Starlink satellite internet

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Washington state first responders are using it in the field successfully.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I wonder how Indigenous People will react to this. Perhaps, there will no longer be any more indigenous individual and everyone will be up-to-date with the program :lol:

Runeshire

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm very interested. Where I live there is only one viable option, the local telephone company. Very much like your situation I suspect. Now if you'd asked 4-10 years ago, I was ready to drop my internet provider like a hot rock. But after years of complaining about stability problems they finally switched my phone lines to some that weren't faulty and it has been quite good for about 3 years now. I haven't forgotten though. I would happily subscribe to Starlink even though all the snow in my area would likely make it unreliable in winter. It would at least be a backup connection.

A lot remains unknown about Starlink still. Like what speeds they'll be able to offer, at what prices, whether there will be data caps, how the service and pricing may vary by region (and what that could mean for travelers), how badly the antennas will be affected by snow, etc. I'm also very sensitive to latency, jitter, and packet loss on my internet connection, such that issues most people wouldn't even notice will drive me crazy. It takes a lot to satisfy me, and I hope Starlink and similar services are up to the task.
Starlink user terminals actually have a heater in front of the phased array antennas inside the dish. It looks completely different from other satellite dishes, I encourage you to take a look at some pictures that people have taken who’ve received user terminals so far. From people who already have the user terminal I’ve heard that the heater for snow works great. I’m guessing it’s around 200 watts as someone took its temperature with a laser thermometer and it was around 38-40 degrees and I think the ambient temperature was around 20 if I remember right.

Runeshire

n3wb
Reaction score
early star link satellites are linking back to ground boxes right now. Extra hopping up and then back down, satellite to satellite is in its infancy with few satellites up in the air.
This will dramatically improve, probably next summer, a lot better speeds will be seen. I'm looking forward to it, but I live in fla so it will be a while.
I refuse to do business with comcast, so I have to deal with an at&t copper line, but I went with an out of state isp, so I dont have to deal with any of at&t rules.
I hope there are no caps of any kind. we'll see... rates are 80.00 I believe.. may get cheaper.. this will help fund spacex tremendously. waiting for i.p.o offer ???
Elon Musk has said he has no plans to take SpaceX public until there is a fully self sufficient Mars colony established. Starlink is meant to fund those ambitions.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I despise directv. Their shady business practices were unreal. I was locked into a 2 year price guarantee. Apparently they didn't understand what a guarantee is, as they tried to raise the price up to full retail every 6 months. I will say that I had good luck with the service though, as I do with Dish now. I think it has a lot to do with getting a good tech who spends the time to align the dish perfectly, and mounts it to a very stable structure. Knock on wood.
awful company. I had three units on the two year contract and when I ordered one more they wanted a full reset of two years on everything. When I did cancel they slammed my mailbox for years begging me back (never, ever).

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Looks like there is some competition for Starlink.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd love to get Starlink just because I'm a nerd and I want redundant internet, currently have 1G/1G fiber for $60, can't really complain about that...

Only other options around here are Comcast, which I'd rather not touch with a 300 foot pole

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here also want it because mostly it is satellite. Been tinkering with satellite since the BUD days going to DTV and DISH, FTA when it was available. Still have my Nexus satellite card around.

Mostly for fun and really do not watch much television here. Tapped in to downloading weather images from the NOAA satellite using an RPi. Very easy to do and nice pictures by passing the internet.

Using XFinity today for primary ISP and a CPE LTE modem for backup which is so so. Did have Verizon FIOS when it was first available then dropped them after Frontier took them over (what a joke they are).

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Starlink is now open for preorder in many northern locations.

Looks like there is a $499 equipment charge and will cost $99/month. Very exciting for rural people like me, the idea of getting broadband speeds up and down. I've been fantasizing about making that cancelation call to AT&T, who just raised the price again for my crappy DSL.

I'm just hoping it won't be an issue with my openvpn.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Starlink is now open for preorder in many northern locations.

Looks like there is a $499 equipment charge and will cost $99/month. Very exciting for rural people like me, the idea of getting broadband speeds up and down. I've been fantasizing about making that cancelation call to AT&T, who just raised the price again for my crappy DSL.

Speaking of crappy ATT service. 90-year-old man spends $10,000 on Wall Street Journal ads to shame AT&T

Reaction score
I’m glad to see progress in this space. Having lived rural, solid internet is just cost prohibitive and not worth it for most providers. After years of living with Comcast, finally got fiber at both homes.

I see this being a game changer for people that travel (if the dish is ever small enough to pack along and they sort the mobility problem), and regardless this opens up opportunities in the mountains, or RVing down the road.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
So far in the Starlink Beta, people have gotten an IPv4 address that is behind a NAT where incoming connections are not possible.

IPv6 support is only partly there (for some people?). Apparently they can get an IPv6 address but it stops working after just a few minutes. So obviously more work remains to be done on that. In theory once they get the kinks ironed out, you'll be able to accept incoming connections over IPv6.

I'm a little bit skeptical because a couple years ago I tried to set up access to Blue Iris over someone's Hughesnet connection which appeared to be given only an IPv6 address, and I was unsuccessful and ended up using a NeoRouter tunnel. Perhaps only because I don't really understand how IPv6 routing works yet. I hope to get a starlink kit later this year and be able to learn more through experimentation.

I also don't really know how interconnection is done between ipv4 and ipv6 addresses. Like, if your VPN server is only hosted on a public IPv6 address, how would an IPv4-only client connect to it? I assume it would be unable to. Likewise can an ipv6-only client connect to an ipv4 address? Maybe if the client's internet provider performs the appropriate translation??

Last edited:

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I've signed up, thanks for sharing the pre-order link!

I plan on doing a site-to-site VPN to a VPS I have, which will then give me an IPv4 address I can actually use for incoming connections

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Many moons ago, I was a beta tester for Starband. I realize that it was a completely different animal as it wasn't NEO so the latency was crap, but so much stuff that we took for granted with DLS just didn't work with it. With the massive 6016/768 DSL that I have now, I'd sure welcome Starlink as it would be the only thing I could get that wouldn't cost me my first child (although... ;) )

Reaction score
I see this being a game changer for people that travel
It is not the size of the dish. Right now you can only use it from your registered address. Internet RVers are hoping that will change in the future. A few years ago that is what Starlink had stated. But I doubt it will ever be able to work while actually moving down the road.

I have an in-motion satellite dish on the roof of my RV and it does not work very well while going down the road. And when stationary, it is not that good. I installed a much better dish for a much better experience. You need the Starlink hardware and if they do not supply an in-motion solution, there will be none, unless they allow third party solutions.