UK Camera choices - sifting the crap.

Reaction score
As this seems to be 'the' place for IP cam conversation, without the 'fluff' I thought I would ask for some frank advice...

I need 4 x POE cams, (no DVR required) so after reading the wiki and considering all the options, I went with this 'cost effective' amazon purchase of Annke 1080p 4 Pack (http://amzn.eu/9Sp7IMF)

The reason? I decided I wouldn't have a benchmark to compare so "mid range" would do for a starter kit.

Price: Good. Delivery: Brill, Physical Quality of cameras: Pretty good.

I installed a test camera,
web interface : meh, does the job
active X, meh.
Firmware - OMG, 3 years old... quick check, no firmware upgrade avaialble

I then try to connect it to TinyCam- detect its fine and then throws a warning:

Dahua Gen 3- Known Vulnerabilities!

So a bit of googling and sure enough its too easy to get user accounts and hashes passwords from this camera,

A bit a of chatting with the supplier via Amazon and its very clear they are have Zero interest in the issue even though its a few years old.

Back to Amazon the cameras go, and im left a good few hours down (research takes time!) and am also left with a problem...

What cameras can I get in the UK for a sensible price!

Having looked at the Wiki, and continued shopping avoiding unbranded $hite..

Annke - I think we've covered that bit!
Sanne - Annkie by another brand
Reolink - More crap? - Positive reviews though: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reolink-Surveillance-Weatherproof-Detection-RLC-410S/dp/B01AL1T9QS/
Dahua - Good cameras, but dont do UK version, so this one is hacked (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dahua-IPC-HFW4431R-Z-Motorized-Varifocal-International/dp/B076ZNVCNM)

So what UK stock can we trust?!?!?!

Any guidance or thoughts are appreiciated

Thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As this seems to be 'the' place for IP cam conversation, without the 'fluff' I thought I would ask for some frank advice.....

Having looked at the Wiki, and continued shopping avoiding unbranded $hite..

Annke - I think we've covered that bit!
Sanne - Annkie by another brand
Reolink - More crap? - Positive reviews though: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reolink-Surveillance-Weatherproof-Detection-RLC-410S/dp/B01AL1T9QS/
Dahua - Good cameras, but dont do UK version, so this one is hacked (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dahua-IPC-HFW4431R-Z-Motorized-Varifocal-International/dp/B076ZNVCNM)

Any guidance or thoughts are appreiciated

Thanks
Welcome Zakkieboy

There are good models recommended in the Wiki which you can update the firmware, do take a look at those
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

Also look at some of the member reviews of products here. The Dahua OEM products reviewed here will be available from Andy, who should be able to ship to you in the UK w/minimal issues.

Annke clearly does little to keep their products updated, so if you keep those cameras you will want to isolate them from the internet and see if you can update their firmware. If they are Dahua OEM cameras you maybe able to find firmware from Dahua for them. I know people here have updated their Annke branded Hikvision OEM cubes with Hikvision firmware.

That noted, neally all of the IP security camera will have some security flaws so DO follow the security advice in the wiki notes. ( How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) )

Reaction score
Cheers Mat, you confirmed my fears: "That noted, neally all of the IP security camera will have some security flaws" - Which prehaps I want trying to turn a blind eye to.

Sorry to sound Dumb(er) - I dont see recommendations or reviews on the Wiki? Am I missing something?

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
ERIC from northern security uk
Dvs from wales both excellent sellers

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers Mat, you confirmed my fears: "That noted, neally all of the IP security camera will have some security flaws" - Which prehaps I want trying to turn a blind eye to.

Sorry to sound Dumb(er) - I dont see recommendations or reviews on the Wiki? Am I missing something?
hint: see Cliff notes in the wiki ( which may not explicitly be marked as recommendations - but are once you dig into the threads more )

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
With respect, that's about 3-4 times the price of a camera with equivalent specifications. But typical of the high prices of that particular supplier.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...Do you want reliability and good night time recordings, or do you want cheap.
Gee Tommy...we never thought about it that way.

Fellas...we may want reliability and good night time recordings instead of cheap! doh.gif

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Do the cameras with "equivalent specifications" have a Sony Starvis sensor? with 0.002 Lux (Colour)
Well, yes. That's what is implied in 'equivalent', plus the varifocal capability.
Check out the very large number of Dahua posts about their starlight cams, and the smaller number of Hikvision posts on their ultra-low-light range.
Example attached of a fixed lens Hikvision (so reliable) with good colour under a single path lamppost, £70.
My starlight varifocals were less expensive, but the forum wouldn't class them as reliable, though I've had no problems over the last 3 years or so in use.

Attachments

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do the cameras with "equivalent specifications" have a Sony Starvis sensor?
That's a rhetorical question, right? Like any other brand of sensor can perform that well?! lol

with 0.002 Lux (Colour) If so i would like a link.
Here are two new Dahua models (with STARVIS sensors) that have 0.001 Lux (Color) specs:
IPC-HDBW4239R-ASE
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/22557

Same issue here in the US.

Here, it seems like if you want a reliable camera with good features, the latest tech (like Sony's STARVIS image sensor) and firmware upgrades, that narrows the scope down to professional-grade cameras ... typically Dahua or Hikvision ... but neither sell their professional-grade kit directly to consumers. And to make it even more confusing, Dahua US' division doesn't even carry anywhere near the full line of Dahua cameras.

For me, the easiest way to get this quality of camera is to buy Dahua from Andy (@EMPIRETECANDY). He's sold thousands of Dahuas to hundred of members here, shipping worldwide. These are official Dahua "international" cameras, with official Dahua firmware... none of this Dahua "meant for use in China only, requires a hacked firmware to be used elsewhere" camera craziness (like you ran into with that 4431 model on Amazon).

Spend a few minutes poking around through the Dahua sub-forum here... it's very active, with owners sharing a ton of info about many different models and helping each other out.

Last edited: