Suggestions

Rons86LS1

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok newbie here, I have read the cliff notes and still a little confused. I found this system at Costco and would like to hear your thoughts. it's in my price range as of now. I like the bells and whistles with the cameras, lights ect...
https://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-4K-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-8-4K-Cameras.product.100499244.html

Any help would be fine. I like the NVR route, or should I get a better NVR and just a couple cameras for now and scale up as I can afford to ?

Last edited:

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I went through the same thing when I first got into surveillance for my house. I looked at all the packaged systems and eventually decided to start with a couple of good cameras, poe switch and a dedicated pc off eBay with blu iris. Then added cameras as I could. Much happier with this route. Whatever route you take be it NVR or pc I would do my homework on the cameras, pay for the nicer ones even if it means less of them. And then do homework on the nvr or pc and so on. Especially if you think you are going to get into it as a hobby along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rons86LS1

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for response.
I haven't read up enough on the blue iris as of now. In the long run is one way better than the other?, advantages/ disadvantages. And what about cost wise? How do they compare? I will read up on pc route.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for response.
I haven't read up enough on the blue iris as of now. In the long run is one way better than the other?, advantages/ disadvantages. And what about cost wise? How do they compare? I will read up on pc route.
I’ve only done pc with bi. I like it. You can get a good deal on a used pc if you find the right one for the job. It’s good to be patient. I can’t comment on a nvr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Two things that stick out for me.

1. Image Sensor Type: 4K (8MP), 1/2” CMOS. IMHO you will need a searchlight at night to get a quality picture.
2. I do not see where it is compatible with other brands of cameras. You will be stuck with Lorex.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
-----------------------------------------------------
Lorex is owned by Dahua. The lorex cameras and equipment are a step down from the dahua main brand. The lorex cameras have the functions removed.

Read my notes below as a starting point.

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess
-----------------------------------------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
11) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
12) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
13) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
14) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3

Cameras to look at
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW5231-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
IPC-T5442TM-AS https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/review-oem-4mp-ai-cam-ipc-t5442tm-as-starlight.39203/ - 4MP starlight+

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/review-dahua-ipc-k35a-3mp-cube-camera.37581/#post-373517

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
if you are interested in Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
you can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store.

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/sOuNHLIs
https://www.amazon.com/s?tag=ipctk-20&me=A2ZLH9EASI4NPC&imprToken=Un1IYFBEPuDoU--hPe1bZA&linkCode=w61&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&redirect=true&slotNum=0&ref=as_at

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Rons86LS1

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I am going to try this out first to get started. I believe it will work for my home, if I get the bug I can always upgrade the wiring will be done and for my house it will suck, 1 story very low pitched roof and on a slab. Wish me luck, going have to run wiring at nite. 70 in mornings and mid 90's during day.