This is really difficult...

123abc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I purchased a house last month which has 6 Hikvision camera's on the property. The person selling had a (Hikvision DS-7608NI-12/8P 8CH IP Network Video Recorder). While the house was on the market, I noticed he had everything working. He took the unit with him, so I purchased an identical unit from Amazon.

The DS-7608NI works. I can see it when using the SADP Tool on my Mac. What's not working are the camera's which are connected to the DS-7608NI via wired ethernet. I don't know what the seller did, and I thought to ask him some questions but I'm having difficulties getting in touch with him.

Under the PoE Settings, it seems the camera's are connected. D2 is disconnected for some reason. When I look under Maintenance > Camera, it seems the camera's are disconnected. I tried everything but I can't seem to activate them. I attached 2 pics.

Any suggestions for a newbie?

Thanks, I'd appreciate any help at this point.

Attachments

petere10

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
First step is to see if you can "see" the cameras. I bet this is a problem with mismatched IP addresses and sub-nets. You need to "find" the addresses of your cameras. If they are ONVIF compatible, there is a device manager you can download here. You may need to download an IP address scanner like this one and find out the default range for Hik cameras (eg 10.10.25.x). If that was the case, you'd scan the range 10.10.25.1 to 10.10.25.255.

It was a bit inconsiderate to remove the box without giving you all the details. Good luck. Others will probably have a better informed answer :)

If you can find the IP addressses, then check with a quick 'ping' (open a command window and type ping X.X.X.X (being the IP address of the camera) and you should see a response from the camera. It will be easy from there

ipOsX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
123abc, you can use third party apps but you already have all the tools you need.

Look for the hidden Network Utility.

And your router config should show your IP range and list all the devices it can see on your network.

123abc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ipOsX, thanks for the info. One thing I noticed is that I can't see any of the camera's listed when using SADP Tool, IP Scanner and a like. Is it necessary to reset the camera's? They were installed pretty high up. I've spent hours trying to figure out the cause.

What exactly am I looking for when using the Network Utility and is there a router config I should be using?

Thanks again.

ipOsX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Which version of SADP Tool? I think the latest is v1.0.0.4 build 20190314 - and you have to hit the Refresh button after it launches.

To access the router config page find its IP address, typically 192.168.1.1, on the front page of your System Preferences/Network settings and then type the number into a browser URL address field. Plenty of stuff to play with in there but I advise restraint. One of the tabs should give you a list of Connected Devices and any active cameras should show up there with their IP addresses.

If it doesn't list any cameras, try deleting them from iVMS-4200 and then reloading them via a refresh. And check the passwords assigned to the cameras by the previous owner.

123abc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey ipOsX, the SADP Tool version is 1.0.0.4. Latest from the Hikvision website. I have clicked on refresh after launching the app, but that still doesn't bring up the cameras.

I'll have to give the router a look.

Regarding the iVMS-4200, I just downloaded the latest version and again it only brings up the Hikvision unit (DS-7608NI-12/8). There's no available cameras. It's the strangest thing. Thanks

123abc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also using my iPhone, I just scanned the QR code in the DS-7608NI (Platform Access) page and it brought up the Hik-Connect app.

On the app it says, New Device 01. I assume this is the DS-7608NI. When I click on the device, it says "No Camera Linked or Camera is Hided). Do you know what that means? Thanks

petere10

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It really does sound like the previous owner has assigned an IP range to the cameras that is "not normal". Assuming that your NVR CAN be seen on the router, it is because it has DHCP set and it is getting it's IP address assigned by the router. This is NOT the case for the cameras. The NVR has (in my case) its own DHCP server and assigns the ip cameras their own IP addresses for another sub-net. This is what you are trying to find out. Go through every setting you can find on the NVR. Take down the easiest camera to access and connect it directly to a port on the NVR and learn from that. You never know what the previous owner did...

123abc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
On the ORBI config page, the IP address is 192.168.1.1. Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Below it it says: Starting IP address: 192.168.1.2, ending IP address: 192.168.1.254

When I click on the Attached Devices tab, all other devices pop up (iPhone, iPad, computers, Hikvision DS-7608NI, etc...) except the 6 cameras.

ipOsX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you have a handy POE switch? If so, try plugging one of the cameras into the switch and connecting the switch directly to your router without involving the NVR. Does the camera show up on your device list?

petere10

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Because the cameras sit BEHIND the NVR. They will not appear with IP addresses inside the 1.2 to 1.254 range. My cameras sit in the sub-net 10.10.x.x

There could also be something wrong with your ethernet cables, like being cut! You need to take down the easiest accessible camera and connect it directly to the NVR

123abc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'll try taking down the lowest camera. I know the seller had it working cause I saw it myself. Problem is he's not approachable or friendly.

123abc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you have a handy POE switch? If so, try plugging one of the cameras into the switch and connecting the switch directly to your router without involving the NVR. Does the camera show up on your device list?
I can get one if you think that'll help.