Tool for discovering IP camera with unknown IP address.

okrobie

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 3 HikVision IP cameras (DS-2CD2112-I) and I would like to use the HikVision TFTP tool to reinstall the firmware as I have neither the IP address nor Username/Password. The default authentication doesn't work. The HikVision TFTP app requires the IP address but I don't have it. I thought my router would give it a new one on the correct subnet mask via DHCP but not happening. Any suggestions?

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use wakemeonlan on my WIN10 desktop to scan the local network for IP devices. Works well, does not install on the PC (standalone operation).

It only scans the subnet that the host PC is on. So if your cameras are configured for a different subnet then this is not the solution for you.

- Thomas

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 3 HikVision IP cameras (DS-2CD2112-I) and I would like to use the HikVision TFTP tool to reinstall the firmware as I have neither the IP address nor Username/Password.
Hikvision's SADP tool will find the cameras on the same wiring whatever the IP address range they are using.

The HikVision TFTP app requires the IP address but I don't have it.
No - the IP address used by the camera when probing for the tftp updater during bootup is separate from the normally configured IP address after bootup.
The classic values are 192.0.0.64 used by the camera to probe for the tftp updater on 192.0.0.128
Some later model devices have been set to probe for the tftp updater on 192.168.1.128 from an address in the same range.

Shaggy D

n3wb
Reaction score
In a cmd window issue the command arp -a

You will get a list of all of the IP addresses used
That will work only if the PC has had a recent conversation with the other device, or if a broadcast was sent out by the other device. Right now I have 22 devices on my home LAN, but ARP -a only returns 14 results.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hikvision's SADP tool will find the cameras on the same wiring whatever the IP address range they are using.
And this works with whatever IP address range the camera is using.
And provides lots of useful info such as the firmware version - which may have the very common 'backdoor vulnerability' that allows the admin password to be extracted via the configuration file.

okrobie

n3wb
Reaction score
Spaceman, I think you are right about the problem with my third camera being password related.

These units do not have a reset button.

okrobie

n3wb
Reaction score
SADP_view.jpg
We can see that camera 3 has outdated firmware, but I can't seem to get TFTP to connect. I have also attempted to enable DHCP for the camera without success. and also attempted to install a new password via the HikVision password app. also without success.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
We can see that camera 3 has outdated firmware
Yes indeed, that's about as old as it gets!
I think there is a fair chance that the @bp2008 password reset tool will work for that version.
The tool works via SADP, and needs the exact full serial number, and the start time, from SADP, which then generates the reset code.
Details here :

okrobie

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm trying to run the HikVision TFTP and I read the instructions... TaDaaa:secret:

But I'm having trouble with one of the instructions:
1. Rename the firmware to digcap.dav
2. Put the firmware under the same folder of this TFTP
3. Set the IP of computer as 192.0.0.128
4. Camera's IP can be anyone.
5. Run the tftpserv.exe
6. Power off and power on the DVR/DVS/IPC. The device will search the new firmware and upgrade it automatically.
7. Please wait until TFTP shows "Device [192.0.0.64] system update completed!" It takes about 5 minutes.
8. Close the TFTP before the camera reboots.
9. DVR/DVS/IPC will restart automatically after upgrading.

Yea... I've done it gazillions of times on Spark (Unix), Linux, McIntosh, and earlier versions of Windows, but I'll be darned if I can do it on Windows 10. I imagine that I can go into shell and modify the registry, but I forget how to do that, its been a while.
Can someone help me with instruction 3? Thanks, Jim

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm trying to run the HikVision TFTP and I read the instructions... TaDaaa:secret:

But I'm having trouble with one of the instructions:
1. Rename the firmware to digcap.dav
2. Put the firmware under the same folder of this TFTP
3. Set the IP of computer as 192.0.0.128
4. Camera's IP can be anyone.
5. Run the tftpserv.exe
6. Power off and power on the DVR/DVS/IPC. The device will search the new firmware and upgrade it automatically.
7. Please wait until TFTP shows "Device [192.0.0.64] system update completed!" It takes about 5 minutes.
8. Close the TFTP before the camera reboots.
9. DVR/DVS/IPC will restart automatically after upgrading.

Yea... I've done it gazillions of times on Spark (Unix), Linux, McIntosh, and earlier versions of Windows, but I'll be darned if I can do it on Windows 10. I imagine that I can go into shell and modify the registry, but I forget how to do that, its been a while.
Can someone help me with instruction 3? Thanks, Jim