"Smart Detect" feature of Dahua camera!

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Fastb try altering the shutter speed on the camera itself. I forget which drop down it is but it's above white balance. I believe the 10 seconds refers to it records 10 seconds prior to the alarm.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
@JFire,

Thanks for hints. You say "shutter speed"
My camera is set to 20fps.

Frame rate.jpg

You said the shutter speed would be right above "White Balance"
There is a pull down menu for "Exposure"
exposure.jpg
The 4 pull down choices for "Exposure" are:
- Auto
- Low noise
- Low motion blur
- Manual

JFire, maybe I didn't find the setting you remember?
More to the point, this "Exposure" setting doesn't seem like it will reduce the time to take a snapshot after MD event.

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Re: "Smart Detect" feature of Dahua camera!

@Fastb it's exposure. If you set it to manual or low motion blur a new drop down appears where you can set the shutter speed like a dslr.

So instead of it snapping in 1 second you can set it for fractions of a second etc. Just remember like a dslr the quicker the speed the less light available for the snapshot.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
also dont crank your noise reduction to max, I have mine at like 50%

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
@JFire and @acp_xt mentioned something that caught my attention. Ie: pushing snapshots from the camera, as versus from the NVR. Thanks, that lit the proverbial light bulb over my head!

Background: For the “Smart Detect” feature of “tripwire” on my IPC-HDBW4421E-AS, I couldn’t get an email from my NVR. (or create an alarm to turn on a strobe on the NVR alarm output). However, simple MD events would send emails, sound alarms, turn on strobes, etc.
Arrgh! “Smart Detect” tripwire or intrusion zone wouldn’t alert me with emails, alarms, etc.

The SmartPSS program on a PC handled it, and would play a “tripwire.wav” file or “intrusion.wav” file, and the SmartPSS alarm log contained the event (along with snapshots). Curious…

Today, I configured the IPC-HDBW4421E-AS camera to send the email. That works! I now get emails and snapshots for tripwire events. And the snapshots are taken immediately. I get pics of when I cross the tripwire.

Tentative conclusions:
- “Smart Detect” is a camera feature.
- The Dahua NVR4216 doesn’t currently support “Smart Detect”. (my NVR system version: 3.200.0000.9.R, Build Date: 5/29/2015)
- “Smart Detect” tripwire and intrusion control can send emails (from the camera).
--- (I’m using P2P now, with the cameras exposed to the internet. Later, with port forwarding, I may configure the cameras to send to the internet, but not be “reachablefrom the internet to receive inbound queries)
- Unfortunately, “Smart Detect” still can’t set an NVR alarm (that I’ve found so far). I wanna use the NVR to turn on strobes, horns, etc. Gotta find a way…

I found a manual that was helpful. Do a google search for “Dahua Smart IPC User Manual” and “download.asm.cz”
The Dahua manual provides details on “Smart Detect”
And clears up my terminology confusion, ie: “Smart Detect” (as touted on Dahua camera spec pages) and “SmartIPC” (a term used in SmartPSS).
I’m still not 100% confident that SmartPSS and Dahua cams seamlessly support the capabilities, fwd/bkwd, in/out, compatible, etc of each other.
@nayr and JFire:
Thanks for hints/tips on making simple MD snaphots occur more quickly. I'll look into it!

Thanks everyone!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the only way I can figure you can use smart features with nvr recording is wire the alarm output to an alarm input and use the smart feature to trigger an output, and alarm input to trigger a recording.

now you loose most of your alarm IO as a consequence, you might get lucky and have one input left, and if you have no IO your sol it seems.

I can cope with this on my LPR camera if this is what it takes to get recordings of vehicles crossing a line, with my front door monitor I have a ton of networked IO in the vicinity, just need to get it outside.

on the side of my house where I got a 4MP smart camera coming to replace I am planing on recording 24/7, so getting emails or triggering the local outputs is workable.. I think the strobe on face detect or line cross will be very effective, its a boxed in corner with the only entry in full view, so at night there is no reason anyone should be over there unless your up to no good.. and if a camera starts flashing a strobe once you approach your going to GTFO in a hurry.. I also have no windows on that side of the house, the strobe should be visible from inside bouncing off trees to let us know someone is in our blind spot.

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Fastb how did you exposed the camera to enable the emails?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
@JFire,

I'm building and testing the system at my house. I'll wring it out here, before installing on the construction job site.
So the surveillance system is on my home network.
Diagram attached.
The POE switch is an unmanaged switch. (long story, I originally thought that would be best)
As a result, my surveillance system isn't on it's own subnet. (port 7 of the POE switch connects to my home network)
That's not a problem/issue right now.

So that's your answer re: how I "exposed the camera to enable the emails"
I simply configured the camera with Gmail SMTP server, port #, u/n and p/w, etc.

