Swann CONV16-85806B2FB-US vs Lorex TN81828B8

pclist18

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

New member so please forgive me. I know some bit of cameras, but not much. I am coming from a ZMODO wireless kit at my old home, and looking to do better at the new home.

Currently looking between the two
or

Requirements/wants
Under $1000
NVR (local storage, for at least a few days)
Accessible on Phone off network
8CH
Less false alarms (ZMODO tells me when the sun, clouds, trees move)
Two-Way Audio

I don't mind putting together a system, and a manual setup with Blue Iris and IP cameras, I just am not really sure how to run many wires throughout the house (considering hiring someone to wire the PoE.

Thank you in advance.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

pclist18

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks! is there one software that is rated better than the other? Considering getting both and testing them, though the Swann is at a higher price point but discounted. The Face Detection sounds really nice, but only two spotlight cams (dont really thing its needed if they all have IR/Night vision. The area around the home is decently lit also via street lights.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks! is there one software that is rated better than the other? Considering getting both and testing them, though the Swann is at a higher price point but discounted. The Face Detection sounds really nice, but only two spotlight cams (dont really thing its needed if they all have IR/Night vision. The area around the home is decently lit also via street lights.
face detection is a gimmick. forget it exists.

pclist18

n3wb
Reaction score
face detection is a gimmick. forget it exists.
Sure - I'd believe that, though the Swann seems to have overall better/advanced motion detection whereas the Lorex seems to have basic motion detection? What are your pros/cons vs both?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sure - I'd believe that, though the Swann seems to have overall better/advanced motion detection whereas the Lorex seems to have basic motion detection? What are your pros/cons vs both?
Hard to really compare the 2 without someone taking the time to play with both.

Right now I can not even find more details on the Swann specs.

Ideally someone should pickup both kits and run a comparison and contrast test with them.

pclist18

n3wb
Reaction score
Purchased both - will hopefully be able to provide some insight with a bench test. If anyone has any guidance on what to do and how to best place/test. I'd be happy to make a list and provide my experience.

Anyone able to provide insight for cables to wire throughout the house. Is Cat6 worth it? Types, best place to buy, advise on running and hiding the wires? -Thanks!

Last edited:

pclist18

n3wb
Reaction score
So I received both and have benched test them. Took photos of packaging, connections, cameras, and a few of the views from the monitor. Saving full size screenshots weren't likely or easy on Swann, so I have not yet gotten those. But the rest may show enough. I don't know how they'll show up in one post, so i will separate the pictures/titles for each thread reply.

pclist18

n3wb
Reaction score
How the cameras came packaged:

Swann with the Ethernet cables in each box.
Lorex cameras separate with the cabling.

I liked how Lorex had the Cat5 cables wrapped significantly more. Easier to unwind, and they are printed with CAT5E on them, whereas the Swann has no printing identification at all. Not sure if either of these cables are good or should run Cat6 when I do wire them, but the cabling isn't significantly long for my application (I don't think)

Attachments

pclist18

n3wb
Reaction score
Camera photos. All the Lorex were one. Swann comes with 2 with lights, and the rest not.
Connection comparison: Lorex was already wired up, ready to plug and tighten. Swann requires you to add both ends of the cylinder containment, add the water seal, and then connect. Feel of them, Lorex is significantly better and tighter. You can tell the Lorex is the Grey Cat5 (bottom smaller connection), while Swann is the pure white (top longer connection)

Attachments

pclist18

n3wb
Reaction score
Lorex Startup, view of the camera, saved photo on phone, and saved photo at dusk with a car passing by (Note camera is behind glass double pane gas window, the clarity and ability for the camera to capture is not at its peak here..

Attachments

pclist18

n3wb
Reaction score
Swann startup, view, and saved photo on phone (really low quality as its posted, can't figure how to save full size or any other way) Also a screen grab of how the Swann displays live Human/Vehicle detection (this is something I enjoyed from the Swann)

Otherwise the Swann software is more complicated and not as balanced to navigate and figure things out.

Attachments

pclist18

n3wb
Reaction score
Overall, I am a lot happier with the Lorex, decision made without the price point considered. Lorex cameras, features, quality, weight, build, software interaction, ease of use, and the Lorex app, are light years ahead of the Swann. Especially the mobile app; Swann looks to have made it in a day, square view instead of full size, and playback and event viewing is impossible with speed, even live view is ugly and unclear.

Lorex still needs to resolve some things on their app, and especially the Apple TV app they make. You cant click a whole view, nor can you do anything but Live View, but it is a great feature and app to have.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How the cameras came packaged:

Swann with the Ethernet cables in each box.
Lorex cameras separate with the cabling.

I liked how Lorex had the Cat5 cables wrapped significantly more. Easier to unwind, and they are printed with CAT5E on them, whereas the Swann has no printing identification at all. Not sure if either of these cables are good or should run Cat6 when I do wire them, but the cabling isn't significantly long for my application (I don't think)
Thanks, looks good @pclist18

Can you take a picture of what is printed on the cat5e cables?
Also can you give the length of the cables included and the weight of the cable ( good test if a cable is CCA or using copper wires )

Thank you

pclist18

n3wb
Reaction score
CAT5E UTP TIA/EIA-568B 4PR 24AWG CM (UL) E475339 PATCH CABLE

cant get a weight yet as I dont have a scale. I am considering getting CAT6 and running that. Might have to put two POE switches and run them to a single line. If I can use two rooms that (1. has a router, and 2nd has an ethernet port and run them in there, that might help me from having to run a lot of wires outside)

Attachments

pclist18

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking for some help on the following.

1. Should I run these Cat5e cables that are included, or would I really benefit or have a difference from running Cat6.
2. I am thinking of running them from the exterior down to the crawl space, and running it to the internet room where I want to connect them to.
2a. Will run the ethernet wires in the crawl, likely 4 cameras to 1 POE switch, and the other 4 to another POE switch, and both switches to the router. thoughts ?