Upgrade Comcast Router/Modem combo?

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here's the Xfinity site listing retail modems that Comcast will support.
Sorry fastb,but I didn't see the link.
The gigabit switch thing is the easiest way to speed up local access between high traffic devices and keep that traffic off the modem /router without bridging and using a separate possibly faster router like an Asus with better options.
Thank you. I obviously need to contact Comcast and see if I am only 10/100 and if my modem supports VPN. If not I need to either get a new Comcast modem/router that does support VPN and possibly add the gigibit switch,...or worst case a new router that is compatible with whatever Comcast modem I end up with.
If I am wrong I don't blame you for walking away,...I'm sure my ignorance is annoying. But man I really have NO clue what all this gigibit, LAN, VPN , 10/100 , DOCSIS stuff means,....and unless you're a cable or network guy,...I really don't know how you know or learned it!!!

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You dont need their modem at all...particularly if you are paying 10 dollars a month to rent it...swapped one of these bad boys in for a friend last year...has phone capability as well...works perfect...was 50-60 bux on ebay...they gave me an issue with activation, it activated fine and worked for a few weeks...then when they received the rented unit back they "accidentally" deactivated the arris unit...When I called the tech insisted it was not compatible...I told him it was working for about a month...went to tier two and they resolved it...they actually used these in many installations...
Perfect. This is what I will try. Hopefully they don't play those games with me but I'll eventually figure it out!

Just put your existing Comcast modem in bridge mode and buy an Asus router.
Thanks,...I will figure out how to do that and try that route temporarily until I get the new router,....heck maybe it will even be fine with my network and I'll go that route.
Thank you to everyone for your help. I swear one of these days I will figure this chit out and hopefully be able to help someone else out down the road. (still have my doubts though!! lol)

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry fastb,but I didn't see the link.
Oops!
XFINITY My New Modem

Just put your existing Comcast modem in bridge mode and buy an Asus router.
I don't remember that Bridge Mode was a required configuration step.
The LAN port on the cable modem is expected to talk to a router/switch on the customer's LAN.
Maybe you're talking about a cable modem with built in WiFi?

In any case, CJ555, the instructions for installing your cable modem are straightforward, and geared for consumers (instead of IT professionals)
The fact I don't remember if I needed to enable Bridge Mode or not could mean the whole installation was uneventful, with no memorable headaches.

You have triple-play. So make sure you buy a triple-play compatible cable modem.
Not all cable modems support voice....
Comcast Triple-Play Compatible Modems | EyeObserver

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You have triple-play. So make sure you buy a triple-play compatible cable modem.
Not all cable modems support voice
got ya. and thanks for the link,...and thanks for giving me more things to research! :D

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't think any Xfinity approved gateway will support vpn.
I think you're right. And the article supports your statement.
Comcast's limited level of configurability probably disabled vpn, assuming it was in there to begin with.
Comcast would have lots of customer service calls when Joe Homeowner tries to set up a vpn, on either rented modems, or customer owned modem.

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK so now what are my options?!! :idk:
Is VPN really that important (sorry I didn't get to VPN yet!)
Or is there still a way maybe using a different router and still keeping my comcast cable/modem and "bypassing" the router part.
Sorry if this was already explained but obviously if it was it was one one the parts I didn't understand.
Just when I thought I hated Comcast as much as I possibly could!!!:mad:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK so now what are my options?!! :idk:
Is VPN really that important (sorry I didn't get to VPN yet!)
Or is there still a way maybe using a different router and still keeping my comcast cable/modem and "bypassing" the router part.
Sorry if this was already explained but obviously if it was it was one one the parts I didn't understand.
Just when I thought I hated Comcast as much as I possibly could!!!:mad:
If you are paying a 10 dollar monthly fee to comcast for the modem you gotta be crazy to keep paying them for it in perpetuity..youll make your money back on the refurb unit in 7 months...new in about a year...

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
VPN is more secure. The concensus on this forum is that it is paramount. I don't necessarily agree. In any event, you should be able to use your existing gateway and disable the router function (bridge mode). You would then buy a new wifi router (Asus is a good option) and manage your traffic with that. Where are you located? Why would you hate Comcast? I do tons of work either fir them or for their customers.