The camera's email & snapshot travels;
- from camera, thru POE switch, thru a cheap monoprice 8 port switch in my lab/shop, thru my home’s Netgear WNDR3700v4 Wifi router/switch, thru my Arris cable modem, and on to the Comcast cloud.

I don’t think my camera is very secure from the internet. But that’s a feeling, and speaks volumes of my IT ignorance.

I’m using P2P for connecting the NVR to my Android phone. No port forwarding is in place. So I have a little safety…. Ie: the cameras are hard (or impossible) to see from the internet.

Attachments

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

@Fastb i was just playing in my settings of the nvr and somehow my line crossing and intrusion popped on the view screen

I'm not getting emails but I'm seeing it work. Weird.

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@nayr in my nvr it has a switch menu. Different ip and different subnet than the nvr tcp/ip. I'm assuming those are my specific poe ports. In theory can I change the subnet to that of the rest of my network?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score

JFire,
You were changing the "settings of the nvr"
Using the native NVR UI? A browser into the NVR? SmartPSS?

And you saw "line crossing and intrusion popped on the view screen"
The only way I've seen a live screen show a trip wire or intrusion zone was by surfing to the camera itself. Maybe with SmartPSS - but since running SmartPSS on a laptop at my customer's job site isn't an option, I didn't commit that to memory.

If I understand you, that's very encouraging!

I will contact my distributor (A1 Security Cameras) and find out about the NVR f/w. Maybe an upgrade will give me the functionality it appears you have.
May St Patrick's Day luck be with me!

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Fastb well ever since I changed the camera settings I haven't been getting motion detections. So I wanted to see if I could restore through the nvr. And this is what popped up.

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Fastb nvr ui. Smart pss doesn't show the line detection. My uneducated guess is that since the settings were made in camera that the camera would have to generate the email which I was unable to do when I was connected directly to the camera.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
JFire,
My NVR4216 has only 1 RJ45 jack. It's the non-POE model.
So I don't have NVR screens with a switch menu...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
do you guys have a 4k unit or the old (non-4k) model? i wonder if the one I have in the mail will work any differently because its newer

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@nayr I have a different model. I have the small 4108p

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
@nayr,
I have the NVR4216 non-POE model
www . dahuasecurity.com/products/nvr4204420842164232-638.html

www . a1securitycameras.com/dahua-nvr4216.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwq6m3BRCP7IfMq6Oo9gESJACRc0bNO4FycZ-i5R8gDfxxs57QRTV3oTv7sv8Nh2z40yHwfRoCaAPw_wcB

The 4k model was available when I made my purchase in Feb '16. For my job site security application, I didn't think 4K was warranted. Also, the GC really wanted wireless cameras. 4K res over wifi with multiple cams wasn't gonna work well, I thought, and I'd end up transmitting in much lower res than 4K anyway....

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
@nayr, @JFire,

I talked to the distributor, to check if a f/w upgrade for the NVR4216 would get "Smart Detect" working. This is what I learned:

"The reason you're not able to see the “tripwire/intrusion/Object/scene change” is because that NVR unit does not have IVS(Intelligent Video Surveillance) “smart detect” capabilities. The only unit that has this feature will be the 4k units, therefore a Firmware update will not help."

That's curious. The "Smart Detect" functionality is resident in the camera. The camera handles the processing for tripwire, intrusion zone, facial recognition, etc. Surfing to the camera directly shows it in action. "Smart Detect" works great. The NVR just needs to handle the "SD" conclusions from the camera, ie: messages, alarms, etc.

I think my NVR4216 hardware is capable of handling "Smart Detect". The NVR4216 f/w isn't capable. I've been informed I need a NVR4126-4K model. A quick google search that's over $400. My NVR4216 was $195 (it was on sale at the distrubutor)

Nayr, I hope you selected a 4K model.
JFire, it looks like you must have a 4K unit. True? Or did you uncover a workaround?

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Fastb no mine is deffinately not 4k. I think it's just a glitch. Although I did recreate it on my 2nd camera. The weird thing about it is it even showed on playback. With it enabled my MD was not functioning nor did it record when tripped.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just paid $250 shipped for my 4216-4k, its in transit.. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DHAUA-8-16-32CH-1U-4K-Network-Video-Recorder-Latest-Model-with-Onvif-2-4-Support/32302197121.html

I am relieved that it will be supported on my NVR, thats why I bought it was I really thought it would... I seem to recall it not working on the original 4216 model when it first came out, as thats what I originally wanted but decided it wouldn't work for me. Then they released a 4k model with h265 support and support for newer API's so I took a chance.

I think the issue is Dahua has a newer model out, that pretty much means the previous model is in a development hell.. they might fix major bugs but they wont add features or that will just cut into the new model's market penetration.

of course this IVS feature is not listed in any specification sheets, so only vendors would know this.