This is why RING CAMERAS SUCK

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I knew something was fishy about Area 51. Next stop Area 52, where Americans get abducted and stored in data centers. :eek: Don't ask me where I got that from. Its not like I was given hush money :rofl: just kidding

Holy smokes! Ring is now letting Aliens access their cameras to abduct Americans!!!

Jeff Bezos must really be an alien planted here to take over and find ways on "How to serve humands"!!!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL. That is the most brilliant camera malfunction I've seen in a while. It certainly beats the seasonal Hikvision + Quick Sync rainbows that are always afflicting one of my parents' cams every time I log in to their system. (edit: actually, the rainbow corruption I fixed today was from a relatively new Dahua PTZ. I guess Dahua can be affected too and I can fully blame Intel now)

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m probably going to be chastised for this admission but I have a Ring doorbell which for me does what I expect from it, namely to record somebody at my front door and send me an alert in a timely fashion.

I scoured the various threads on doorbells here before deciding to get the Ring Pro as an install and forget device, yes there is an annual fee to pay and it does have its own foibles but once you accept them it’s fine. I don’t expect it to cover much more then my front door which is why I have the CCTV cams installed for that.

Reaction score
I’m probably going to be chastised for this admission but I have a Ring doorbell which for me does what I expect from it, namely to record somebody at my front door and send me an alert in a timely fashion.

I scoured the various threads on doorbells here before deciding to get the Ring Pro as an install and forget device, yes there is an annual fee to pay and it does have its own foibles but once you accept them it’s fine. I don’t expect it to cover much more then my front door which is why I have the CCTV cams installed for that.
You won't see any chastisement from me. Do Ring cameras provide poor video performance at a premium price? Absolutely. But Ring cameras have their place, as do Nest cams, Wyze cams, and many other brands. As long as they are quality devices that are supported by their makers, they are worth consideration. As I tell my neighbors, "Any camera is better than no camera at all." Long ago I learned that most people, regardless of intelligence or education, are absolutely terrified of computers and electronics. Performing the setup for a Dahua or Hikvision camera is beyond their ability. As long as they can install something, they're better off than having nothing.

I would be thrilled if I could just get 20% of the people in my neighborhood to install a couple of Wyze cams pointed at the front and back of their homes. We'd have the ability to backtrack the movements of the various burglars, door checkers, and auto thieves that plague the area. Realistically, the best any of us on this forum can do is build the best systems we can to protect our own homes.