Unable to add third Hikvision camera to Blue Iris

Rob37

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi. I've been using blue iris for a number of years with very cheap IP cameras and it has been working well for what I need. Recently one of my cheap Foscams began to act flaky and I replaced it with a cheap Hik DS-2CD2442FWD-IW camera. I found that I had to configure the Hik for 1920x1080 but it was still much clearer than the Foscam and had much better night time vision.

I decided I'd replace a couple of the cheap cameras I still had with 2 new Hik cameras. I was able to set up the two additional cameras ok and could watch video by directly logging into the cameras with IE browser. I also set these up for 1920x1080 video.

I was able to add the second camera to blue iris with no problems. However when I tried to add the third camera it would not connect with a no signal error. I could still see the video in the IE browser. Eventually I found that if I disabled one of the other two cameras, the third camera would show video once I restarted it. Playing around I found that I could have any combination of the two Hik cameras - along with the other 3 cheap IP cameras I still had connected. Video on all 3 Hik was always visible thru IE browser.

Any ideas on what to try to overcome the limitation I seem to have with the Hiks? All cameras are connected via wifi as is the Blue Iris server PC.

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi. I've been using blue iris for a number of years with very cheap IP cameras and it has been working well for what I need. Recently one of my cheap Foscams began to act flaky and I replaced it with a cheap Hik DS-2CD2442FWD-IW camera. I found that I had to configure the Hik for 1920x1080 but it was still much clearer than the Foscam and had much better night time vision.

I decided I'd replace a couple of the cheap cameras I still had with 2 new Hik cameras. I was able to set up the two additional cameras ok and could watch video by directly logging into the cameras with IE browser. I also set these up for 1920x1080 video.

I was able to add the second camera to blue iris with no problems. However when I tried to add the third camera it would not connect with a no signal error. I could still see the video in the IE browser. Eventually I found that if I disabled one of the other two cameras, the third camera would show video once I restarted it. Playing around I found that I could have any combination of the two Hik cameras - along with the other 3 cheap IP cameras I still had connected. Video on all 3 Hik was always visible thru IE browser.

Any ideas on what to try to overcome the limitation I seem to have with the Hiks? All cameras are connected via wifi as is the Blue Iris server PC.

Thanks
Sounds like you are overtaxing your Wi-Fi... Or you might have an IP address conflict...

Rob37

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. It is not an ip conflict. I assigned the 3 cameras each a different static ip. I am also able to use IE browser and view all 3 cameras simultaneously there while 2 will show up in Blue Iris. It is pretty consistent that only two will stream in Blue Iris. It is also consistent that if I disable one, the other two are ok. I did hook the server up directly to the router thru ethernet cable and no difference.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What type of pc are you using for bi?
Is it standalone ?
What is the cpu load ?
What is the frame rate for the cameras?
Are you using a nas for the bi storage ?
Temporary hardwire the cameras does the problem occurred ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. It is not an ip conflict. I assigned the 3 cameras each a different static ip. I am also able to use IE browser and view all 3 cameras simultaneously there while 2 will show up in Blue Iris. It is pretty consistent that only two will stream in Blue Iris. It is also consistent that if I disable one, the other two are ok. I did hook the server up directly to the router thru ethernet cable and no difference.
Did you try hardwiring the third camera? its not a blue iris issue..we all have more than 3 cameras.

Rob37

n3wb
Reaction score
Short version: user error.

Long version: I set up a second pc and installed bi from scratch. Connected PC and cameras hardwired to router. I added each camera one at a time and made sure they worked. I moved all the pieces to wireless and everything still worked ok. Did a side by side comparison between the original PC bi configs and the working PC's configs. Turns out the original PC had two cameras that had the use RTP/UDP ports box checked and were using the same port. What must have happened is that I inadvertently checked this box on one of the cameras and then used that profile to add the third. Since that's not a setting I've used before, I didn't notice it on the original pc. Unchecked the boxes on the original bi config and everything works fine - even on wifi.

Thanks again to all for the helpful suggestions.