The new updated android app has been pushed to the play store

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@looney2ns Where's the fun in that?

For what I use the app for, monitoring the BI machine, it's been working fine. I like the utilitarian looks, who needs bells and whistles? The new version snaps on the screen, way faster than the old one so I'm pretty happy with it. In terms of looking at video, UI3 is a lot more convenient but there is a big difference in resolution with the app being much better, at least to my worn out old eyes.
I get my fill of Beta testing with camera reviews and the BI server its self. :p

Veribk

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I can verify that the stunnel issue still exits in version 3.0.17 of the app. Using a Samsung phone but there were no problems in the previous BI app with stunnel and Samsung.
Another thing, can you change the timestamp "from xx minutes ago" to absolute time? Cannot find any info about that. Or is that a fixed setting in this version?
This is an issue when you are dependant on the exakt date and time on the clip without open it.

I have to agree with others that the design of the app has gone from simple to messy. The functionality may be there but the design is not. This often happens
when the programmer and the designer is the same person (even if that may not be the case here).
However, this can only be better later on....

I can agree with the advice to wait for a more "stable" version. However, most people do not administer their mobile app updates the same way as with e.g. Windows applications.
There is a couple of hundred apps on an average mobile and often not possible to maintain these updates individually.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
The absolute time is an option in the setting in the IOS app which was added after requesting it.

I too wasn’t a big fan of the new look but for me it simply does the job, yes there might be a few clicks extra or options have moved, which incidentally I hated at first but have soon got used to it.

With the IOS app we just kept reporting the issues and Ken was able to feed them back to the developer and roll the fixes out.

For the person who commented about disk usage, does clicking in the disk circle do nothing? On my app it opens up a screen detailing actual usage.

IMG_7825.png

batch

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
well since the update i also cannot login.. i did however notice that on stunnel there is an error :
SSL_accept: ssl/record/rec_layer_s3.c:1543: error:14094416:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:sslv3 alert certificate unknown

i tried searching and did use the : sslVersion = TLSv1.2
but that has not worked either.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just tested v 3.0.17... and forwarded these observations to Support:
1. Missing Geofence radius and notification setup options (in Settings gear icon).
2. Missing 'Use full date/time format' option (in Settings gear icon).
3. No feedback on current playback speed (2x, 4x, 8x..).
4. Alert playback shows black screen when started with green (enabled) speaker icon.
5. Speaker icon behavior erratic. Cannot enable sometimes (on cams that definitely do support sound).

Further testing wrt #1. I was able to fix this b/c the app’s location permission was not transferred with the update. I suggested they disable/gray out the geofence settings INSTEAD of hide them when permissions are lacking.

no3grover

n3wb
Reaction score
I can confirm the stunnel connection issue as I also experienced it. The resolution is to ensure that you are using a valid CA certificate and the Cert Chain is valid and in tact. Android is moving away from using self signed SSL certificates and this was related to my issue. I have tested and validate a resolution using a properly chained CA issued certificate and the connection works using the new app.

batch

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
hate to ask but how and where does one get a CA cert .. i checked cloudflair but you need domain... so it seems that in order to get this to work we have to purchase a cert ?

jhwsfla

n3wb
Reaction score
My phone autoupdated now when i switch to a camera black screen......5.3.98 updated today also.... I see the camera on detail list but when press the camera...

batch

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i dont get it honestly. i setup acert with dynu . assuming i now have to put this into my android phone ?
Not going to lie this is pretty stupid.
I can get to the site via chrome on my phone but not using this app...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is the Android version of the updated Blue Iris app (3.0.17) not capable of communicating over Stunnel? I've been using Stunnel (setup on pfSense) with Blue Iris for a few years now and can still access UI3 (version 140, Blue Iris version: 5.3.9.8) with a web browser using my Stunnel setup. However, the updated Blue Iris app can no longer connect to my Blue Iris system over WAN. I can only connect locally using http and bypassing my Stunnel setup. Is there anyway to resolve this issue on the new app?

Reaction score
hate to ask but how and where does one get a CA cert .. i checked cloudflair but you need domain... so it seems that in order to get this to work we have to purchase a cert ?
I believe you need to generate a CSR and then you can request the CA for the domain you purchased. I generated my CSR using Linux...it's been a minute but this should get you started:

Bash:
openssl req -new -newkey rsa:2048 -nodes -keyout *DOMAIN*.key -out *DOMAIN*.csr
Google that just to double check.

