[tool] [tutorial] Free AI Person Detection for Blue Iris

neile

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone especially GentlePumpkin for their help and assistance with this. I have DeepStack and AITool running great and integrating with BI. What I can't figure out is how to get the trigger alert to show up in BI so that I have a list of all triggered alerts in BI so I can review them. I get emails alert when there's a triggered event, but my Alerts list in BI is empty. Perhaps my config is wrong for triggers/alerts, but I can't figure it out. Anyone have any thoughts on how to get the trigger alerts (triggered by AITool) to show up in BI? Thank you!
Here's a complete walkthrough of how to set up a 24x7 SD recording camera with an HD stream that only records on AI motion detection: danecreekphotography/node-deepstackai-trigger. The camera config described there works just fine with AI Tool, and will get the alerts to show up properly in BlueIris.

joshwah

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How do you reset the "stats" tab? i tried to delete the history.csv file but it did not do it...?

GentlePumpkin

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How do you reset the "stats" tab? i tried to delete the history.csv file but it did not do it...?
Yes I just noticed that too when experimenting with 1.67. That's definitely a bug. Which version of AI Tool are you using?

GentlePumpkin

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for a great tool that works flawlessly!! Are there plans to make the face detection/recognition in deepquestai available in AI Tool? Or is it already possible? If it is already possible could someone direct me towards info on how to set it up? I have AI Tool set up and working GREAT in docker. Thanks again for all your time and effort.
I tried the face recognition feature. I guess most people would like to use this to get information like "person xy is home" or to block alerts when a known person is detected. Generally a good idea I had in mind too, but I think it would undermine the reliability as p.e. anyone could just print your face and wear it. Additionally and probably most importantly, the face recognition seldomly works if the face resolution is as low as it usually is on p.e. a 2MP camera. On higher res cameras this probably is a less important point. Third point is that face detection is significantly slower than usual object detection in my experience (can someone confirm that?).

naidu

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What a bummer memo doesn't work with flag. With the flag setup you set primary as HD and sub feed as SD?

devastator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there any way to tweak settings so that AI Tool is more likely to trigger BI? My tolerances are already 0-100% on AI Tool, yet there are plenty of images it scans where a person is in the picture but it fails to see the person and incorrectly calls it a false alert.
I've been messing with Coral USB Accelerator to process every single frame. I've bumped my confidence to > 40%. Sure, it will miss persons in some frames, but in the end it will always have identified it in one of the others... Will share here once it's ready for prime time.

naidu

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Anyone have issue with HD play back? Most the files I try to play back from All clips I get error stating "Sorry, the file could not be found". The clip is 00 secs. Not sure if its incorrect setting or a bug.

Forid200

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was one of the initial testers, couldn't get it working too great on Windows. It would work for a while then completely bomb out and stop processing for a few hours. Decided to give docker version of Deepquest a shot - wow! It's running really well now, especially with GentlePumpkin improving the AI Tool.
Using version 1.65, sending alerts to my Alexa devices via notifyme when someone is detected at the front door, no more senseless recording either of car headlights either. Cool!

@GentlePumpkin Face detection could be quite nice in certain instances, such as for automation. Example, turning on the hallway lights automatically when a known member of the family is home. I've got a 4K camera at the front door - how much of a processing delay is there?

I had a question as well - When AI Tool is running as a service, is there a 'proper' way to view stats? I generally like to babysit the tool for a while to gauge how well it works and tweak masks etc to make it work better. The AI itself seems to be a lot more accurate than when I initially tried this out.

naidu

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Works for me too now, nice!
Blue Iris motion detection triggers the camera, and as soon as AI Tool confirms the alert, it gets flagged and has the detection tag. Thanks for the heads up :thumb:
How does blueiris setup differ from what in this video:

GentlePumpkin

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was one of the initial testers, couldn't get it working too great on Windows. It would work for a while then completely bomb out and stop processing for a few hours. Decided to give docker version of Deepquest a shot - wow! It's running really well now, especially with GentlePumpkin improving the AI Tool.
Using version 1.65, sending alerts to my Alexa devices via notifyme when someone is detected at the front door, no more senseless recording either of car headlights either. Cool!

@GentlePumpkin Face detection could be quite nice in certain instances, such as for automation. Example, turning on the hallway lights automatically when a known member of the family is home. I've got a 4K camera at the front door - how much of a processing delay is there?

I had a question as well - When AI Tool is running as a service, is there a 'proper' way to view stats? I generally like to babysit the tool for a while to gauge how well it works and tweak masks etc to make it work better. The AI itself seems to be a lot more accurate than when I initially tried this out.
It's great to hear such improvement :D
Regarding the face recognition: Today made a test setup and experimented with it, but even though you can teach Deepstack with multiple sample images for a person, the detection rate remains very low. I used high quality images where the face alone covers an area of p.e. 1000x600px and the results still lacked reliability entirely. I pushed the test setup with one additional Faces tab in AI Tool to github in the branch gp-face, so everyone is free to try it. Currently, I don't see how this could work reliably.

Regarding viewing stats: The stats raw data is stored in the history.csv located in the cameras subfolder. But there is no comfortable way to review them when you can't access the interface of AI Tool.

GentlePumpkin

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How does blueiris setup differ from what in this video:

It's way simpler! I'll explain it in detail later. Meanwhile, you can still use the duplicate camera setup if you prefer that. I always try to update AI Tool in a way so that you can stick with a specific setup if you prefer it. Sometimes it's not possible, but I always invest alot of time trying to.

GentlePumpkin

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@GentlePumkin is there any update on the bug where you delete the history,csv but the stats graphs and figures won’t reset?
Haven't yet figured out why.
EDIT: Not true, I changed something in code yesterday which may have caused it. So in 1.67 preview 3 it does not happen anymore. Can you confirm that? @joshwah

Last edited: