find that cameras and motion activated floodlights ends up causing problems with image exposure and are bad for surveillance cameras.. What happens is then the camera is momentarily blinded and you lose the ideal capture when the lights kick on and the camera adjusts from basically no light to a lot of light.

As much as the general public think motion activated lights are a deterrent, they are not. There are enough videos here showing that perps do not flinch when a floodlight turns on. They avoid homes all lit up, so go with floodlights on all night.

Watch this video someone posted and how the floodlight comes on and they don't even flinch. But then the audio comes on and they don't know which way to run LOL.