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've seen it exactly zero times in my 15 years of installing these things. It's not that it can't happen, it's just that it really doesn't. At least not enough to panic about. 100s of thousands of cameras are connected via port forwarding without issue. With that said, we can agree to disagree and not hijack this thread.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen it exactly zero times in my 15 years of installing these things. It's not that it can't happen, it's just that it really doesn't. At least not enough to panic about. 100s of thousands of cameras are connected via port forwarding without issue. With that said, we can agree to disagree and not hijack this thread.
We cannot agree on leaving a misleading post that could lead to a device being hacked which can compromise the feed as well the entire network the camera is on. "Installers" like you ARE the problem. Port forwarding cameras or NVR's is malpractice - unless you have a properly segmented network AND it wont be critical if the feeds are exposed or the cams go offline. Your claim that you have not seen this is a lie - or your claim that you have been installing them is...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Its also important to note that in most cases the end user would not even know they were hacked...

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
CJ555,
You've got a lot of items in the air, but thy can be treated separately.
Cable modem: Maybe leave sleeping dogs lie for now. Cable modem won't address VPN, or your new NVR addition to your lan. It saves money if you buy vs rent. But for a month or three, let the dog sleep while you grapple w/ the other items.
VPN: Consensus is rapidly switching to saying VPN is crucial. New back doors discovered more frequently, and infection rates going up.
Middle ground: install your NVR onn your home LAN, but don't expose it to internet. (don't port forward). You won't be able to re-mote view. But in the mean time, you'll have your hands full with learning the NVR, Cams, poe, mounting locations, etc. Meaning remote viewing will be way down on your tech to-do list. A secure router, with vpn, is in your future. maybe let that dog sleep a bit longer.....

You would then buy a new wifi router
Or maybe "A new router with VPN"
WiFi wasn't a "requirement" we tossed your way, when guiding you on this Router/Modem thread related to NVR and wired cams. Avoid wireless cams.

CJ555, just trying to keep the wheat and chaff separate, as you drink from the fire hose. (mixed metaphor lol, but that's how the cookie bounces!)

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
His existing Arris is wifi. When you set to bridge mode, you lose wifi. He may want wifi for another PC, tablet or phone.

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
and manage your traffic with that
man I can't wait until I can actually understand you guys!! Pathetic,...I know. But learning a little each day.

And I meant no disrespect to Comcast workers or any of their subs (I have nothing but great things to say about their installers who ever installed or fixed anything I ever needed),....but I do think they charge astronomical prices and make more than enough profit that they could give the consumers a break. And now I understand that they limit what services and speeds I may or may not need,...but should get either way for the money I pay. My humble opinion anyway.

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
fastb Idefinitely agree NO WIRELESS,...I already returned my un opened Arlos!
But I never mentioned wireless or wifi router,..I think you quoted me but that was t84a just saying I would still need a new router if I wanted VPN

But I agree I am going into overload and making things worst for myself! 1 step at a time and I am going for 3-4 at once and it aint working!! :facepalm:

I need to let them dogs sleep!!! :)

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I mentioned wifi because your existing gateway has wifi.

Just keep reading and asking. There are a lot if smart people on this forum and a ton of good info. I learn new stuff every day.

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I definitely need to keep wifi in my house,....definitely can't afford a divorce after i drop what looks like over $2k for a camera system!
Plus I need to bug you guys on my laptop in whatever room I'm in,...so I definitely need wifi!!!

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you. I obviously need to contact Comcast and see if I am only 10/100 and if my modem supports VPN. If not I need to either get a new Comcast modem/router that does support VPN and possibly add the gigibit switch,...or worst case a new router that is compatible with whatever Comcast modem I end up with.
If I am wrong I don't blame you for walking away,...I'm sure my ignorance is annoying. But man I really have NO clue what all this gigibit, LAN, VPN , 10/100 , DOCSIS stuff means,....and unless you're a cable or network guy,...I really don't know how you know or learned it!!!
I'm just a lifetime tech nerd. It doesn't hurt that I threw in a bunch of time in university in computer science either. I also like problem solving, so if I see someone else's problem I solve theirs when I'm low on my own problems. I'm sure there's a support group for it out there somewhere but screw it. I like it. :)