**UPDATED**SUCCESS**CRACKED*Swann PROPRIETARY camera-can't see it on the network-Swann SWNHD-865MSB

madnut

n3wb
Reaction score
Update on the camera (SWNHD-886MSD) capabilities:
PIR and Motion detection seem to work as a motion Onvif event that BI can see. But there is no PIR only option in the interface. There is Motion or (PIR+ Motion), I can only assume that PIR+ Motion is less sensitive to leaf motion and more sensitive to heat signatures.

The camera has some intelligent alarms like person detection, face, object, intrusion, but they do not seem to fire any Onvif events. This is annoying because it means the server CPU would have to be used for these, but from what I read this seems the case for most cameras so not a huge deal, but it is a disadvantage over the NVR that can see these.

The intelligent events do have an option to send an email so there might be a workaround.
I will try to write an SMTP demon that grabs the email and sends an http command to the synology station, I think a similar solution can be made to work for BI as well, prolly simpler to do on a pc.

madnut

n3wb
Reaction score
Sad update: It appears that this firmware supports onvif, but the support is spotty.
The onvif interface does not expose the 4k resolution of the stream and only has a 5MP resolution available.
For Blue iris this seems to not matter much because you can set it up to read events from onvif while directly using rtsp stream from the camera regardless of onvif. Then you can set up the camera to stream the main stream as 4k and BI will use it together with seeing events. Since BI does not really support multi stream this is no issue.

In synology on the other hand they try to fully utilize the onvif interface.
So I can either disable onvif and have a 4k cam via RTSP and no events due to lack of onvif.
Or it can use onvif fully but then it only allows the resolutions that onvif exposes which are not 4k. Since for synology i really want to have two streams the second one being for looking at the cam from mobile this makes the camera very inconvenient to use. I am giving up and going with Dahua ipc-hdw4831em-ase, it has similar spec and price range about 25$ more, and seems to work fully with onvif.

madnut

n3wb
Reaction score
Mine expose 4k though onvif
Interesting, perhaps the 885s are better in that regard. Or maybe I got a bad one. Also I did reset the cam to defaults maybe that messed up the onvif. So possibly my issue is an isolated one.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to get the Swann 885 or 865 cameras. At the moment it would work out cheaper to buy the cameras in a deal with the Swann NVR, at least here in the UK. But I want to make use of the ONVIF PIR+ Motion events of the cameras, to trigger my home automation when the camera detects an event.

I assume that if I have the cameras plugged in directly into the NVR then I can's see their ONVIF interface? Is that correct? If I open up the camera as you guys have done above, can I place them on the network and still have the Swann NVR see them? Or can the Swann NVR only see cameras directly plugged into it?

droth1988

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All, Just picked up a few NHD-885 cameras that I would like to get working with Blue Iris. I was able to get into the web interface, change IP addresses etc, but can't get the camera to stream into Blue Iris. When I run the ONVIF tool, it can't connect. Password for the cameras is the MAC address, but the web interface nor the Device config tool was able to change the admin password. It seems like madnut has said that default won't allow the stream. Any suggestions? Camera is running v 4.1.4.8_180409 firmware.

droth1988

n3wb
Reaction score
Just to follow up...I did get the camera's working. When I bought them, I bough them with the DVR, as it ended up being cheaper that way. I connected the cameras to the Swann DVR and left them plugged in for a few minutes. Then I moved them to my POE switch, access them with web browser, using the MAC as the password. I was able to then change the admin password, and the cameras work as expected with Blue Iris. I could only reset the admin password after it was plugged into the DVR first.

Will H

n3wb
Reaction score
I fucking did it! I was able to crack the new swann true detect ip camera.

Swann NHD-865 and NHD-885 true detect cameras - supposedly proprietary

Steps

1. installed a new swann true detect nvr camera system for a client
2. in the menu system, noted how the cameras were assigned ip addresses
-the nvr used 192.168.0.1 as its own IP and subnet 255.255.255.0 but gave the cameras an ip range of 172.16.1.15x - port 9988 - interesting
3. initially wrote the ip down wrong as 172.10.1.15x, no router or computer would allow you to make it a static ip as its reserved for public - pull hair out and start this thread
4. finally realized that the ip range was 172.16.1.15x, changed my router to an ip of 172.16.1.149
5. configured allowed ips of 172.16.1.150 to 172.16.1.190
6. plugged camera into poe switch and rebooted router
7. watched as clients came online as the router initalized
8. noticed an unknown ip that got a new DHCP adderss of 172.16.1.157
9. tried ssh and telnet - no worky
10. ping - 3ms response
11. try no result
12. try - swann camera page saying to download plugin
13. start foaming at the mouth
14. username : admin password: left blank - login failed
15. username : admin password: 12345 - login failed
16. contemplate getting on live chat with swann
17. try one more combo admin:password !!!!!WHAMMY!!!!
18. jizz pants

holy crap wtfbbbq!

