Someone talk me out of getting wireless cameras.

goodolick

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am about to move into a 2 story house with little to no attic access. I have had cameras on both of my previous homes, but, they were one stories and running cables was easy.

In order to get cameras mounted in the correct areas at the new house, would require darn near tearing the house apart.

I find that cameras are the best home security devices you can own, and their biggest benefit is they are a deterrent.

Would wireless cameras be better than no cameras at all?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
....Would wireless cameras be better than no cameras at all?
Only if you're "Home Alone". Sorry.....I couldn't resist.

Would using quality PLA (Power Line Adapters) help? The one set I have had for 4 years has been 100 times more dependable than my 2 wireless cams have been.

goodolick

n3wb
Reaction score
Only if you're "Home Alone". Sorry.....I couldn't resist.

Would using quality PLA (Power Line Adapters) help? The one set I have had for 4 years has been 100 times more dependable than my 2 wireless cams have been.
It is a possibility. I wonder if I can get PLAs with POE. Would really like to limit the amount of exposed wire to nil. That being said, I could likely get creative with some electrical splicing and running wires up walls from the existing outlet, so that is a good idea.

I just do not want to pay $20k to have the whole house rewired.

goodolick

n3wb
Reaction score
Before doing anything, get a professional out there for a quote on running cable, it may be difficult for you but not for someone who does this all day long.
This is where I am siding. For the first time in my life, I am moving from the country into the city.
The new house does not have network drops in all the rooms that should require them. Between that and the need for proper camera wiring I am going to get a quote. As long as it is not something stupid like over 5-7k That will be the route I take.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is where I am siding. For the first time in my life, I am moving from the country into the city.
The new house does not have network drops in all the rooms that should require them. Between that and the need for proper camera wiring I am going to get a quote. As long as it is not something stupid like over 5-7k That will be the route I take.
It should not be that expensive...it all depends on what you have to work with...dont call camera guys..call low voltage installers, telephone guys or electricians.

goodolick

n3wb
Reaction score
It should not be that expensive...it all depends on what you have to work with...dont call camera guys..call low voltage installers, telephone guys or electricians.
Thanks.
All I need is the cables pulled. I can do all the terminations, mounting, and clean up myself.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks.
All I need is the cables pulled. I can do all the terminations, mounting, and clean up myself.
I would use CAT-5e cable, solid copper, no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum), CMP-rated jacket.
If any runs over 150 ft., then 23 gauge (not 24) CAT-6 might not be a bad idea because of the POE.

Last edited:

Olddawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't go wireless. I tried that route with some Foscams. I found a good guy that works in the industry during the day on Nextdoor (social app for your neighborhood) that was able to run a couple of drops I didn't want to mess with. He did it for $100 total for both drops. I supplied the Cat5e solid.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am about to move into a 2 story house with little to no attic access. I have had cameras on both of my previous homes, but, they were one stories and running cables was easy.

In order to get cameras mounted in the correct areas at the new house, would require darn near tearing the house apart.

I find that cameras are the best home security devices you can own, and their biggest benefit is they are a deterrent.

Would wireless cameras be better than no cameras at all?
Hi Goodolick,

Is the home on a slab? or do you have a crawl space?

Also, many newer homes have attached garages - so that's often a fairly easy place to start with getting a few cameras up as the dry wall, if any, maybe not finished nicely.