Upgrade Comcast Router/Modem combo?

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any advice on whether or not I should upgrade my Xfinity router/modem combo for an IP PoE system?

I'm not even sure if it is compatible as every pic I see has people using a separate cable and router.
I have Comcast Triple Play (Phone TV Internet) package so hopefully I don't "have to" keep this as part of the package?!! I doubt it but I wonder if I would get slower speeds if I bought my own router and modem?

How hard is it (or how UN-necessary) to have 2 networks? I have heard it is a possibility and perhaps even safer,...but not sure how to go about it if I need to?

I do plan on doing the VPN thing (sorry haven't researched it enough to understand it yet!),..so just not sure what my options are or should be.

Here is my router/modem combo from Xfinity FWIW:

Attachments

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not really sure of the exact model,...just know it is a router/modem combo. But I do have phone service included with my TV/internet so it looks like I will have to keep it.
looney2ns seems to really know his stuff so I'm going to go with what he says!
If I have any problems I will definitely be asking questions and posting updates

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I have phone service with my cable and internet provider. I disabled the router services on the cable modem and use an Asus router behind it. Doesn't affect anything else at all. Find out the exact model number of the cable modem/router and google "model xyz bridge mode". There should be instructions out there somewhere. There can be some substantial benefits to doing that, especially if the router part is 100 mbit and not gigabit, although you could always plug a gigabit switch into the router and plug all of the high speed stuff into the switch and keep the heaviest traffic off the router. Presumably they wouldn't give you a 100mbit modem/router with internet faster than that. That'd be a stupid bottleneck to have.

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Kawboy.
Any chance you could give a quick reason to why or how I would get substantial benefits? I am completely clueless with network lingo but would like to know how it would make my system better. I am going to guess because it may not use as much bandwith, give me better speeds, maybe less camera lag, etc etc,...but again I don't really understand and would really like to learn. I am willing to do whatever it takes to get the best system for my money but not sure what costs are worth it or not.
Thanks again

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My question was to ensure their router supports VPN, which I suspect does not.

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow,...never even considered that! Thanks t84a. I will definitely have to look into that. Not sure yet what VPN is or does although I'm pretty sure it is for security issues.
But I want the best safest system possible so I will have to do yet more research!! It never ends!!!! :banghead:

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Definitely VPN is high on the list of benefits, plus possibly things like static IP assignments to cameras, ease of blocking camera access to the net, etc. I haven't a clue what your Comcast can do, but it's easy in an Asus. You can run OpenVPN on an Asus, plus if you run into trouble or need help, I doubt that you will find a big active community with aftermarket support for the Comcast router.

I know for the internet, multi-building LAN and Blue Iris set up that I run at work that the fastest modem/router the telephone company offers out there in the boondocks is a 10/100 ADSL router. I was having some issues with it and called a friend of mine who was one of the engineers that designed the custom software for that particular modem. He had moved on to greener pastures but put me in touch with one of the current top dogs at the phone company where I had a little chat about the router. I guess they had determined that 100 megabits was as fast as anybody would need in most setups and didn't offer a faster option. I told him what I was running and why I had bypassed their router and put it in bridge mode and he laughed and said yep I guess you need a faster one. Technically though, most of what I need could be done with a gigabit switch next to their router and run all the faster local traffic through it. It's also just nice to run the same router brand in multiple places.

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Damn,...just when I thought I was getting the hang of some of this! Looks like I need to read up and price out yet more hardware!!

Technically though, most of what I need could be done with a gigabit switch next to their router and run all the faster local traffic through it. It's also just nice to run the same router brand in multiple places.
Again I am clueless,....but is what you are saying here possibly to NOT purchase a separate router and instead buy a gigibit switch and do the bridge thing,.... (not gonna jump ahead and ask how or where that gets plugged into,..yet!! - my brain is already fried from trying to retain what I learned yesterday!!)
But is that what you were saying is another possibility? And Even though you stated it could be done,...would just buying a separate router be easier for a beginner like me?

Either way it sounds like everybody is on the same page that IF I can use a different router,..I should. But I still have to keep my Xfinity MODEM/router as a "modem" because I subscribe to Triple Play (Comcast TV/Phone/Internet)

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
CJ555,

I use comcast, for phone, TV, and internet (triple play)
The prvious comcast cable modem was old, and didn't support DOSCIS 3.0 that Comcast was deploying.
They would "upgrade my modem at no charge". Hmm, Comcaast isn't known for being magnanimous. I looked closer.
The cable modem had a monthly rental fee, added to the bill. A quick calculation showed I paid 2X or 3X in rent, compared to modem cost. I paid dearly for renting.
And I learned I could buy my own cable modem, with a break-even of ~ 18 months compared to "perpetual" rent.
Comcast has a small list of supported devices that are supported as "customer-owned" modems. I chose the ARRIS Surfboard. It's been a couple of years, so the list of devices has undoubtedly been updated to newer models.
Lotsa guidance on the internet, I followed the Comcast instructions and some How-To tutorials.

