Speedtest

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
View attachment 1270

that was from my office. Tried to find some of the better tests that i did in the last year, but couldn't find them. That was via 2x 100meg connections (2 upstreams) on multiple gig ports. Both were burstable up to port speed.
holy speed!

John Esher

n3wb
Reaction score
I have Verizon FiOS in the suburban Philadelphia area. We pay $55 for 75/75 Mbps. This is from my back porch using my late 2009 MacBook wirelessly from the Apple Airport Extreme router (about 20' horizontally and 20' vertically away). Granted, it's the middle of the day and usage is probably lighter than say, 19:00 to 21:00 hours each night, but I'm happy.

Last edited by a moderator:

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm on the low end. I think my speed can only be beat by someone on dish, dialup or mobile ;)

Our home internet is 3 / .7 meg and costs $40/mo as part of an $80 web + phone bundle.

Seeing some of the speeds and prices listed here, just makes you scratch your head when n times the capacity is offered for the same price or less. To me once again confirming to me that ISP TV Phone provider's practices and prices are structured unfairly.

Nanookofthenorth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I do believe, in time, Google fiber will make the competition compete. We have already seen Charter make a change in favor of the consumer with Charter Spectrum ($29.99 for 60mb) nationwide.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
icerabbit you might want to search for a local wireless internet provider. My town has one available that I wouldn't even know about if I hadn't seen their branded antennas on rooftops. This type of service often is faster than slow ADSL, especially in the upload bandwidth. The downside is that wireless is generally not as reliable as wired internet, and you are probably saving $$ with your web + phone bundle.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure I understand? Was thinking of switching to Cox, 25Mb down, 5 up. Is that better or is that measured too?

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Some you guys got amazing speeds, not that i can complain since a little while we jumped over to a cable tv provider.
we pay about 60 € a month , that should be 75 $ i think for 180/18 Mbit line.
Before this we had DSL 20/1 but we only got the last weeks 8/0.4 mbit and when someone was downloading the internet was unusable.
Wish they put some fiber in the ground, i'd be happy to even give 80 mbit of the download away and put it at the upload side.
But as far i understood because of docsis and other factors this is not quite possible with cable internet.

Attachments

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I got an upgrade, rumor is there going to double our speeds soon :D

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
^^^ speeds ... :love: :love-struck:

Stuck on this, ... :miserable:

PS: Thanks bp for city isp idea. Not offered around these parts.

Certain things may change once the $25 million fiber backbone is rolled out in the state. There once was a lot of media coverage about it, but haven't heard a peep in probably a year or more. And while one would expect such a backbone to maybe follow a center line near the most populate areas; or at least tie into medium populate areas; of course being a rural state they had to do things a bit different and make it three big loops that conveniently avoid the center of the state and areas like let's say the capital! I understand the need for the absolutely underserved areas to get connected and the need for a giant loop around the whole state; but it isn't like 3 / .7 is exactly over-served. Contacted the ISP once. There was absolutely no news with regards to maybe putting some spokes in the wheel, to better serve the people in the middle of a loop.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
F- ? That would be my neighbor ... :nuts:
LOL ... as I'm the last person on the line :headphones:

When I jump in the car and drive a few minutes one can kiss a lot of goodies bye bye like GSM signal. Even on Big Red CDMA has gotten painful. I sometimes try to figure out where there's better service and see if there's been any changes or upgrades, using coverage map. So frustrating to see "searching for network" or "no service" when you're using GPS or try to look something up by the side of the road, check messages. Unfortunately enough, between here and a place we used to frequent on weekends, it is mostly 0.0 down and 0.0 up or failed. Even in the nearby town where the local supermarket is. I did spot a new cell tower in one valley on my last trip, it is just not anywhere close or convenient. On location, we could get reliable better than dialup speed with a mobile hotspot. Ditched the land line phone and a local dialup internet account for that. Well. Data signal went the way of the dodo. Nobody knows why. And iPhones are just dead to data there.

