Thank You from a Security Newbie

GreenChili

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello from a security minded New Mexican!

Thank you all for contributing to this community and security system and camera beginners like me. I'm really grateful that resources and communities like this exist.

I will refrain from asking too many questions until I've reviewed the information available here, but if you have any advice, lessons learned or resources you'd like to share straight away, please let me know! I'd appreciate it very much.

I'm starting to research PoE security camera systems and intend to buy in the next week or two. I was considering this system before I realized that I have a lot to learn if I want to get the most capable system for my hard earned buck. (Amcrest 4K Security Camera System with 4K (8MP) 16-Channel (8-Port PoE) NVR & Eight x 4K (8-Megapixel) IP67 Weatherproof Metal Bullet POE IP Cameras (3840x2160P), Pre-Installed 4TB Hard Drive, NV4116E-IP8M-2496EW8-4TB (White).)

Take care y'all. I've got a lot of reading to do.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

^^^ What Andy said!

Kits generally come with 2.8mm fixed lens cameras. With a 2.8mm lens a subject needs to be less than 15 feet from the camera to get a identification shot that will actually help, police and court situations.

Don't chase megapixels, chase sensor size first then resolution.

Quick guide -

The smaller the lux number the better the low light performance. 0.002 is better than 0.02
The smaller the "F" of the lens the better the low light performance. F1.4 is better than F1.8
The larger the sensor the better the low light performance. 1/1.8" is better (bigger) than 1/2.7"
The higher the megapixels for the same size sensor the worse the low light performance. A 4MP camera with a 1/1.8" sensor will perform better than a 8MP camera with that same 1/1.8" sensor.

1/3" = .333"
1/2.8" = .357" (think a .38 caliber bullet)
1/1.8" = .555" (bigger than a .50 caliber bullet or ball)
1/1.2" = .833" (bigger than a 20mm chain gun round)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a strong appeal to all-in-one kits. These are hard to beat in price, and are easy for newbies because they come with everything you need. It is how I started 11 years ago. The problem is, you get stuck with a low-end recording device, fixed-length cables, and a bunch of wide angle cameras that were not specifically chosen for your mounting positions, field of view, or lighting needs.

You can definitely do better assembling your own system a piece at a time, but just be aware it is likely to cost more.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
To save money do it right the first time.
Test do not guess

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Read Study Plan before spending money
Cameras are for surveillance to get information for after the fact.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) Start with a good variable focus camera, so you test for the correct lens,lighting, camera placement.
4) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
5) Do not use WIFI cameras.
6) Do not use cloud storage
7) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
8) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
9) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
10) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo, Vivint cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
11) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
12) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
13) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
14) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
15) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
16) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator
17) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List
18) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart
19) Camera lens size the bigger number the more range the less FOV. . Which Security Camera Lens Size Should I Buy?
20) verify your camera placement, have a friend wearing a hoodie, ball cap and sunglasses looking down approach the house, can you identify them at night ?
21) DO NOT UPGRADE your NVR or camera unless you absolutely have a problem that needs to be fixed and known what you are doing, if you do you will turn it into a brick !!

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-HDW5442t-ZE .... Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing -- variable focus 2.7 mm-12mm 4 MP Starlight
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+ -- variable 2.7mm-12mm bullet
IPC-B5442E-Z4E .... bullet 8mm-32mm variable focus zoom 4MP
IPC-HFW7442H-Z ..... Review - Dahua IPC-HFW7442H-Z 4MP Ultra AI Varifocal Bullet Camera -- 4 MP variable focus AI
IPC-T2347G-LU ...... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)

GreenChili

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I will be dedicating time to go down the rabbit hole this weekend. I'll be ahead of the game thanks to this info!