There's a Comcast procedure to follow to install the modem on the Comcast network. It involves registering the device, (Make/Model, sharing MAC addr, s/n, etc.) Then Comcast reaches out to the modem, configures it, and locks down many menus, so flexibility & configurabiilty is restricted (and some not available any more, like router services)

Like Kawboy12R, I use a separate router. Works well. It's been 12 or 16 months now.... No regrets.

Fastb

Last edited:

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
But I still have to keep my Xfinity MODEM/router as a "modem" because I subscribe to Triple Play (Comcast TV/Phone/Internet)
Yes, you still need an Xfinity compatible modem to enjoy triple play.
Either rent it, or buy one.
DOCSIS is getting improved all the time, I think DOCSIS 4.0 is out. So depending on your current modem (DOCSIS 2.0?), comcast may be rolling out new hardware in the near future.

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cool,...glad to know a different router AND modem is an option even with Triple Play. And I read in a different post days ago about the rent vs own cost difference and I believe I am paying $10/month rent!! :angry: (haven't really "looked at" a bill lately,....it hurts a little less to just pay it!)
But as embarrassing as it is to say,...this scares me:
There's a procedure to follow to install the modem on the Comcast network. It involves registering the device, Make/Model, sharing MAC addr, s/n, etc. Then Comcast reaches out to the modem, configures it, and locks down many menus, so flexibility & configurabiilty is restricted (and not available any more, like router services)
When you say "Then Comcast reaches out to the modem, configures it, and locks down many menus, so flexibility & configurabiilty is restricted (and not available any more, like router services),...it sounds like they limit you,..so I am confused why you think a new router AND MODEM is the way to go. I really am sorry for my lack of knowledge with networks but I have waaaay to many other IPcam things going on right now that I am trying to understand!! :rolleyes: So I was hoping maybe you could explain this real quick if you don't mind.

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, you still need an Xfinity compatible modem to enjoy triple play.
Ooops I spoke too quickly,....I guess I misunderstod you about buying my own router AND modem.
I will take a pic and show a close up of my model soon,...in case it may help

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
it sounds like they limit you,
So Comcast can easily manage their netwrok, and make it easier for the armies of techs installing equipment, they pick straightforward confiurations that satisfy the majority of installations. One capability that was restricted, IIRC, was the ethernet LAN port on the cable modem could only support one IP address. I believe the Surfboard cable modem could support more (and handle routing), the Comcast config that was downloaded restricted it to a single IP. Which naturally, is the IP of my separate router.
In practical terms, the restricted functionality wasn't a big problem.

I am confused why you think a new router AND MODEM
No, I'm not saying you need to do do BOTH.
If you're renting the router (in addition to the modem), you could do a similar break-even-analysis to handle the rent-vs-buy decision.
Also, the router's capability might affect your decision. If your router doesn't support VPN, that could factor into you decision to replace the router.

Last edited:

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's the Xfinity site listing retail modems that Comcast will support.
The model number in your pic isn't listed. Which is probably because it's a non-retail modem, possibly a private-label model that is only available to Comcast.
XFINITY My New Modem

Last edited:

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
The gigabit switch thing is the easiest way to speed up local access between high traffic devices and keep that traffic off the modem /router without bridging and using a separate possibly faster router like an Asus with better options. That's not a huge deal unless the Comcast gizmo is just 10/100 and might then be a bottleneck, at least at times.

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just put your existing Comcast modem in bridge mode and buy an Asus router.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You dont need their modem at all...particularly if you are paying 10 dollars a month to rent it...swapped one of these bad boys in for a friend last year...has phone capability as well...works perfect...was 50-60 bux on ebay...they gave me an issue with activation, it activated fine and worked for a few weeks...then when they received the rented unit back they "accidentally" deactivated the arris unit...When I called the tech insisted it was not compatible...I told him it was working for about a month...went to tier two and they resolved it...they actually used these in many installations...
Arris TM822G -
Arris TM822G Docsis 3.0 Cable VoIP Telephony Modem - Cable One, Mediacom, Comcast / Xfinity, RCN, PenTeleData - Newegg.com