You have to climb on the roof and put your phone on pole to get a few data morsels through 1x. I've been debating about a mobile amplification setup whereby I would hoist an antenna high up into a nearby tree or raise a makeshift antenna pole ... as I've got some projects to do there, and need to have the ability to have emergency communication in/out and check the weather. Talked to the folks at willson but wasn't impressed with the product recommendation. An antenna on the window and the phone in a cradle, while portable and removable, misses the point that the signal is high up off the ground and that I want to carry my phone on me, to answer emergency calls and especially to make one in case of injury or emergency. Does me little good to have the phone plugged in in the kitchen if you're immobile elsewhere.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you got bad weather be sure to engineer your mast well, nothing wrong with DIY but if your antenna is down in a storm its no good for emergencies..

Its not cheap to build a decent repeater setup, http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Electronics-Indoor-Cellular-Booster/dp/B00IWW9AB8/

This is one of my favorite DIY Antenna rigs ive seen: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Tilt-Over_Mast

Sounds like it would be a good investment to setup a nice tower since you get nothing out there; it could help alot.. maby one day fast internet will get close enough you can setup a wireless link to a neighbor further up your line.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Very true with regards inclement weather and needing the phone. Fortunately the area itself is a bit sheltered; and I've got some experience with wind and tying stuff down.

That kit is pretty much what I was looking at. Indeed not inexpensive. Just have to have another chat with the spouse and bite the bullet.

And, that antenna and wiring is absolutely fantastic, Nayr! Saved as a PDF for future reference!

A bit more involving than I want to get into, given the limited and temporary nature of what I want to do. For one thing it'd be single function -- until I figure out maybe I can get radio and TV as well haha -- and then I'd be short term. Maybe a year or two, as we want to move on from that property. Of course could be something that the future owner may like.

That flip up pole certainly goes along with one of the ideas I had of using and securing (wasn't thinking flipping on a hinge point) up a longer pole.

I've got metal pole set in concrete in or adjacent to which I could easily erect a longer sectional PVC one and buckle a few guy wires from the top down via some collar ring to the structure and/or two trees.

But I've got for instance a 24 foot sectional saw which has a big hook below the saw. I could strap the antenna near the top of the first section. Screw in more sections, then hang it off of a small branch or crotch close to the trunk. That's how I keep the saw from hurting anyone and damaging anything while clearing out underfoot what was cut down. Gravity works pretty well keeping that thing in place. Since I wouldn't want to hang my $$$ saw out and about, I figured I could fashion something similar out of conduit, with a hook on the end.

The other thing was if I needed to go higher than 20-24ft to try something similar to raising a flag, using a wire loop into a tree. Create a loop with a weight and buckle to clip the antenna to. Hoist and lower as needed. Bad part would be climbing the tree once to put anchor and line in. My longest ladder gives only about 27ft reach.

But that flip up antenna certainly sparks another idea and is food for thought.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
having basic cell, tv and radio service will surely help sell the house, as opposed to not having it.. Was reading a few weeks ago Google Fiber added aprox $5k to houses value; wonder how much not having any connectivity hurts it.. unless its a hunting cabin or weekend get away.

Ive been looking at rural Oregon vacation property; will pay prime for decent connectivity so i can work from there in the summer break.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good point about a good antenna install and connectivity having some resale value. Having tv, phone and internet plus cell reception - even if somewhat limited cell or broadband - has been a big criteria for any house we lived in. Apart from TV, one of those communications options missing is a serious issue if you have to be reachable by phone and have web access for work related stuff.

Indeed the property I need to work on falls into the cabin/getaway category for relaxing and outdoorsy stuff ( fishing, hiking, hunting, snowmobiling, skiing ... ) It is near the Appalachian Trail :) But can be occupied year round due to good secondary road access. We just haven't been up there much, and regardless whether we decide to sell or not, I need to get up there for a few weekends or a week here and there to tend to a few things.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I used dialup until high school when my parents switched to satellite internet. All things considered this was much better, but high latency and low data caps made it difficult to do a lot of things with it. Satellite speeds have since improved, but latency and data caps are still a problem. For that reason I think I would choose 3 Mbps DSL over satellite, given no other choices. I would put it behind a router with good QoS and the speed would still be good enough for Netflix -- at least one stream at 720p.

Even at college, living in the dorms, I didn't have decent internet access. It was 6 Mbps down and up, but they had the most annoying firewalls that limited the number of connections you could make, in a sad attempt to slow down torrenting. This affected all internet usage of course. Connections would occasionally fail inexplicably, then start working a few minutes later, and continue working as long as the connection was maintained. I wish I had known about (paid) internet tunneling services back then. I would have been all over that.