[tool] [tutorial] Free AI Person Detection for Blue Iris

Reaction score
I installed AI Tool and noticed a couple of possible bugs. When I attempt to change Cool Down to a number other than 0, it reverts to 0. Also, when I try to Enabke/Disable AI it reverts to its previous state.

GentlePumpkin

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I installed AI Tool and noticed a couple of possible bugs. When I attempt to change Cool Down to a number other than 0, it reverts to 0. Also, when I try to Enabke/Disable AI it reverts to its previous state.
Sure you pressed "save" afterwards?

MnM

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You need to press save before going to another tab in AITool

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It may be a little bug that I have found that your experiencing. If you change something in the camera setup and it goes into processing mode before you hit 'save' it changes the details back to the saved profile.

Changing them works ok for me.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Have many cameras do you guys have? I noticed in BI that anything below 6 cameras works really well when these cameras are cloned. I have 8 cameras. I as soon as I clone all of them weird things start to happen.

First of all the * next tot the camera name (my understanding about the * is that it shows when a camera has a clone) moves around a bit after each reboot. At least on 2 cloned camera the * is shows and the rest of the 6 cameras shows the *. And is random - different 2 cloned will have the * after each reboot.

Second - motion detection on cloned cameras will work well EXCEPT for the 2 cloned cameras showing the * If I reboot then the 2 will work well but the next 2 with * will not. I can stand in front of the cloned cameras showing the * for a number of minutes before I get an alert. Looking at the DeppStackAI docker logs shows that the picture is processed under 1s (normally around 800ms) and the alert come to me pretty much instantly AFTER the cloned camera with the * decides to alert.

Do you guys have more than 6 cameras and experience anything like that? Maybe your false positives are about BI and cloned cameras and not about the AI Tool?
Not using this AI tool but do have clones cams and I’m seeing the * move but I thought I had set it all up wrong but was sure I had setup it up so the clones cams had _C added to their name. Like you I’m seeing the * randomly move and motion detection just randomly just stops working.

I’ve logged a call with support for the missing motion clips and alerts but not for the moving clones as at the time I thought I must have set things up wrong.

Last edited:

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have about 20 clones and all are ok.

Where is the * found?

(Only problem is with 4 Panasonic cameras that don't seem to want to clone without the video disappearing on the original. I've not looked properly into that yet. These cameras also have started loosing video every now and then for very brief periods- all together for some reason).

MnM

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you open BI console on your PC and look at each camera window you will see some cameras will have an * next to their names.
This asterix move between the original camera and the cloned camera with every reboot or BI service restart.
Last reboot I had all the original cameras showing the * - perhaps the very forst time I had all the * on the same type of cameras. Problem is the * should show on the cloned cameras! not the original ones.

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks, Some are on the originals and some on the clones on mine as well!

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not using this AI tool but do have clones cams and I’m seeing the * move but I thought I had set it all up wrong but was sure I had setup it up so the clones cams had _C added to their name. Like you I’m seeing the * randomly move and motion detection just randomly just stops working.

I’ve logged a call with support for the missing motion clips and alerts but not for the moving clones as at the time I thought I must have set things up wrong.
Are you sure the alert and motion clips are being saved with the same 'short name' as the camera as otherwise they disappear.

&CAM.%Y%m%d_%H%M%S%t

I have the .&CAM at the end but it seems if you use say Gate.%Y%m%d_%H%M%S%t.&CAM BI looks at the 'Gate' part and if that isn't the cameras short name it doesn't show for that camera.

Last edited:

johnny2678

n3wb
Reaction score
This is so cool! Should definitely help cut down on the shadow alerts I keep getting.

Unfortunately I haven't got it working yet. DeepStack is setup and Active, BI is posting images to the image folder, AI Tool is configured and running, but no alerts are being triggered.

When I start the AI Tool, I get an odd unhandled exception error every time. Pastebin is here:
Does that have anything to do with it?

