[tool] [tutorial] Free AI Person Detection for Blue Iris

meissen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Should it literally be "[Summary]" like in the URL example, or is there some sort of variable we're supposed to use or set up?

I really want to like this and use it, but I'm getting an almost 2 minute delay in processing an image - by the time it processes the activity is long over. :(

Untitled.png

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Should it literally be "[Summary]" like in the URL example, or is there some sort of variable we're supposed to use or set up?

I really want to like this and use it, but I'm getting an almost 2 minute delay in processing an image - by the time it processes the activity is long over. :(

View attachment 67128
Post a pic of your bi clone camera record tab settings

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
If I'm understanding the logs correctly, it's looking like my deepstack processing is averaging 35-40 seconds. Guess I need to focus my attention to speeding that up!
Is deepstack on the bi machine?

meissen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I couldn't get deepstack to run on my windows server 2016 BI machine without python crashing so I set it up in a hyper-V ubuntu docker

Chris Dodge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I couldn't get deepstack to run on my windows server 2016 BI machine without python crashing so I set it up in a hyper-V ubuntu docker
I think you may need to increase your BI pre trigger video buffer higher so when it finally does trigger, you can catch it. Or else figure out how to get it to process faster (add more cores or ram to hyper-v maybe?). My average is less than a second on threadripper 16 core machine.

meissen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was able to cut the time in half to 12 seconds just by throwing more memory at the hyper-V machine; now that it's the weekend I'm going to try and get DeepStack running natively right on Windows instead of having to go through the Hyper-V and docker.

OccultMonk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is it possible to use GPU for Deepstack within Docker?

And what is the maximum resolution for fast AI parsing? I guess 4K is a bit too much? Are you all using the substream 640x480 stream for Deepstack AI?

meissen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Has anyone actually figured out what the fix is for Windows Deep Stack instances when python crashes immediately upon start-up? Majority of the posts I can find about it people just switch to Docker and call it fixed -- someone out there has to have been able to fix the Windows python crash issue?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Has anyone actually figured out what the fix is for Windows Deep Stack instances when python crashes immediately upon start-up? Majority of the posts I can find about it people just switch to Docker and call it fixed -- someone out there has to have been able to fix the Windows python crash issue?
DeepQuest for Windows will consume a lot of CPU which is the reason for the suggestion to use docker desktop for windows with WSL2 and the docker version of DeepQuest.

Chris Dodge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, it was happening to me. Believe I had to clean out C:\Users\username\.deepstack folder. Uninstalling, deleting C:\Deepstack did nothing for me. Something in that folder was corrupt.

meissen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I guess I have more reading up to do on this Docker Desktop WLS2. I tried to install Docker on my Windows Server 2016 but then when I went to add the DeepStack docker I got an error message about it being for linux only. That's when I then created the Hyper-V ubuntu server virtual machine, installed docker, and then installed the deepstack docker to it. Boosting CPU and memory I was able to bring the DeepStack's processing time down to 3 seconds, I guess that's bearable with the buffer in Blue Iris.

So if I understand the Pre-Trigger Buffer on the Record tab - since my DeepStack is taking ~3 seconds to process and send the trigger command to Blue Iris, should I put the buffer at 4 or so seconds so I always have the alert just before the motion starts?

OccultMonk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is it not possible to use Deepstack on Docker in Windows using GPU instead of CPU?

Also, I can't seem to get my BlueIris push notifications working on the BlueIris mobile App. I set up the AI tool to trigger the (HD stream of the) camera in BlueIris. And set up push notifications for IOS.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I guess I have more reading up to do on this Docker Desktop WLS2. I tried to install Docker on my Windows Server 2016 but then when I went to add the DeepStack docker I got an error message about it being for linux only. That's when I then created the Hyper-V ubuntu server virtual machine, installed docker, and then installed the deepstack docker to it. Boosting CPU and memory I was able to bring the DeepStack's processing time down to 3 seconds, I guess that's bearable with the buffer in Blue Iris.

So if I understand the Pre-Trigger Buffer on the Record tab - since my DeepStack is taking ~3 seconds to process and send the trigger command to Blue Iris, should I put the buffer at 4 or so seconds so I always have the alert just before the motion starts?
I would add the processing time to what ever your pre-trigger is set to, so for me I had it set to 5, my processing takes around 3.5 so I have it set to I think 7 or 8.

meissen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks! Finally have it really working good for triggering the camera and it capturing the activity on the main stream. Very exciting to finally have true motion alerts instead of the wind blowing in the trees!

ReXX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What system do you use for Deepstack?
I have an i5-8500T 2.1 GHz and 8GB of ram where I also run Blue Iris with 4 hikvision cameras.

I send 2048x1536 resolution files to Deepstack which analyse them in around 6-700ms.

So anything over 1 second is very slow to me.

meissen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm running everything on a Dell R510 with dual L5640 2.26ghz and 32GB of ram, the virtual ubuntu machine running docker I put to 10GB for memory and 12 virtual CPUs.

meissen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Next question - in the instructions it says if you check the checkbox for "Hidden" that it will hide the camera from the UI3 interface, but that's not happening for me? My hidden camera is still showing up in my UI3 interface. Is there an additional flag I have to set somewhere to hide hidden cameras from UI3's interface?

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
On console you have to right click and hide all hidden cameras by unchecking show hidden cameras

Last edited: