Two cameras I hope become available

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That 3 megapixel pan/tilt dome is on aliexpress for only $175 USD including shipping. http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=IPC-HDB4300F-PT

Alas I don't have a good use for that cam. Outside my house I already have great fixed coverage plus 2 PTZs. Inside my house it is so dark when I'm away that my cams need IR to see anything. I suppose I could rig up a PIR sensor to control the lights though ...

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I will vote with all the Admins if you post that video to ban you or not, LOL!! I'm not a fan of that pan/tilt camera. I have no desire to pan/tilt with zoom.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have the 3MP PT in the mail from andykim; took a while to get out in the mail but I can wait.. I should have it within a week or so.

I have the perfect use for it as a frontdoor cam, people walking up to the house will walk right up to it and then when they go to my door which is offset to the right a few feet it can pan/tilt over to a better perspective... the audio is also exactly what I needed and there should be plenty of motion sensing security lighting up there that I dont need IR.

its a 180 degree camera, not 360.. so its usefulness is limited but its tiny and it can look arround which is great if your trying to keep the number of visible cameras to a minimum.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, you are right. Somehow I missed the 180 degree part originally, which I have to admit kind of kills any interest I had in putting that cam indoors. My roof is all angled, too, with few exceptions, so normal ceiling mounting would produce some awkwardly rotated video.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Never underestimate how much light those cameras need. I have a mini dome and I thought with my back porch light on it would wake the camera up. Not really so, and not nearly enough to be ID useful unfortunately.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah I missed the 180 part til after I had ordered it; oops.. but its going to sit flat against the front of the house so its moot as there is only 180 degrees of view in this location.. and yeah I have a flat overhang and close distances to deal with but I dont see this being a hugely popular model with these limitations and no IR and presumably no IR filter.

I think its more designed for office use; slap it against an external wall and you can look around and do a lil digital zoom on your minions in there cubes.. if your going to corner mount a camera inside just go with a 2.8mm lens so you get a 90 degree FOV.. or an ultra-wide angle with virtual PTZ.

I was originally going to put a mini dome right by the door looking at it from the side and forgo a camera looking down the approach because I simply did not want 2 cameras on the front that visible.. this lets me accomplish both with a discrete motion sensor and a lil code magic.. and now i get audio and the ability to remotely look around out front as an extra bonus.

It is damn cheap; if you have a place for one its a great deal imho.

I have Two 100w Halogen motion lights that dim to 50w when idle out front, and one on the back.. they work exceptionally well with all the other cameras if I turn off there IR and I'd like to install one more on the front right under the camera in time.. http://www.amazon.com/Heath-Zenith-SL-5630-BZ-D-180-Degree-Motion-Sensing/dp/B000HM7MKM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top It dont light up far out but it focuses all of its light within 20ft or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
The camera will only see what's lit up. Every other part of the fov will be black. 100w when dim will be tricky. It may work out, but I was unhappy to say the least about how bad the images were in my lighted applications. I wanted to avoid ir cameras in the worst way. No go, no choice. I need larger areas covered than just what an external light provides.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
attached is a shot of my back patio at night in full color 3MP with the light from the lamp on high, keep in mind the front has 2 of these lamps already... yeah the range is not nearly as good as with IR but my front yard is not that deep, and at night this camera is not expected to see anyone not headed directly for my front door...

We'll have to see; I am willing to install another camera up front to watch the driveway in time but that potential area is much more discrete than right by the door... absolute worst case I have a backup plan for this camera if its just not suitable; it'll go in the kids room and still be cheaper than a cube camera :)

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That is a good night image..to me for this application that is preferred over ir any day. IR has lots of its own issues not to mention the spider webs. Its not like you can id anyone with ir at any significant distance.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hah I just realized that my new rear camera is automatically switching to day mode when the lamp goes to full bright.. I guess thats good; good long distance IR all night until someone gets close then it switches to full color :)

think I can tweak the sensitivity so that don't happen but not sure I want too

Last edited by a moderator:

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah really, let it go like that. Just look and make sure the transition is fast.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Well my HDW4300C got here yesterday. I did a video on it. I'll post it later tonight. I like the camera. The ir is killer good, as strong as my ptz ir and that's saying something. The only thing that seemed weak was the audio. I saw no volume setting to boost it, and I looked through every menu. Around 4' out the audio dropped right off. It's nothing like what you get from a CCTV powered mic. So that part is a letdown. It's like a dynamic mic as opposed to a condenser mic, and if you know audio you'll know what I mean. Just very weak pickup, however what you do hear is actually good quality sound. This will be put at my front door and I had high hopes for the audio too. I doubt it will be nearly effective enough. I didn't include the audio in the demo, as it was a quick point and shoot look at it. However, the ir on this one is amazing. That's ultimately the reason to consider it, not really the audio. Video to follow later.

Last edited:

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I picked up one of those Dahua cube cameras not too long ago. Like yourself Shock, I was not impressed with the audio. This one does have a mic and speaker volume control because it has
2 way audio. I have the mic maxed out and I can hardly hear someone several feet away. Every analog camera where I added a powered mic, the audio was incredible.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok so the video I did, not great, lol. It was late as hell and I was too wiped out to fiddle with putting the dav files to usb and all, so this is just my camera pointed at the screen. I didn't really adjust much of anything on the camera. I can tell with some tweaking, this will be a worthy camera to consider. I know Vec and Fenderman are getting one- maybe you guys can post backup files for picture quality.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Great video and different scenerio's for review Shock. I think if the camera scenses IR blast, the scene becomes too bright, so the IR shuts off and goes to day mode. Let's get those installed in their permanent spots already and check out some videos.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
^^ LOL! It will be some time before I get this all installed. It may well be next spring. We shall see! But hey, I'm making progress!

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What takes so long? I instal 8 cameras from scratch in one day! LOL!