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I found on mine because I had 2 network cards I had to replace localhost:80 as below for the trigger address.

http://localhost:80/admin?trigger&camera=[short cam name]&user=[user]&pw=[password]

to;

http://192.168.3.11:8082/admin?trigger&camera=[short cam name]&user=[user]&pw=[password]

192.168.3.11:8082 is taken from the lan setting in BI webserver page. Yours will be different.

johnny2678

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow. Apparently the AI Tool started working over night - capturing quite a few events. Just made my first mask for a parked car, which should cut down on the triggers drastically. Very cool!!

Any idea how hard it is to add more detectable objects in DeepStack - say a Sandhill Crane, Deer, or an Alligator?

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Any idea how hard it is to add more detectable objects in DeepStack - say a Sandhill Crane, Deer, or an Alligator?
I asked about that and GentlePumkin said it's not possible with the free version. I'd like Tractors and Loaders (eg JCB loadall).

Reaction score
Hi,
first of all thank you for this free software, which seems to work good.
But I have a few questions/issues/missing features to report
  • It is not possible to adjust the confidence threshold of DeepStack detection
  • Sometimes the aitool uses more than 30% of CPU (I have an I5 4590) which is strange because the process of detection is made by deepstack, anyone knows why this is happening?
  • When processing night vision images it is not so accurate, I've tried with a Hikvision DS-2CD2T42WD-I5 with a person walking 10m far and it couldn't detect it.
  • The online demo of DeepStack DeepStack AI Server) is far more accurate (almost perfect, especially in night condition) than the offline DeepStack software . I've already sent an email to DeepStack asking for an explanation but no one replied so far.
  • Sometimes it can't detect a person in the image, but if I try again later with the same image the result is positive. Maybe because it needs a cooldown (I haven't set it yet)?
  • It would be really nice (if the owner agrees) to have also the source code of this project maybe on github so we can help in the development.
Regards
Francesco

MnM

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
  • When processing night vision images it is not so accurate, I've tried with a Hikvision DS-2CD2T42WD-I5 with a person walking 10m far and it couldn't detect i
  • Sometimes it can't detect a person in the image, but if I try again later with the same image the result is positive. Maybe because it needs a cooldown (I haven't set it yet)?
Hi these 2 might be related to the cloned cameras issue that exists currently in BI - see above for more talk about this.
I have sent an email to support about this a few weeks ago. Nothing was acknowledged from BI that my email got to them, theat they are investigating or anything.
Last night have sent another email. So far still nothing from them.
I suggest that if any of you have the cloned camera issue email BI support - this might get them going to fix this issue.

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've also noted night time detection is not as good but I'm going to look into my settings to see if i can improve it.

I think BI support are pretty busy after the BI5 release. I have sent a number of requests and have had a couple of responses but none to others. The last was an issue with using a location such as Gate.%Y%m%d_%H%M%S%t.&CAM. Bi doesn't seem to pick up, as it should, that this is a file clip or image that belongs to the camera &CAM. I also noted that BI also gets muddled up if a group has the same name as a camera. I'm also having issues with Zone settings for PTZ camera positions.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
The group name being the same as a camera name is covered in the pdf I.e. don’t do it as it will confuse BI

Reaction score
these 2 might be related to the cloned cameras issue that exists currently in BI
Well, actually I'm not using cloned cameras in BI...

The online demo of DeepStack DeepStack AI Server) is far more accurate (almost perfect, especially in night condition) than the offline DeepStack software . I've already sent an email to DeepStack asking for an explanation but no one replied so far.
I've tried with the Docker version (on the same windows machine) and it works better now. So, I think there's a bug in the Windows installer version...

Regards

bbrech1

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been using this over the past few weeks and it has done a tremendous job in reducing the amount of alerts that I was receiving from the system.
I use different profiles that link to my home automation system that is controlled by my alarm system. These profiles are currently setup to send notifications when I'm not home and to record and not send notifications when I'm home.

Request - Would it be possible to control the telegram notifications (on and off) and link it to the Blue Iris profiles?

Thanks

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've installed AITool as a windows service- how do you open the GUI to change settings etc? If you click on AITool.exe it opens a second instance and I can't see a shortcut anywhere.

I'm trying to install the docker version of deepstack but when I open localhost in a web browser and enter my API key the page just hangs with 3 changing colour dots as if it can't authenticate. Any ideas? The same key as the windows version shows as activations exceeded but a new key just gets this hanging.

Last edited: