Upgrade few on swann NVR

DemonicHawk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks I'll try a pre 3.1.0 and telnet. Quick question- will it give me an issue if I downgrade the firmware or since I'm using tftp it has no knowledge of what I'm putting in there?
No issue when you're using tftp.

Also, if I eventually give up is it possible to find the original Swann firmware for this device?
You can check Swann's website, they have the original firmware for the "NVR16-7200", though it is a fair bit older than what they ship with.

sauropod

n3wb
Reaction score
How would I run tftp if my NVR always gets an IP address from the router? I guess I need to be able to connect to it at 192.0.0.64 but it is running at 192.168.1.100. Should I just change the static ip to 192.0.0.64 from the web interface?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The bootloader in the Hikvision NVRs start up with the IP address set to 192.0.0.64 then probes with a UDP packet with a 'magic number' payload for the Hikvision-specific tftp server at 192.0.0.128
If that times out then the boot process continues and the interface is set with the normal configured IP address.
You've said the NVR looks like the 7616, and therefore presumably not this one, where there is still a link to the old firmware: http://www.swann.com/au/swnvr-16725h

sauropod

n3wb
Reaction score
Alastair Stevenson and DemonicHawk,

Thank you both so much for your help with this. I finally got my Costco Swann 16 channel/8 POE 3MP NVR working with Hikvision firmware. It appears that the Swann/Costco model I have (CONV16-b3mp8c / http://www.costco.com/Swann-16-Channel-HD-IP-NVR-with-3TB-HDD,-8-3MP-Cameras-with-115-ft.-Night-Vision.product.100144944.html) corresponds to the Hikvision 7816 series, not 7616, and not 7116. Thanks to DemonicHawk earlier, and a number of assists from Alastair late, I was able to load the 7816 series firmware onto my NVR and it seems to work well. There are a few glitches like I can't get all 8 cameras to show live feed on the same screen but I think this is a result of more configuration needed rather than a firmware issue.

A couple of important things I learned along the way (again thanks to you both for assisting with much of this info):

1. If using TFTP, and you find yourself trying to get it to work repeatedly (numerous failures before getting it to work), I found that if you power on the NVR instantly after launching the TFTP executable it seems to work much better. So I would launch the TFTP executable, and instantly switch on the NVR and I guess whatever timing issue was occurring seemed to get resolved by this method. Your mileage may vary. I also set the IP Gateway on the NVR to an address that does not exist (on a completely different subnet) on my network just to make sure it doesn't automatically pick up an IP address from the router.

2. The firmware I used (and received from Alistair) is 7816N-E2_308_ML. Alistair, would be kind enough to provide a public place/link where others can download?

3. After loading the firmware I was allowed to choose my language directly on the NVR startup screen.

4. I did NOT need to update the firmware on my cameras. The newly branded Hikvision NVR picked up my Swann firmwared cameras automatically (you may need to upgrade cams if the different in firmware between NVR and cameras is too great).

5. Make sure your firewall is completely turned off while TFTPing (just in case).

6. With regards to the phony error (Missing econt_Vision-AV2000 file) on the TFTP app we're supposed to ignore- I found that if I successfully was able to transfer the digicam.dav, I did not get the error. i only got the error if I TFTP was able to connect to the NVR but unable to transfer the digicam.dav file. This is just my findings, others have reported otherwise.

Thanks again guys!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well done for getting there.
If the insides of your NVR are indeed compatible with the 7816 - the Swann picture is quite different - (78xx is normally a Chinese-only model, but I think a lot get sold in Australia) then there is a possibility that you could move up a few firmware versions and get the benefits of some added features, whilst retaining the English menus and persona.
What I and others have found is that provided you are able to use the web GUI for the update, the language settings are retained, even with the official CN firmware. Although I've only done that up to 3.3.4, not to the 3.3.6 which is the latest on the Hikvision China website here: http://www1.hikvision.com/cn/download_more_699.html#prettyPhoto
The tftp update clears the configuration and loses the language settings.
With each update, more restrictions are applied, so there could be objections to the OEM-tagged hardware, but the new interface is nice, there is explicit support for 'smart events', and a few new useful search and playback facilities in the VGA/HDMI interface.
One 'gotcha' is the need to have changed the user password to a suitably strong one before the update, to avoid the situation where the new login screen does not work correctly when the old default password is still configured.
And it's important to ensure you have a saved copy of the device configuration and camera configurations along with the as-is firmware that was applied to provide a fallback position given any problems.

sauropod

n3wb
Reaction score
Interesting. I may give this a try in a month from now. Yes, they look different but not a whole lot. I always figured Swann bought just the board and designed their own case which is why you see subtle differences. I always look at the back generally as if the board is the same you'll see all the various ports line up at exactly the same places on the back of the case.

Also, if I upgrade my NVR again and to the various Chinese one's as you suggested, will I have to upgrade my camera firmwares as well? I'm a bit wary after the hoops I had to go through with this, although testing and/or bricking one camera is not as big a deal as bricking a NVR.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Also, if I upgrade my NVR again and to the various Chinese one's as you suggested, will I have to upgrade my camera firmwares as well
It is possible that NVR firmware updates can embarrass existing cameras - the newer firmware enforces a region check for example, which can give a 'language mismatch' error for the camera.
Do your cameras have intrusion detection and line crossing detection?

sauropod

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry the late reply.. had a family emergency.

The cameras are Hikvision DS-2CD2032. They have some VCA abilities I believe as the user manual states as much. On the current firmware I don't seem to have the ability to set line boundaries for line crossing detection.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I hope all is well.
On the current firmware I don't seem to have the ability to set line boundaries for line crossing detection.
Is this on the camera web GUI?
The later NVR firmware web GUI (I think it started in 3.2.1) does have the support to configure the camera's 'smart events' such as line crossing and intrusion detection.

sauropod

n3wb
Reaction score
All is well now, thanks. :)

This would be the NVR Firmware, not the Camera firmware. That's great that the line crossing and intrusion detection is supported in the newer releases. After I'm back from vacation I am going to give that a try (don't want a bricked NVR while I'm away).

Thanks again for all your help Alastair. I nearly went mad until you sent me that 7816 firmware.

bjtech

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I just finished reading through this discussion about upgrading Swann NVR firmware. I initially looked into this when I installed my system back in Feb. but gave up. For some reason, I started getting curious again and found this thread. Although my current system is okay, I feel that it is lacking something. Have you noticed the Hikvision firmware to be much better? I'm trying to decide if I should attempt this after the issues that you ran into. Or if I should just be satisfied with it the way that it is? Thanks in advance for any advice you have.

Last edited by a moderator:

sauropod

n3wb
Reaction score
I think it was well worth it and I'm already considering upgrading to a newer firmware for more features such as the ones Alistair suggested.

However, I'd be lying if I didn't warn you to set some dedicated time aside to encounter issues and pull your hair out as you attempt to resolve them. At the same time, yours might go very smoothly. At least someone did this before you. :)

After the upgrade, I do have a warning that says I'm using too much power on my PoE ports, but that's only because it thinks I'm supplying 3k watts per unused Ethernet port, which is a benign error. Everything else seems to work swimmingly and I really like the added features such as being able to have zoom capabilities on the mobile app, higher resolution on the mobile app and the ability for my main hdmi display to zoom in on a particular channel when movement is detected. The Swann mobile app and NVR is garbage in my opinion.

I would suggest if you can find a way through another tftp program to download and backup your existing firmware from Swann that you do it. I don't think the Hikvision tftp program will let you "get" the file from the target, but another general tftp program out there should give you that ability. Swann will not give you the original firmware file.

Let me know if you run into any issues. And do set some time aside to work through any issues. Otherwise it was well worth it. I'll try and help with any knowledge should you encounter issues.

bjtech

n3wb
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can provide any suggestions. I have tried every method of upgrading my Swann firmware to Hikvision and have yet to be successful. Swann web interface and Hikvision each say that upgrading has failed. TFTP connects and goes through the whole process except for the final indication that the upgrade was successful. After the TFTP, the NVR reboots and appears to have done a factory reset but still has the original Swann firmware. I have tried a few different versions of firmware and several different PCs.

I have the same model as sauropod "Swann/Costco model (CONV16-b3mp8c / http://www.costco.com/Swann-16-Chann...100144944.html) corresponds to the Hikvision 7816 series, not 7616, and not 7116".

Just looking for suggestions to something I may have missed. Thanks.

sauropod

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sure what the issue could be. Maybe someone here can chime in to help.

When doid you buy your Costco Swann system? I wonder if Swann may have done something to prevent the NVR from being flashed with something other than their firmwares?

bjtech

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, its odd. Everything appears to be working like it should except for the NVR actually accepting the digicap.dav file. I even tried to rename it digicap.mav because I saw that was the extension of one of the Swann firmware versions.

I bought the system at the end of January '15, almost a year ago.

sauropod

n3wb
Reaction score
Strange. I bought my system end of December 2014 so we were only a month apart.

Do you (risky) want to try and upgrade to the WRONG firmware first to see if you can brick it, then update to the correct one like I did?

I originally updated to the 7616 series firmware.

This is risky though. If there were any way for you to retrieve/backup the original Swann firmware file somehow I would strongly advise it before you go doing what I did.

bjtech

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried the 7616 firmware and got the same results. This NVR will not accept any firmware file it seems. It doesn't matter if I try to load it through software, the web interface , or TFTP. When I try with TFTP, it says the file was transferred, but the NVR will not execute the run command on the new file. Not sure if there's anything else I can try?

What was the very first step you did in bricking your unit? Maybe if I duplicate exactly, it will break it?

sauropod

n3wb
Reaction score
The very first thing I did was load the 7616 firmware through the Swannview Plus app available for my MacBook.

You can also try loading it through the iVMS-4200 app if available for your operating system and it recognizes your NVR.

Are you using a Mac or Winblows? I don't know if the app is any different, but you never know.

Also it sounds like something else is at play here since tftp is able to transfer the file and your NVR actually beeps and reboots. The beep and reboot is supposed to be a good indication that tftp succeeded.

GBot

n3wb
Reaction score
And why you don't want to do this:
-You'll void your warranty
After flashing Hikvision firmware is it possible to flash the Swann firmware back and therefore un-void the warranty?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk