Stand-alone home security camera recommendaiton

sinjin

n3wb
Reaction score
Background: elderly woman living in apartment without internet/wifi... suspects that people are coming into her apartment when she's away... son would like to have a single stand-alone security camera that triggers on motion with on-board recording... ideally with ability to playback video on his android phone when he visits her (without pulling SD card).

I've had experience with some cameras where initial setup involved the camera itself broadcasting a wifi network and the phone connected to it... but then it would switch to a normal wifi network for operation & viewing from phone.

Anyone aware of a setup like this?

Thanks in advance...

sinjin

n3wb
Reaction score
... and I'm really trying to avoid deploying a router on-site...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Background: elderly woman living in apartment without internet/wifi... suspects that people are coming into her apartment when she's away... son would like to have a single stand-alone security camera that triggers on motion with on-board recording... ideally with ability to playback video on his android phone when he visits her (without pulling SD card).

I've had experience with some cameras where initial setup involved the camera itself broadcasting a wifi network and the phone connected to it... but then it would switch to a normal wifi network for operation & viewing from phone.

Anyone aware of a setup like this?

Thanks in advance...
Welcome Sinjin,

Numerous options for non-cloud camera setups. You probably will have to setup a wifi router to connected via wifi if you do not go the tradition NVR + display route.

Do check out the cliff notes
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
get a hikvision cube rebrand 50 bux...pop an sd card inside... buy a 10 dollar router...done..you will soon realize that trying to run through all that motion detection is going to be a real pain in the ass...get her an alarm.