PIR, motion, audio, 4K@15fps, 4MP@30fps, 16000kbs data rate, analytics, everything seems to work

This offers a cheap alternative to buying Chinese cameras from shady online vendors.
------------

I just followed your instructions to help a client use a SWNHD-866MSD (dome) camera. A couple of noteworthy points:

1. No web interface is presented. You can see the webpage loading my observing the TLD handshaking in the bottom left corner of Firefox, but you are presented with a blank white screen - no Web interface.

2. Using ONVIF DEVICE MANAGER (ODM) I was easily able to discover the device, and access network settings, time settings etc in the ODM software. Here I was able to set IP to NON-DHCP, and configure for his network.

NOTE: username: admin password: admin (not password as stated above)

3. In the ODM software setting time was messed up, it took many efforts to get Timezone/Time correct - it is not setup to use GMT time like a normal device, despite it's appearances. (you'll get a NOT GMT or CST error).
Also I could not change the default admin password. I did not attempt to add a user, as it wasn't necessary for the client.

4. In the ODM< there is an option to ENABLE web interface on port 80, but it seemed to have no effect. I asm wondering if I just need to use /index.html or similar to force it to load - a simple disguising technic perhaps??

Anyway, well done everyone --

Will

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a camera set from amazon... swann 5mp with NHD-865 cameras. same problem here... i can not access the camera interface. I already tried to reset the password, changed the ip to static ... nothing works.

ODM cannot find the camera. the device configuration tool from swann finds the camera, says there is port 80 for the interface, but it just dont open. 404.

Will H

n3wb
Reaction score
I assume you were able to configure the IP address and see it listed in FING or your routers client list?

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
I assume you were able to configure the IP address and see it listed in FING or your routers client list?
Sure, Portscan shows open port 80, 544, 7000 and 9988 ... but I cannot open the webinterface or show stream via rtsp ... it seems that the camera blocks everything on the ports.

Will H

n3wb
Reaction score
Just for fun try disabling antivirus (completely) and firewall. Then reboot and try the device manager again. If it isn't found, I am wondering if they have released a new firmware to block usage. I do not have access to a camera to test with so I am of little more help at this point.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
I disabled all router features SPI Firewall TCP filtering but it do not work. I will try another router later, maybe it works better.

But I think i will return this piece of shit. The image quality is super bad. I have a reolink system installed last week in another building and the quality is a lot better. they both claim that they have 5MP. But the swann looks more like 1-2MP. Both have 15FPS on the highest resolution, but the reolink looks more natural. The reolink has 3 streams, one which is 720p and looks fine on mobile/tablet. The swann has only 640x480 on sub stream, which looks terrible. Because of upload limitations I can not use the mainstream.

The reolink system supports RTMP, i got a latency of 0,5-0,8s out of it. The Swann only supports RTSP, which results in a 2s lag.

And all nice features like face detection, fences etc. seems only to work with 4k cameras. What a pain in the ass. This is only mentioned in the manual pdf. Reolink works just fine. I just bought the swann for my home, because everyone on this forum says reolink is shit. Nice. Now i cannot buy reolink because its out of stock.

Last edited:

AJ Quick

n3wb
Reaction score
Regarding the NHD-865MSB.

It appears the camera does not have a password set until you plug it into the NVR and set a password through there. I was using the 7450/8580 Camera Utility from Swann and was unable to change any settings until after I set up the camera using the NVR. Once set, I was able to modify the settings using the Swann utility and stream over ONVIF / RTSP.

Doing some further research I found the camera may be made by Taiwan manufacturer "EZ Watching". They have an almost identical 5MP PIR / POE camera that also has floodlight LEDs. I found they have an App on Android and Itunes that is called "RXCamView". Through this phone app, you may be able to change settings easier than using the Swann program.

I have contacted EZ Watching to see if they can supply any utilities or firmware upgrades that can unlock the camera fully.

Their website (only one I could find): EZ-WATCHING CO., LTD. | Excellent Consumer Electronics Supplier on Taiwantrade.com

It appears "IVSEC" also sells the same camera, though I believe they just a rebrand like Swann.

dave888

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ive managed to get into the cam and get BI to detect it etc. I can see the live stream if i log in on internet explorer but not BI. Here are my settings. the password is correct so im thinking it must be something to do with a port? Ive selected the Swann profile for this camera in BI.
50998008_10217326309485213_2235422798442921984_n.jpg 51077057_10217326310045227_5728391190563258368_n.jpg 51304407_10217326321525514_1633404370798247936_n.jpg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ive managed to get into the cam and get BI to detect it etc. I can see the live stream if i log in on internet explorer but not BI. Here are my settings. the password is correct so im thinking it must be something to do with a port? Ive selected the Swann profile for this camera in BI.
View attachment 38713 View attachment 38714 View attachment 38715
Hi @dave888

on the camera, network:
turn off UPnP, P2P

go to the rtsp section and show us a screen shot.

also, are you going through your router?

thanks

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score