I want to add: I'm using commercially signed certs with Stunnel for Blue Iris and the updated app is still not working. Accessing UI3 over Stunnel with a web browser and the commercially signed certs works great! Something is wrong with the app.

robpur

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had an issue with the new version not working with stunnel as well. This was caused by using a self signed certificate. Dealing with certificates has always been a pain for me, especially the free ones in an environment where they can not automatically renew, so I dumped stunnel and used a different method.

I use Sophos UTM at home as my router/firewall, and I have a dynamically assigned IP address. Sophos supports several dynamic DNS providers and I've been using FreeDNS for years without trouble. Sophos handles reporting IP address changes to FreeDNS so you don't need to run an application on one of your computers for updates. Sophos also handles automatically obtaining and updating free certificates from Let's Encrypt. These two features along with the Webserver Protection feature in Sophos makes for a set-and-forget SSL system for accessing Blue Iris.

There is a free home version of Sophos UTM that contains nearly the full feature set. It can be run on an older computer with at least two network cards, or on a Protectli device that can be purchased from Amazon. I use a free license at home running on a Protectli, but I install official Sophos devices for customers that have the need and don't mind paying the price. For other customers I use pfSense running on a Protectli. I think the same thing can be done with pfSense but you might have to cobble a few things together and I'm sure it would be harder to do than with Sophos unless you are already proficient with pfSense.

Anrothan

n3wb
Reaction score
On Android, you can disable updates for single apps. Google Play Store>Hamburger Icon>My apps & games>Blue Iris (tap on it)>vertical ellipses (three dots)>Uncheck "Enable auto update"

beepbeep

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. Before the update I was using self signed CA from stunnel and tls 1.2 in cfg then after the update it worked in the browser but app wouldn't connect, then I tried a zerossl cert but still doesn't work

Mzda2

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone have an issue with the new app where the alert preview images are no longer provided? Previous version I could drag down on the alert notification, without having to open the BI App, to view the preview image from the alert. With the new app I have to open the app and go to the specific camera to see the alert. Really annoying.

plomaris

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Auto updated on my Galaxy Note 10 + and it works fine. I do not like the new interface, especially on tablets. My Galaxy Tab A kept crashing and I reported to BI Support. They have been very communicative. The latest version does not crash on my Tablet, but it is herky jerky when compared to UI3, and has awful blue bars at the top and bottom which were not there in last year's version. I tried to go back to previous version but coudn't get the APK to install. I will try again.
Also, BI Support wanted to log in to my system to do some testing, but I wasn't comfortable in doing so (and my wife would most certainly flip out) since some of my cameras are indoors and I don't want my privacy violated. I'm gonna try again to get last year's version installed and ensure auto update is off. Fortunately, it is off on my other tablets and they are working fine on the old version.
Not at all happy with the latest release.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Auto updated on my Galaxy Note 10 + and it works fine. I do not like the new interface, especially on tablets. My Galaxy Tab A kept crashing and I reported to BI Support. They have been very communicative. The latest version does not crash on my Tablet, but it is herky jerky when compared to UI3, and has awful blue bars at the top and bottom which were not there in last year's version. I tried to go back to previous version but coudn't get the APK to install. I will try again.
Also, BI Support wanted to log in to my system to do some testing, but I wasn't comfortable in doing so (and my wife would most certainly flip out) since some of my cameras are indoors and I don't want my privacy violated. I'm gonna try again to get last year's version installed and ensure auto update is off. Fortunately, it is off on my other tablets and they are working fine on the old version.
Not at all happy with the latest release.
Setup an account in BI that only includes your outdoor cameras.

doomngloom

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm having the same issue with the rich notification not coming through since the app update. I opened a ticket with support but no response yet. guess they are swamped

doomngloom

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. Before the update I was using self signed CA from stunnel and tls 1.2 in cfg then after the update it worked in the browser but app wouldn't connect, then I tried a zerossl cert but still doesn't work
Make sure to add the cert chain to the stunnel folder. with Zero SSl the ca bundle is needed to be added as well. add the line CAfile = ca_bundle.crt under the cert location for stunnel.conf or it will fail. Then restart stunnel service. That should hopefully get you running