Sweet! LTS is releasing an ONVIF compatible doorbell with SD card slot and 940nm IR

Cloudscout

n3wb
Reaction score
I installed that firmware tonight on my LTS. I did it using NVMS7000 instead of fumbling with an SD card. Worked perfectly. Now the web interface works so I can disable the stupid "Camera 01" part of the OSD. Blue Iris is also able to query/config the device via ONVIF now.

Something strange, though... the camera's MAC address changed after the firmware update. Before the update, it started with 00:95:69 which shows up in the MAC lookup database as "LSD Science and Technology Co.,Ltd." Now the MAC address starts with 14:2f:fd which the MAC database reports as "LT SECURITY INC".

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone remember if the password to use to login to the connect app is the same as the camera's password?

lpd82

n3wb
Reaction score
It turns out they updated their app (laview connect) where you can select the sensitivity and area. I've been getting notifications off the whazoo and couldn't figure out why. It appears the setting you make on your NVR or through web interface no longer applies. It looks like it's working well, except the area selection on their box have yuugggeee squaares. The motion detection area is 4x5... yikes. I hope the next release, they at least double it.

lpd82

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone remember if the password to use to login to the connect app is the same as the camera's password?
No - laview is weird. There's a separte password for everything (app phone, nvr, camera, account, app pc). If you didn't change the password when you setup the camera, the default password is admin+the password printed on the camera. EG: adminADYXMX

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is by far the most difficult cam to setup. Holding down the reset button no longer resets (reboot according to the voice) the cam. I need to try starting all over. I was able to access the web interface and had it running on BI fine until the last update 171212, but it looks like I'm the only one so it's something on my end. Tried loading the prior update 171205 and it didn't fix the issue.

In BI, I was able to connect via RSTP using rstp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:554/Streaming/Channels/101, but now it seems the 554 is being removed when I hit apply. SADP is finding the cam okay.

Printed on my cam is a "Verification Code." I dont see a default login or pwd.

lpd82

n3wb
Reaction score
Rebooting is their equivalent of reset. Verification code is the password, however, you must add lowercase "admin" before it. And yes, I agree, this cam is a pain in the ass to setup. I wish skybell had a feature to brighten up the pictures, SKYBELL works really well.

Paul D

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So, I got the LaView version of this today. A little bit of a pain, but overall I was able to get it added to my NVR (also LaView) within an hour. Only issue is my inside doorbell no longer rings when button is pushed. I reset the doorbell once, and it did ring after the reset, but as soon as it was set up, the doorbell no longer rings. I get motion alerts, etc. but I'd still like an old fashioned ding-dong. Anyone else have any tips.

Also how do I update the firmware in the app? I don't see anything. I'm using the LaView Connect app.

Thanks for the help in advance

Paul D

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So, I got the LaView version of this today. A little bit of a pain, but overall I was able to get it added to my NVR (also LaView) within an hour. Only issue is my inside doorbell no longer rings when button is pushed. I reset the doorbell once, and it did ring after the reset, but as soon as it was set up, the doorbell no longer rings. I get motion alerts, etc. but I'd still like an old fashioned ding-dong. Anyone else have any tips.

Also how do I update the firmware in the app? I don't see anything. I'm using the LaView Connect app.

Thanks for the help in advance
Actually I realize that it is not triggering two way communication at all any more. Button press does nothing. Hmm,

lpd82

n3wb
Reaction score
Actually I realize that it is not triggering two way communication at all any more. Button press does nothing. Hmm,
Upgrade to the latest firmware. If not available on the app, you can download it here. Format the sd card, put the file in the card and hold the reset button until it restart. It will take a while to update the firmware.

Paul D

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Upgrade to the latest firmware. If not available on the app, you can download it here. Format the sd card, put the file in the card and hold the reset button until it restart. It will take a while to update the firmware.
Thanks!
Do I have to go through the whole setup again?

Paul D

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Firmware update worked well. Had to reset doorbell, remove it and readd. It had a new MAC address as well.
After updating using the file, there was another update available via the app, which I also applied. I can access just fine via the app, but unable to add to my LaView NVR now.
Should I use OVNIF format now? Laview? Hikvision is not an option on my NVR. I have tried both, but so far unable to figure what is not working correcty. Any NVR tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Paul D

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, so here is my experience so far with the LaView branded doorbell. (I paid $129 during Christmas special)
I have a LaView NVR and camera's already. I am using the LaView Connect App for iOS.

Added using QR codes, just fine. Followed the instructions on the app. Was able to see the video, door bell rang, initiated a "call". Picture Quality was very good. I had a SkyBell HD before, and even though they both say they have 180 degrees of coverage, I am able to see a little more with the LaView doorbell camera than I was with the Skybell.

I did have a couple of problems before upgrading the firmware, and a few different problems after upgrading.

I upgraded using the firmware provided by user lpd82 Dropbox - digicap.dav
I had added the doorbell to my LaView NVR, but after the upgrade the MAC changed and my IP which was staticly assigned from my router by MAC also changed. I changed the Static Map to use the new MAC, but the LaView NVR would not connect any more.

Also, quick note, the door bell was working just fine in the App. The App actually had me update to a newer firmware. I am now on V1.4.62 Build 171212 (I think the download was 17210).

So, previously the doorbell was connected to the NVR using the LaView Protocol. With that I was able to rename it, configure motion detection zones, etc, from the NVR menu. Now I am only able to add the camera as an OVNIF protocol camera. And although it is recording to the NVR, I cannot change name or motion detection zones in the NVR menu any more. I can however do those things if I connect to the IP directly. I am using windows 10, standard IE, it prompted me to load an active X control, which I did, and I had no problems at all. No special tricks, no compatibility mode, etc. Having to configure it two different places is not the end of the world, just annoying. Its not something I'll do often, so I can live with it.

Motion Detection works great, I get alerts on my phone, and the video clips are awesome. By that I mean, with the skybell, I would get a motion alert, look at the video, and see someone walking away. With this when it gets a motion alert, it actually starts the Clip about 5 seconds before motion was detected. So you get the entire thing. To me this is probably the biggest improvement over SkyBell.

I think, but am not 100% sure that the clips are stored on the SD card. I am recording 24x7 to my NVR as well. If I access the doorbell in the app using the Doorbell device, and look at history I see clips only (which is great), if I click on the device via my NVR and look at history I get a full timeline (also great).

I did end up turning the volume off outside, so when someone rings the doorbell, it rings inside for me, but they hear nothing. This is how I had my skybell set up, so for me personally this is not an issue. if they find away to turn off the voice prompts I may turn the speaker back on. Also I do hear a bit of feedback on my audio, but I heard some on my skybell as well. I have bought a new transformer recently, and that made no difference. Not sure what it is, maybe some interference some where.

These last few observations would totally depend on your setup.
1. IR, like so many others, I agree that there is reflection, and its a bit annoying. For me, it's not horrible. I don't have to many things for it to reflect on so its manageable. Also, if my porch light is on, IR does not even turn on, so it's a non issue at this time.
2. Motion. I have a driveway that runs in front of my doorbell, and no trees, bushes, or roads, so the I was able to pick pretty distinct areas for motion detection, and its been great. No false alarms. I left motion sensitivity at its default, and I believe I have not missed anything yet.
3. Picture quality - For me its as good or nearly as good as my SkyBell HD during the day, and pretty close at night.

For me it's great, but I've read enough other reviews to say purchase with caution. Think about where your doorbell will face. The motion detection for me was paramount. Too many false alarms makes it worthless, and not enough detection is just as bad. Also IR reflection, and available light are other things to consider. With the firmware upgrade and the ability to configure with the browser, I would even consider this without a NVR, but with the NVR it's been great. I've only had it running for one day, so I'll report back if it starts having issues.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Paul D If I had enough light at front porch, can I force it to go color at night and thus avoid IR relfection?

Paul D

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Paul D If I had enough light at front porch, can I force it to go color at night and thus avoid IR relfection?
I have a couple lights, just older CFL bulbs, and when they were on, the IR never came on, video was in color. But when I turned them off, the IR kicked in, and stayed on. So as long as the porch lights are on and reasonable power, you "Should" be good.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do they mean new hardware? so a new doorbell is coming? or is this all firmware?
cheers
Gus
That is good news on the wedge and spacers, IR enhancement, MD settings and love the frequents updates they've been pushing out on these video doorbells. Did they happen to hint that IR can be disabled in this enhancement FW v2 update?
To follow up, I updated the Clare Controls doorbell firmware and the only change I see is the updated MAC Address now reflects what is on the inside sticker and that when I press the button at night, the IR lights don't turn off. The IR reflection is still there and no option to turn off the IR, the doorbell still tells everyone that it's not connected to the Clare cloud (I don't have it connected to the internet for now), so I turn down the volume. I asked Clare Controls if the v2.0 doorbell cam is the same hardware and again asked for an option to turn off IR, but they are off till the 8th.

Also, I noticed that it would not stay connected... Found out that my old dlink router is going bad (-50dB to -70dB swing), switched to a spare Zyxel router and got solid connection. Need to spend some time setting up my pfsense system some day.

Last edited:

wariow

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks for the update. I ordered Nelly's version of the doorbell last week and hopefully won't encounter too many troubles. Keep us posted and I'll post my experience when/if I install it. Currently 11 degrees outside!

lpd82

n3wb
Reaction score
My Laview version keeps resetting the detection grid. For some reason, it is replaced by my camera 1 detection grid.

Paul D

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My Laview version keeps resetting the detection grid. For some reason, it is replaced by my camera 1 detection grid.
I was actually going to get on here today to post the same thing. My motion sensor seems to stop working every day or two. Are you setting it up via web interface, or the app, or both?

wariow

n3wb
Reaction score
What happens when somebody pushes the doorbell itself? What does the app do or are the notifications purely based on the motion detection?

Paul D

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What happens when somebody pushes the doorbell itself? What does the app do or are the notifications purely based on the motion detection?
I do get a notification when someone presses the doorbell even when the motion detection is not working.