Sweet! LTS is releasing an ONVIF compatible doorbell with SD card slot and 940nm IR

doctorwizz

n3wb
Reaction score
That surge protection is amazing! Everything should have that.
I have had small surges in the past. In 2012 I had 2 surge events within 6 months. Some things that were not on surge protection got damaged. Like my one of my fridges. Surge protectors blew too. 6 months later, I had everything on surge protectors. And lot of protectors blew. No equipment damaged.
Getting help from the electric company was hard. My friend who is an electrician, got a line tech that he knew to test the transformer. All tested fine OC.
These were not storm related surges.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That surge protection is amazing! Everything should have that.
I have had small surges in the past. In 2012 I had 2 surge events within 6 months. Some things that were not on surge protection got damaged. Like my one of my fridges. Surge protectors blew too. 6 months later, I had everything on surge protectors. And lot of protectors blew. No equipment damaged.
Getting help from the electric company was hard. My friend who is an electrician, got a line tech that he knew to test the transformer. All tested fine OC.
These were not storm related surges.
Sometimes local lines have capacitor banks on the primary that switch in/out capacitors depending on the local Power Factor. A device similar in appearance to a watt-hour meter on the pole measures that PF. The local PF can change based on how customers turn on/off resistive heating devices like electric stoves, ovens, etc. The utility co. wants to keep that PF as close to 100% as possible to make it easier (think cheaper) for them to transport the electricity to their customers.

A defective capacitor bank switch can create HUGE spikes in the line. This happened here a couple of years ago and it would occur mostly in the AM when folks got up and raised their heat (heat pump), took showers (electric hot water heater) and cooked (electric stoves, ovens). It happened less often in the PM. They finally fixed the issue.

doctorwizz

n3wb
Reaction score
Good info thx! My transformer is on the ground. All the utility wiring is under ground. You can see the tranny in this pic by my garage. 01-09 09.40.35.jpg

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When he tested the transformer, he did a load test.
In my case, there was no issue with the xformer as well...issue was the capacitor bank was "chattering" (switching in and out rapidly), placing voltage spikes on the line.

It was supposed to switch once and stay closed until the PF improved and was opened up by the controller. The controller device employs hysteresis in its min-max setpoints so that it doesn't switch in/out rapidly.

Sarat

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been trying to get my LaView doorbell to work correctly. I've upgraded the firmware to Nelly's reset the unit and added to hik-connect. It appears to work ok when I am on the same network. I get notifications when I am out (on both cellular data and wifi), but I can not playback the clip nor can I view live. It fails with Video playback failed, error code 241009. I've tried turning off auto upnp on hikconnect website and manually port forwarding, but that doesn't seem to help either. Any ideas? Thank in advance for any help.

elitef

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This firmware works. I installed it today and everything seems exactly the same as far as web interface and operation. I imagine they fixed "bugs" but no way to tell until (or if ever) there's a release log.

Let me know if anyone else gets a chance to test it out and if it resolves any issues for you.
Is this firmware for the DB1 from Uniden / LTS / LaView / RCA?

doctorwizz

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCT!

If you're using P2P (you scanned a QR code), what's your upload speed on your Internet? You can test on IPCT's Tools right here ==>> Speed Test
That test is very inaccurate for me. The download is way too small to test gigabit connections. So many speed tests are inaccurate for gigabit. I had a hard time finding a accurate test today YMMV
Look at this download graph. The first spikes are from Cox speed test. The second tiny spikes are from ipcamtalk. Not sure where the ipcamtalk server was. Ping was 65ms so it is not close to me.
I can download from usenet at sustained 985mbps.

Last edited:

doctorwizz

n3wb
Reaction score
Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is current live download and upload speed. Before mega bits/s there is kilo bits/s
So after 999.99kbits/s it to goes to 1.00 Mbit/s
You don't have to explain to me how many kilobits are in a megabit and so on....:rolleyes:

My question is this:
In the image, at the bottom, does it indicate your download speed at that moment of testing s "16.86 kilobits per second" ?

doctorwizz

n3wb
Reaction score
You don't have to explain to me how many kilobits are in a megabit and so on....:rolleyes:

My question is this:
In the image, at the bottom, does it indicate your download speed at that moment of testing s "16.86 kilobits per second" ?
No it is not during the speed test. You can see the time I did the speed tests. First one was 922am. The DL number went to over 900 Mbps during that test. UL wen to 40ish
Each vertical line on the graph is one minute.
Those spikes on the graph move to the left. I had to hurry to get a screenshot before that first one disappeared. You can make the graph really wide though and go further back in time.
So, in that graph, you first see the 2 Cox tests, and then the 2 ipcam tests.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No it is not during the speed test. You can see the time I did the speed tests. First one was 922am. The DL number went to over 900 Mbps during that test. UL wen to 40ish
Each vertical line on the graph is one minute.
Those spikes on the graph move to the left. I had to hurry to get a screenshot before that first one disappeared. You can make the graph really wide though and go further back in time.
So, in that graph, you first see the 2 Cox tests, and then the 2 ipcam tests.
Thanks for the clarification. One must admit that it's not the best laid out test results. I think it's reasonable for many who are unfamiliar with it to look at the display at the bottom and think "wow, a 17k download speed is like having dialup".

up-down_wierd.jpg

Reaction score
I've been trying to find a way to integrate this with Home Assistant so that I can have it detect doorbell rings. I came across the Zwave Nexia Doorbell Sensor. I did end up having to upgrade my transformer as the camera started rebooting (even after removing the sensor). I used the Hampton Bay tri-voltage one from Home Depot. It seems that the camera is actually running a little better and I possibly might not need a wifi repeater.

Now if I could just figure out two-way audio with Synology's Surveillance Station.