[Solved] Access IP camera connected (PoE) to NVR

kronosboy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I am trying to access cameras connected to my NVR model DS-7108NI-Q1 with firmware V4.30.005 build 200628.

In the particular I would like to get the snapshot of the camera, but not only that. I would like to access all the function as well.
I also have problem using Chrome, Firefox, Safari on Mac Os, cos the web plugin (I have the WebVideoPlugin_V3.0.6.23) is not working. I cannot see live view, play back, or some config are not loaded correctly.

I am trying to get the snapshot via url: http://<nvr-ip>/ISAPI/Streaming/channels/<channel>/picture

but I get this error:

XML:
<ResponseStatus xmlns="http://www.hikvision.com/ver20/XMLSchema" version="1.0">
<requestURL>/ISAPI/Streaming/channels/101/picture</requestURL>
<statusCode>6</statusCode>
<statusString>Invalid XML Content</statusString>
<subStatusCode>badXmlContent</subStatusCode>
</ResponseStatus>
if I access http://<nvr-ip>/ISAPI/Streaming/channels/<channel>/ I can get the camera info:

XML:
<StreamingChannel xmlns="http://www.hikvision.com/ver20/XMLSchema" version="1.0">
<id>101</id>
<channelName>101</channelName>
<enabled>true</enabled>
<Transport>
<ControlProtocolList>
<ControlProtocol>
<streamingTransport>RTSP</streamingTransport>
</ControlProtocol>
</ControlProtocolList>
</Transport>
<Video>
<enabled>true</enabled>
<videoInputChannelID>1</videoInputChannelID>
<videoCodecType>H.264</videoCodecType>
<videoScanType>progressive</videoScanType>
<videoResolutionWidth>1920</videoResolutionWidth>
<videoResolutionHeight>1080</videoResolutionHeight>
<videoQualityControlType>VBR</videoQualityControlType>
<fixedQuality>60</fixedQuality>
<vbrUpperCap>4096</vbrUpperCap>
<vbrLowerCap>32</vbrLowerCap>
<maxFrameRate>0</maxFrameRate>
<snapShotImageType>JPEG</snapShotImageType>
<SmartCodec>
<enabled>false</enabled>
</SmartCodec>
</Video>
<Audio>
<enabled>true</enabled>
<audioInputChannelID>1</audioInputChannelID>
<audioCompressionType>G.711ulaw</audioCompressionType>
</Audio>
</StreamingChannel>
I couldn't find any updated documentation how to get snapshot via ISAPI.
I also cannot access cameras directly cos they are in the subnet under NVR, is there anyway to set cameras in the same subnet of the router (I have NVR connected to the router via a switch and all cameras connected to NVR)

Any suggestion?

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I also cannot access cameras directly cos they are in the subnet under NVR
I'm not sure about the NVR4.x firmware - but in the 3.4.x versions, if Virtual Host is enabled, you should be able to access the NVR PoE-connected cameras via something like :
http://192.168.1.213:6500n/ISAPI/Streaming/channels/101/picture
where n is the channel number.

kronosboy

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the NVR4.x firmware - but in the 3.4.x versions, if Virtual Host is enabled, you should be able to access the NVR PoE-connected cameras via something like :
http://192.168.1.213:6500n/ISAPI/Streaming/channels/101/picture
where n is the channel number.
I can't find any setting to enable Virtual Host :(

kronosboy

n3wb
Reaction score
In the NVR 3.4.x firmware web GUI, it's in the Network | Advanced settings | Other tab.
In my firmware there isn't. I checked all tabs, even directly on the nvr with a monitor connected to it. No settings about virtual host. And no info how can I get a snapshot from my camera

1610976138868_1.jpg

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
In my firmware there isn't.
Odd - it's not there.
I checked a couple of NVR4.x user manuals - and it's only mentioned as an NVR feature, that's all.
It would be a retrograde step not to be available for directly accessing a camera web GUI for the detailed configuration that the NVR does not handle.
Presumably there isn't the 'Connect' column at the right side of the web GUI Camera Management page?
Sorry - I don't have any other ideas. Nor an NVR4.x device to check.

kronosboy

n3wb
Reaction score
Odd - it's not there.
I checked a couple of NVR4.x user manuals - and it's only mentioned as an NVR feature, that's all.
It would be a retrograde step not to be available for directly accessing a camera web GUI for the detailed configuration that the NVR does not handle.
Presumably there isn't the 'Connect' column at the right side of the web GUI Camera Management page?
Sorry - I don't have any other ideas. Nor an NVR4.x device to check.
There is a Connect column in the Camera Management page, but of course it is empty.
I wrote to help desk of HIK three days ago, but haven't got a reply yet.
disappointed, I can't have full access to my camera. I am a developer I would like to write some custom program to control them along all my IoT devices

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hikvision does not provide support to end users. You will get support from the authorized reseller you purchased the NVR from. if you purchased it from a Chinese internet company you are out of luck on support.

kronosboy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hikvision does not provide support to end users. You will get support from the authorized reseller you purchased the NVR from. if you purchased it from a Chinese internet company you are out of luck on support.
Ok got it, but what makes me angry is the lack and inaccurate official documentation.

kronosboy

n3wb
Reaction score
I have updated to the latest firmware, I noticed some minor changes. These are the options that I have... still can't see anything about virtual server or how I can access the camera.
Now in the camera menu last column instead of "connect" is "join" but I have no idea what is used for.
Any suggestion @alastairstevenson

1611730982038.jpg
1611730980572.jpg'1611730983096.jpg
1611730984141.jpg

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a DS-7616NI-Q2/16P ready to configure, I will try to check it out and report back if I remember. I would be very surprised if there is no "virtual host" option, I have used it for years on all the POE NVRs I set up.

kronosboy

n3wb
Reaction score
DS-7108NI-Q1 with firmware V4.30.060 build 201228 there is no virtual host option, I checked also with Windows 10 and MS Edge.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Delete your "c:\Program Files(x86)\Web Components" folder.

Close all browsers. Launch IE, connect to your NVR, and let it download the plugin. Close IE, install the plugin. Launch IE and connect to your device.

If you still do not have virtual host, I'm out of ideas.

kronosboy

n3wb
Reaction score
I did it, I access it from a Window 10 in virtualbox (new Windows installation, with MS Edge), open Edge connect to nvr, installed plugin, reboot pc, connect to nvr, still no virtual hosts.
The thing different here is the model of the nvr and that in the camera management table instead of the column "connect" there is a column "join" that i don't know what it is used for.
Anyway thanks a lot for the interest. I am hopeless.
I enabled "flow control", do you know what is it used for?

psycowby

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello kronos, try to use IEtab plugin for Chrome. I do all the things with this, everything working flawlessly. My NVR is 4.40.xx and i see Enable Virtual Host option.