Test monitor recomendations or advice.

Gwilbo25

n3wb
Reaction score
Help. I just purchased an OnvianTech test monitor from Amazon in the hope I can connect it to my Hikvision IP cameras with a cat5 cable and view the image at the top of the ladder before I commit to the mounting position. The thing is a nightmare to use as it comes with very vague instructions and no customer support line as I think it came from China. Probably my own fault for buying one from amazon anyway. Is there a test monitor someone could recommend, or an app I can use on my iPhone, or has anyone got one of these monitors that could offer help? I'm happy to run a long length of cat5 to a PoE switch that is connected to the LAN if there is an app that can do this?? This the test monitor I bought.
IMG_8880.jpg

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
I've tried a few methods.
- connect a patch cord to the cam and run to a poe switch. The poe switch is connected to the home lan, which also has a WiFi router. Then using my laptop, I can surf in to the cam. The laptop display is lrge, and that helps with aiming the cam. Using the laptop while on a ladder meant I needed a different solution, based on cam location.
- I used gDMSS on my phone. gDMSS using WiFi to reach the local lan (and poe switch, with cable to cam). Using my cell phone is eassier than a laptop when on the ladder.
- For the final check, I'd run in the house, and check on the big screen.

The above methods can be used with a "Test Rig" to check cam locations before you drill holes and permanently mount. And the "Test Rig" lets you check daytime and nightime views. Search for "Test Rig" to see what I mean....

Good luck!
Fastb

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
The biggest problem I've found is glare, especially on a sunny day. I use WiFi to either a tablet or a craptop, depending on the location hazards (dropping things), and use a browser to access the camera directly. Alternately, you could power the camera, temporarily, locally with an appropriate wall wart and ethernet cable directly to the camera. The resolution available on a laptop helps, too.

Last edited:

Gwilbo25

n3wb
Reaction score
I've tried a few methods.
- connect a patch cord to the cam and run to a poe switch. The poe switch is connected to the home lan, which also has a WiFi router. Then using my laptop, I can surf in to the cam. The laptop display is lrge, and that helps with aiming the cam. Using the laptop while on a ladder meant I needed a different solution, based on cam location.
- I used gDMSS on my phone. gDMSS using WiFi to reach the local lan (and poe switch, with cable to cam). Using my cell phone is eassier than a laptop when on the ladder.
- For the final check, I'd run in the house, and check on the big screen.

The above methods can be used with a "Test Rig" to check cam locations before you drill holes and permanently mount. And the "Test Rig" lets you check daytime and nightime views. Search for "Test Rig" to see what I mean....

Good luck!
Fastb
Hi there and thank you so much for your in depth and prompt response.

I think I understand what your saying, but can you explain a bit more about the test rig part please. FYI I only use Hikvision ip cameras and I have a poE switch with me at all times so I can power a camera using a long patch cord at the top of a ladder. I have downloaded iDMSS on my iPhone (there was no such thing as gDMSS in the app store here in UK). What next ??