Unable to access Swann Cameras.

buggysharp

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm unable to access my swann cameras using blueiris. The first two images are from my DVR's settings. The next image is the settings for blue iris. If anyone could help me, I would be incredibly grateful. one.png two.png 3.png

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you trying to have BI pull the stream from the DVR or directly from the cam?

Is that the Cam's config page (as seen on the DVR UI), or the DVR's config page?

Are your cams on a DVR with it's own PoE switch?
If so, the cam IP (.129?) will not be directly accessible from your LAN (which is probably using a different range).

then again, if your DVR only has a LAN port, and cams are out on the LAN with BI, the cam should be directly reachable at that IP.

so yes, make sure the admin username and password in the BI add-cam/video config page match that of the cam.

what happens if you try 'find/inspect'?

you may need to spell out the cam's rtsp: url, as indicated in the DVR's screen for 'IP Channel':
path: rtsp://192.168.1.129:554/ip0100

but find/inspect usually figures that out for you...

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
then answer the other questions about your network.

does your NVR have ethernet connections to power the cams?
or are the cams and BI on the 'same side' of the NVR?
what is the IP address of youre NVR on the LAN?
What is the IP address of your BI server on the LAN

need to understand your topolgy to give you any useful advice...

buggysharp

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you trying to have BI pull the stream from the DVR or directly from the cam?

Is that the Cam's config page (as seen on the DVR UI), or the DVR's config page?

Are your cams on a DVR with it's own PoE switch?
If so, the cam IP (.129?) will not be directly accessible from your LAN (which is probably using a different range).

then again, if your DVR only has a LAN port, and cams are out on the LAN with BI, the cam should be directly reachable at that IP.

so yes, make sure the admin username and password in the BI add-cam/video config page match that of the cam.

what happens if you try 'find/inspect'?

you may need to spell out the cam's rtsp: url, as indicated in the DVR's screen for 'IP Channel':
path: rtsp://192.168.1.129:554/ip0100

but find/inspect usually figures that out for you...
That is the DVR's config page. I should have been more clear. I'm trying to pull from the DVR, if there is a way to pull from the camera directly then please let me know.

The first config is the DVR's config page, the second is also from the DVR. The third is the blue iris config page.

The cams are on the DVR and no directly connected. How would I go about connecting to them through the DVR?

The username and password have been changed but to no avail.

When I hit find/inspect I"m given this.

Opening 192.168.1.29 port 85...
HTTP Get / request...
OK
ONVIF GetSystemDateAndTime
HTTP 500
Opening 192.168.1.29 port 8999...
ONVIF GetSystemDateAndTime
HTTP 12029
Checking for common cameras...
Foscam FI86xx/98xx compatible?
Foscam FI89xx compatible?
Foscam FI9821 V2 compatible?
Foscam FI9821 media port compatible?
RTSP port open?
No automatic configuration made
Done

I've tried to spell out the cams rtsp URL but the one given by swan doesn't seem to work. You can see their URL on the second config image. It shows to put "ip/port/cam#/main/substream"
But no matter what combination I try, I'm not getting a response.

buggysharp

n3wb
Reaction score
then answer the other questions about your network.

does your NVR have ethernet connections to power the cams?
or are the cams and BI on the 'same side' of the NVR?
what is the IP address of youre NVR on the LAN?
What is the IP address of your BI server on the LAN

need to understand your topolgy to give you any useful advice...

It dosn't have POE. They're individually powered and connected to the DVR.
I'm not sure what you mean about them being on the same side. My topology is the the cams are connected to the dvr and the dvr is connected to the router. The blueiris server is also connected to the router.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
OK, you should be able to pull cam streams from the DVR.

in BI's add-cam/video page, use try find/inspect with 192.168.1.129:9000
use the username and password matching the DVR's RTSP setup page.

If that doesn't work, try to find/inspect with 192.168.1.129:554

if that doesn't work, post your BI options/webserver page that shows your LAN ip...

Last edited:

buggysharp

n3wb
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
yes, return it if it won't do what you need and you have that option.

btw, what model is it?

That said, I've never heard of Onwote. not listed as an OEM partner for Hik or Dahua (the two biggest reliable name-brands we usually see.) Some of their previous stuff looks like Reolink cams, whcih don't have the best reputation amongst BI users. It does claim to be ONVIF-compliant at least

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I called swann again. They told me that even though it shows rstp in the options and shows that it's working, that this model doesn't have rtsp functionality. I'll be returning them sadly.

I'm looking into getting these instead: https://www.amazon.com/ONWOTE-Security-Megapixels-Ethernet-Monitoring/dp/B07BZKR3L6/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
Nearly twice the cost, but I think it should work much much better.

Thank you very much for the continued help today. I really do appreciate it.
Stop buying crap. Why do you "think" they will be much much better.

Read the wiki.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

buggysharp

n3wb
Reaction score
DVR8-4580V. I've called three different service technicians and all three said that these cameras didn't have rtsp functionality.

I haven't heard of them either but they do have excellent reviews online. They do say they're ONVIF-compliant but I couldn't find a reviewer that used that option.
Yes, I think they're connected to Reolink in some way.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
the cams with DVR8-4580V are not even IP cams. so unless the DVR provides an RTSP stream, you'll never use that use it with BI.
at least the ONWOTE system looks to use PoE IP cams. I like to think that even crap can be useful if that's what one has to work with.
But given that you seem to have a BI server alerady, why get an NVR at all? save the $$ and just get yourself some decent IP cams to
connect to your network. May need to add a PoE switch, but that's cheap...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
DVR8-4580V. I've called three different service technicians and all three said that these cameras didn't have rtsp functionality.

I haven't heard of them either but they do have excellent reviews online. They do say they're ONVIF-compliant but I couldn't find a reviewer that used that option.
Yes, I think they're connected to Reolink in some way.
These companies are notorious for fake amazon reviews. Most of the legit reviewers wouldnt know a good camera from a bad one. Reolink is another crap companies whos cameras have issues with blue iris because they dont allow iframe intervals to be set. You will get poor low light and night images from those 5mp cameras.

buggysharp

n3wb
Reaction score
Dang. Any other suggestions that don't break the bank? I need two 8 camera systems. Something that works well with blue iris or allows offsite back up of some kind.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Dang. Any other suggestions that don't break the bank? I need two 8 camera systems. Something that works well with blue iris or allows offsite back up of some kind.
Well you were about to spend 800 on 8 cameras. You can buy 8 dahua fixed starlight turrets for about the same (slow shipping). See wiki.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
like i said, if you're using BI, why also get NVR's? Just get yourself a PoE switch and some decent cams. Look into the IPCT-branded (hikvisions) cams sold here or the Dahua's sold by EmpireTech Andy. All good value for the money from reliable manufacturers and reputable resellers.

lifeatredline

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm no pro, but when trying to add cams to blue iris I use the the phone app "fing" while connected to the same network blue iris server is on. You can see the ip address of the cams, and scan the services the cams are offering and on what ports. If the swan ip cams are on a different subnet hosted by the nvr, then only the nvr will show up in fing but you can scan that address to reveal what it offers, if anything. As everyone else is saying build your own system with the components suggested by members here.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk